iCloud sync login: session expired

AlanTheBeast
AlanTheBeast
Community Member
edited December 2017 in Mac

I use Dropbox to sync between 2 Macs (home, office) and two iOS devices (mobile, home).
I would prefer to use iCloud for various reasons not the least of which is that I trust Apple 100x more than DB.

So, in the innocent belief that the issue had to be resolved by now, yesterday I changed the sync location from Dropbox to iCloud.

This morning, on the Mac the dreaded iCloud login appeared again.

So - switched it all back to Dropbox.

I have to assume this is an Apple issue more than a 1Password issue. Otherwise it would have been fixed - right?

So why can't Agilebits get Apple to address this?

Cheers,
Alan

1Password Version: 6.8.1 (Macs).
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Max OS, iOS (latest)
Sync Type: iCloud v Dropbox

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    edited September 2017

Hi @AlanTheBeast :)
    I can't speak for AgileBits but as far as I'm aware, Apple recently changed the iCloud reauthentication period to something much shorter than it used to be, presumably for security reasons. Checking the "Keep me signed in" box when logging in to iCloud should increase the time period between forced log ins to a much more manageable length, but other than that, there is nothing that can really be done. It was an Apple decision so it is entirely under their control.

As for better solutions, there is always the 1Password membership account which takes care of all of your syncing for you and eliminates the need to have a 3rd party solution at all, alongside other benefits. You might want to give that a try as a more reliable syncing method.

Cheers,
    Corey

• AlanTheBeast
    AlanTheBeast
    Community Member

Hi Corey: I've been a Mac/iOS user for a long time. My iCloud connection is always logged in for various reasons on various machines. It is only with 1Password that I get this login request daily.

Likewise, been using Dropbox pretty much since it started and using it to sync 1Password since I adopted it (great product).

However, since my hardware provider makes iCloud available for free (to 5 GB storage) I don't see why I should pay AgileBits for a service that I do not need. Dropbox is free too - just not my preferred method.

I paid for 1Password. That's all I need to pay for, IMO. If they want to provide syncing for me, then include that in the price I've paid. I'm certainly not paying $36+tax per year for that.

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

That's fine, you don't have to. I was just trying to suggest some other options. As far as I'm aware, and, again, I don't speak for AgileBits, the iCloud login thing is entirely an Apple issue and something Apple is unlikely to change. If you click the "keep me logged in" box, you should only be asked approximately once per month, from what I have heard.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@AlanTheBeast: I'm a bit surprised that you're referring to this as a year-long issue, as this is a relatively recent change Apple has made with iCloud authentication and expiration. Certainly it's possible that there's a deeper problem that's been affecting you in that time frame though. Either way, I'm sorry that there isn't much we can do to help, but I've found Apple to be pleasant to work with when I've had issues.

What I can tell you though, which may at least help put your mind at ease and provide a workable way forward, is that Corey_C is dead on: checking the "keep me signed in" box when reauthenticating, according to Apple (and my own experience) gets you a much longer token. I believe it's meant to be 30 days. Not checking that box, however, will result in you having to login again every 8 hours or so — certainly every day as your describing.

The reason for this is that, if you're using the AgileBits Store version of 1Password for Mac, it cannot sync with iCloud the way that App Store apps can. The APIs that hook into the iCloud setup you have setup for the system are only available in the App Store, so we created AgileCloudSDK so that AgileBits Store customers could sync with iCloud as well, which was not possible for a long time. The plus side is that I actually use a different iCloud account for 1Password than I do at the system level for everything else. But the downside is that this (using CloudKitJS) is subject to different policies than "regular" iCloud syncing.

That doesn't offer much help, but as Corey mentioned there are alternatives. And I will say that if you're checking that box and still having to login every day, I'd definitely try disabling and reenabling it to get a fresh token, and get in touch with Apple if the problem persists. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• AlanTheBeast
    AlanTheBeast
    Community Member
    edited September 2017

@Corey_C + @brenty. Thanks for the clarification. I'll give it one more whirl. If it goes 30 days, that'll be a fine compromise.

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

:) :+1:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good. Let us know how it goes! :)

• AlanTheBeast
    AlanTheBeast
    Community Member
    edited December 2017

Well - it's Baaaaaaacccckkkkkk. Since the above escapade, haven't had to log into iCloud at all at home or work.

But now ...

Currently: office MacBookAir - no need to log into the iCloud at all. It just syncs fine. (Updated to MacOS 10.13.2 a couple months ago).

But at home, same OS, same Chrome, same 1Password, it's asking for the iCloud password daily. (Updated to 10.13.2 last week).

Will likely switch to Dropbox again. Not my preferred solution.

Edit: I just noticed what brenty had mentioned about a token - so I'll disconnect and reconnect the home iMac when I get home tonight and see if that resolves it...

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@AlanTheBeast -- yep, give that a shot, and let us know how it goes!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

We've closed this thread because there are several like it; if you've found your way here and still have questions about iCloud sign-in prompts, please visit the main announcement thread. Thank you!

This discussion has been closed.