To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

replaced my phone can't login to 1password due to need for secret key

Options
jfielder
jfielder
Community Member

I lost my a few weeks ago and have since then received a replacement phone. This past weekend, I tried to login to 1password, in order to login to my online banking to pay a bill. Unfortunately, my information didn't transfer to my phone. When I try to login to the app on the phone, it asks me for my secret key... when i try to login to the website, it ask for my secret key, when I try to change my password, because I forgot it, I can't do anything due to the need for that damn secret key... I'm extremely frustrated at this point, because, I have tried emailing tech support, and you all don't have a phone number to call so that I can explain my issue... I'm at a point in which I am considering canceling my account if I don't get help soon, and just finding another application to fulfill my needs... please help...

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there @jfiedler :)
    Sorry for the trouble. Let me see if I can help you figure this out. The secret key is only something that is needed if you have a 1Password.com membership? Do you pay monthly for 1Password or did you buy a single purchase license? If you have a subscription, your secret key should be located on the emergency kit you were given when first creating your account and can also be found on other devices with which you have signed on to 1Password before as outlined here.

If you do not have a subscription account, the secret key is not necessary and you can choose one of the other sync methods on the welcome screen for the iOS app.

Hope that helps :)
    Corey

• jfielder
    jfielder
    Community Member
    Options

Unfortunately, I did sign up for a subscription account... I wish I hadn't at this point... the only place that I logged into 1password was from my IPhone... when I try to request information, it finds my email address and a portion of the key

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

When you signed up for your account originally, you were provided with an emergency kit that contained your login information, including your secret key. Did you keep that anywhere?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jfielder: Also, if you have iCloud Keychain enabled, the Secret key may be saved there as well (depending on when you signed up). But no matter what, AgileBits never has your Secret Key and so we cannot send it to you. This is yours and yours alone, generated on your device when you signed up, and never transmitted to us. Your data is encrypted with your Secret Key and Master Password, so both are needed to decrypt it. There just isn't any way around that. However, do you have your account information saved elsewhere, or 1Password setup on another device/browser which you could use to retrieve it? Let me know!

• jfielder
    jfielder
    Community Member
    Options

That's my bad, that I don't recall getting the emergency kit or where I replaced it... if I can't find it, would I have to basically start over and loose everything?

• jfielder
    jfielder
    Community Member
    Options

I did find my old phone, maybe I can get it from there... if so, I will, and I will revert back to the standalone account... I'll let you know, thanks for responding so quickly, if that doesn't work, I'll just have to go to something more intuitive and simplistic

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jfielder: Yes! If you have your 1Password.com account setup on your old phone, you can find the Secret Key and other account details (except for your Master Password, you'll need to know that) under 1Password Settings > Accounts. Does that help?

• jfielder
    jfielder
    Community Member
    Options

I believe so, with that information I should be able to hopefully reset everything and move things to my new phone... thanks again...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2017
    Options

@jfielder: Sure thing! Let me know if you have any other questions! All you need to do is use the account credentials to sign in, and you'll be all set.

And just to clarify, there is no "standalone account". If you'd been using the standalone app, you'd be in a similar situation, except that you would not have an offsite backup of your data on 1Password.com that you could access with your account details; if something happened to your phone, all your data would be gone. This isn't a particularly exciting feature for most folks...until they're in a situation when they need it, and then it can be a real lifesaver. :blush:

ref: QYT-72864-134

• jamesbeedy
    jamesbeedy
    Community Member
    Options

I'm in a similar situation. I re-imaged my machine (the only machine I've ever used 1password with) and neglected to backup my emergency kit. Since there is no way to retrieve the secret-key, is there a way to delete my old 1password account and start a new one? - So I'm not paying for this account that I can't access.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jamesbeedy: Ah, I hear you. That makes sense. If you signed up through iTunes, just cancel your subscription there and then follow the instructions in the account deletion email I've sent. And if you signup through 1Password.com directly, deleting the account will cancel billing as well so that's all you need to do. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• jamesbeedy
    jamesbeedy
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty excellent. Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're very welcome! Cheers! :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.