Unable to sync between 1Password 4 and Android

Bevis_Ortiz
Bevis_Ortiz
Community Member

Hi !

I'm using 1Password 4 on Windows 8.1 and I sync my files with my Android device through WLAN. Everything used to work fine until recently since I cannot sync both devices anymore. It looks like the Android app can't see the PC and can't sync with the WLAN server. On the Android app, I get a 'Protocol exception (Connection timed out)' error.

I'm puzzled since I didn't change anything on both apps (didn't modify any settings on my PC as far as I can remember), may this be related to recent updates of the Android app since everything worked fine a few weeks ago ? (I suspected version 6.6 to be the culprit but upgrading to 6.6.1 today didn't change anything).

Using 4.6.2.626 on Windows 8.1 and 6.6.1 on Android 7. I have an error log on Android if this helps.

Thanks for your help ;)

Bevis

1Password Version: 4.6.2.626 + 6.6.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:sync android windows

Comments

• Hey @Bevis_Ortiz. The 'Connection timed out' error you're seeing usually indicates that the Network Discovery Service we use on Android can't locate Bonjour on your PC. Can you confirm that Bonjour is installed and running on your PC?

• Bevis_Ortiz
    Bevis_Ortiz
    Community Member

Hi @peri, thanks for your post ! I can't see anything close to a 'Bonjour' service on my PC, either in Program Files or in the global Windows apps list. What's the way to ensure 'Bonjour' is installed ?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Bevis_Ortiz: Confusingly, it's often called "Bonjour Print Services" or similar. If it's installed, you'd see it in Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel. Maybe called something slightly different on Windows 8. I can't recall. But it's more likely that something is simply blocking your devices from seeing each other. Be sure to follow the steps in this guide, as it will help you narrow down the problem:

If you’re having trouble using the WLAN server

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Bevis_Ortiz
    Bevis_Ortiz
    Community Member

Hi @Brenty,
    Thanks for your reply. I have a 'Bonjour printer wizard' entry in the Programs screen, as well as a 'Bonjour' entry in Add/Remove Programs, so it's there. There's also a 'Bonjour service' task running in the background.
    I had followed the advice of the WLAN Troubleshooting page before posting, to no avail.
    Just for the record, I un- and reinstalled 1Password 4 and updated Android app to 6.6.2 but the bug persists.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Bevis_Ortiz: Reinstalling won't make a difference, as this isn't a bug in 1Password; your devices simply aren't able to communicate with each other over the network, and the connection attempt is timing out as a result. There just isn't anything 1Password can do to fix that. Definitely check out the other sync options though, as Dropbox and 1Password.com don't depend as heavily on the network environment. They just need internet access to sync data.

This discussion has been closed.