How do I find my secret key if it's not in 1pw preferences and can't remember my login for Families

Options
lpedro
lpedro
Community Member

I'm trying to access 1password.com on a new device because I've lost my secret key. It's not in my 1password preferences, and I don't remember my login url for Families. I have the license number for Families, but that's all. Please help.

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.8.1 (681006) AgileBits Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.12.3
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:forgot secret key and can't find it on my preferences

Comments

• Hi @lpedro,

We’ve outlined the various places you can locate your Secret Key here:

Find your Secret Key or Setup Code

That said, are you sure you actually have a 1Password Families membership? 1Password Families is a subscription membership service. If you’re not paying a subscription, you don’t have a membership (and thus don’t have a Secret Key or sign-in address). Without a membership you cannot login on 1Password.com. With a standalone license (sans-membership) to access your data from a new device you’ll need to manually set up syncing:

Sync your 1Password data

I hope that helps!

Ben

• lpedro
    lpedro
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, Ben. I have an email that says that I have a Family License. It contains a license key for 1Password 4 and the license for 1Password 6. I'll happily send a screenshot of the email if this is a private conversation. I don't want to post that information on the Forum for others to see, however.

• lpedro
    lpedro
    Community Member
    Options

• lpedro
    lpedro
    Community Member
    Options

Above is a picture of my email, referred to in my earlier comment.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@lpedro: If you only purchased a license for the standalone 1Password app, you won't have a Secret Key, or a 1Password.com account, which they are part of. If you'd like to move to a 1Password.com account, you can sign up for the free trial. Otherwise you'll need to configure sync as Ben suggested to access your data on another device.

• lpedro
    lpedro
    Community Member
    Options

Is there a difference between a Family Account, which the license is for and Families?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@lpedro: 1Password Families is part of our 1Password.com hosted service, which gives you access to all of the apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data. So yeah, it's pretty different, since otherwise 1Password is a separate purchase for each device. You can learn more about the features here:

https://support.1password.com/why-account/

So, for example, if you purchased a more expensive family license years ago, it entitles you to use that specific version of 1Password, and then you sync your own data. 1Password.com memberships include everything, including offsite backup and zero-configuration syncing. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• lpedro
    lpedro
    Community Member
    Options

I did purchase a family license a couple of years ago, I guess, and I've been syncing through Dropbox. My husband and I run it on our Macs, Windows, and iOS devices. Does Families cover two people on all of their devices, or is there a higher charge for additional people?

If I decide that I want to change to Families, can I easily port all of my data from my license into Families?

• AskAli
    AskAli
    Community Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

@lpedro: Oh yes, it's very easy to change to a 1Password subscription. You can find some directions here:

How to Migrate to 1Password

Also 1Password for families covers all devices, even cross platform for up to 5 family members for $4.99 a month, billed annually. Ever addition family member after 5 is $1 added to that monthly charge (billed annually) otherwise it covers 5.

Family memberships as @brenty said earlier come with web access, offline access, automatic sync, includes all future upgrades at no additional cost etc.

Here are some of the key differences:

Benefits

Hope that helps! Let me know if you need anything else.

Ali

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I did purchase a family license a couple of years ago, I guess, and I've been syncing through Dropbox. My husband and I run it on our Macs, Windows, and iOS devices. Does Families cover two people on all of their devices, or is there a higher charge for additional people?

@lpedro: It was never possible to purchase "family" licenses for the mobile apps, and each platform is a separate purchase when you're not using a 1Password.com membership. So for example if you have a license for 1Password for Mac, you'd need to purchase the iOS version separately for each of you (if you haven't already).

If I decide that I want to change to Families, can I easily port all of my data from my license into Families?

Yep! And if you have any questions at all during the process of setting up and account and migrating your data, definitely shoot us an email at support@1password.com so we can help you make the transition. :chuffed:

• lpedro
    lpedro
    Community Member
    Options

Yes. I guess we must have purchased the iOS apps, then - so we've invested quite a bit in 1Password, already. I'm trying out the Families membership to see if it's worth the extra $60 per year.

Thanks for the help that all of you provided. I really appreciate it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@lpedro: Sure thing! Definitely shoot us an email then. We'll be happy to help. :)

This discussion has been closed.