Feature Request - Secure Notes Style Info Manager

Options
Peter_Pappas
Peter_Pappas
Community Member

I see pre-made layouts for things like Identities, Credit Cards, Social Security, Software Licenses ect. Pretty cool.

I can hear the reasons "why not" but I don't like any I have heard so far. A feature i would like to have is a something I am not sure what it is called. If I invoke words like Rolodex, Contact Manager, Phone book, they are on target but take things too far.

What I would like is something close to Secure Notes but a little more. There would be a single-line alphabetized list on the left, a blank page on the larger window on the right that would work like a really pain-Jane word processor. No fields except for the first line which would become the title field for the left column. Copy and paste would work, spell check would work, hyperlinks would not work, nor would pasting anything other than text. The list AND the "cards" would have to be searchable too.

To expand this even more, I would like to have more than one of these, having the ability to add alphabetized managed and secure lists as I need more. Like a recipe list, a parts list, anything I can catalog. Some would not be necessary to be secure, but it would be the main and centralized location to organize many different type of lists. They all work the same, only the "title" of the list differentiates dictates what is in it. Very similar to Secure Notes, but customizable, searchable, alphabitizable, and a few WordPad type things to work in them.

Peter

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Peter_Pappas: Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts on this! I wish I had better news for you, but the reality is that this isn't something we're going to do for the foreseeable future, for a few important reasons:

There's an app for that.

The are already fantastic apps out there designed expressly for organizing these (and really, any) kinds of things. And having that focus gives them an edge over others. Similarly, 1Password is designed to be a password manager first and foremost, so while it isn't the best text editor or information database, it doesn't have to be; just like something like Evernote doesn't feel bad because it can't help us save and fill logins for websites. :)

An app shouldn't do too much.

In a similar vein, if we turn every good idea into a feature, everything an app does will be mediocre. Certainly 1Password is not the best app for many tasks, and it isn't meant to be. That focus allows us to make the experience for the most common tasks better than they would be if we focused on doing everything. Just look at iTunes. ;)

For example, browser integration is one of 1Password's oldest features, but if we'd stopped there after we shipped that, it would be much less useful today. So, since it's one of our core features, this is something we never stop refining.

There are only so many hours in a day.

Certainly we could devote resources to something like this in the future if we start hearing from all of our customers that this is something they want 1Password to do. But that would mean not doing many other things. So for the time being, because we prioritize the work we do based on what will do the most good for the greatest number of users, this isn't going to make it to the top of the list. I'd like to say someday perhaps we'll finish what's on our todo list now and this bubbles up to the top, but the reality is that we can never really clear our plates: there's always more work to do to ensure that 1Password's core functionality — security and convenience, going hand-in-hand with things like browser and OS support — is solid...and we tend to find ourselves with plenty of other feature requests from users as well. :lol:

So that's it then?

Admittedly, there are probably things we can do to make Secure Notes (and perhaps other Notes fields) more useful, so we may have something more to say on this down the road. I'm not certain that any improvements we make will go far enough to satisfy what you're after here, but there may be something we can do that you will find useful to you as well, which can be of benefit to an even greater number of people. That's what we're after. Search is a good example of an area that would help not only the use case you're describing, but all 1Password users. :sunglasses:

At the end of the day, 1Password is meant for storing sensitive information. That's our focus. It's really convenient for that, and it can certainly be tempting to want it do be a much more general-purpose information repository. But better tools for storing insensitive data already exist (and frankly they are more efficient for this use because they require less robust security), and for now at least the demand and means to fill it just isn't there. And great features, like Documents, which we already have, mean that if you do have specialized files you want to secure with 1Password, you can. Cheers! :)

• Peter_Pappas
    Peter_Pappas
    Community Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

Thank you.

Peter

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of @brenty, you're quite welcome, @Peter_Pappas -- I hope that's shed some light on things. Enjoy your week! :)

This discussion has been closed.