Touch ID unavailable, Master Password required [under investigation]

Options
rlgleason51
rlgleason51
Community Member
edited September 2017 in iOS

Just noticed this on my iPad Air 2 today. Have not noticed this on my iPhone 7+.

If I use 1P in succession, my touchid works to open. If time goes by, maybe an hour or more, I need to renter my master passwords.

Any ideas?

I have account version of 1P and ios 11.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Mes
    Mes
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem after updating to ios 11 (iPhone SE and 1Password 6.9)

• lvl2pillow
    lvl2pillow
    Community Member
    Options

I have also noticed this issue. It’s quite annoying having to type my password everytime I return to my device. This only started happening after upgrading to iOS 11. Using iPad Pro.

• Hi folks,

Do you see a fingerprint icon on the unlock screen when entering your Master Password? If so does tapping on that bring up Touch ID?

Please let us know.

Ben

• Mes
    Mes
    Community Member
    Options

Today I restarted the phone for the first time after upgrading to ios 11 and the problem doesn't occur for some hours. I will report tomorrow if the problem occurs again. But for now it is worth to try to shut down and restart the phone.

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    Options

No. I do not see the icon. It acts the pad was rebooted

• We are investigating the possibility that the way we check if the device has rebooted no longer functions on iOS 11 the same way it did on iOS 10. It may be that we need to determine this in a different way. We don't know yet if that is the case, but it is one theory. We're working on adding some additional logging to the app that should help us determine why this is happening in some cases (but not others).

In the mean time if you'd prefer to frequently use Touch ID I'd suggest setting 1Password > Settings > Advanced > Security > Require Master Password to never, if it is not already.

Thanks.

Ben

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Likewise, thanks for your feedback on this, and patience as we get to the bottom of it!

• steven1
    steven1
    Community Member
    Options

Another vote for a fix.

Losing TouchID functionality unexpectedly is really problematic and a serious productivity killer.

• alienmeatsack
    alienmeatsack
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem here. I do see the Fingerprint icon and pressing it allows me to Touch ID back in. But its also happening to me every single time I try and use it after a certain pause between uses. I have Autolock set to 2 mins FYI.

On iPad Pro v2 running official iOS 11 release.

• Mes
    Mes
    Community Member
    Options

As I mentioned earlier after I restarted the phone I don't have this problem anymore. Touch ID works fine.

• steven1
    steven1
    Community Member
    Options

I suspect people who are seeing the fingerprint icon have the "Require Master Password" set to 'Never'.

For people like me who have this set to "After Device Restart", the fingerprint icon is not there. This is a problem as I am forced to now enter my master pw in a location that I do not consider secure. E.g. at a train station.

This has happened before. Dear 1PW, please fix this asap :-)

Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the feedback! We'll see if we can figure out why 1Password can't detect this as well in iOS 11, and find a better way of doing things if possible.

• Mes
    Mes
    Community Member
    Options

Just for the record, I always had and have master password set for "2 minutes" and "after device restart". After updating to ios11 I had this problem, but after I restarted device the problem is gone. I can not guarantee though that restarting phone solved the problem as I was also playing at that time with settings like disabling and enabling again TouchID, etc.

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

I've restarted my devices but still have the issue of touchid timing out. Ben's suggestion of setting to never needing the master password works, but I do not like it.

BTW and FWIW: just got a new iPad Pro 10.5 and it has the same issue.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Mes, @rlgleason51: Thanks for the extra detail! "After Device Restart" works for me (1Password Settings > Advanced > Security > Require Master Password), so we'll have to figure out what might cause this to not work in some scenarios. Thanks for your patience. :blush:

• drego85
    drego85
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,
    I have the same problem with iPhone SE and iPad Mini 4th with iOS 11.

After rebooting, the Touch ID works for a few hours. After a few hours instead, the master password is repeatedly asked, and the TouchID stops going.

Thanks
    Andrea

• Hi @drego85

We are investigating why this is happening for some folks, but in the mean time this may help:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/391457/#Comment_391457

Ben

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

My wife has this issue too, keep kicking her out. Mine isn’t too bad, I just have to click the “fingerprint” on the screen so I can use Touch ID.

• @prime Does setting 1Password > Settings > Advanced > Security > Require Master Password to never work around the issue?

We do hope to have this fixed up in the next update.

Ben

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

@Ben I actually tried this (after deleting the app and reinstalling it) and I still get it.

So it just happened again. This is what I get 4-6 times a day. I have it switched to require master password to never. At least I don’t have to put in my password, but still a pain lol.

• I see. Thanks prime. We refer to this screen as “Quick Unlock + Master Password.” Hopefully the next update will resolve this, but if not we’ll keep digging. :)

Ben

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben thanks! It would happen and I never thought to take a screen shot to help you guys. Sorry it took so long.

• No worries :+1:

Ben

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

I just started using touch id with 1Password and testing different things.
    I tested using the wrong finger to see what would happen. Yes it ask for password after so many false try’s just like it is supposed too, but after re-entering the password touch id does not re-enable for 1Password. In fact after trying this touch id will not show up in 1Password security settings.
    So To fix you have to go to iOS settings and disable re-enable touch id for your apple device.
    Then it will show back in 1Password Security enabled and it works again.
    How many people are going to try false try’s on you own app so no biggie, it is supposed to ask for password after two many false try’s but how this relates to asking for a password after hours go by I have not experanced that yet so if that happen then something is up.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

I just found the require master password in advance, security and the issue above only happen when never is selected so I tried (after restart) and after false try’s like (never) it ask for password, only this time touch id continues to be in security and works normal.
    This may be designed that way.
    Still waiting to see after several hours if it ask for password and I will keep in (after restart mode) while waiting.

• We’re aware of a bug in the way we determine if the device has restarted and are working to fix that in the next update.

Ben

• El Duderino
    El Duderino
    Community Member
    Options

I disabled touch ID, submitted the master password then enabled touch ID and only had to use the touch ID for a couple of hours. The problem did return asking for the master password again though that only used to happen on restarting the device pre-iOS 11.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2017
    Options

I'm going to call you @El Duderino because I'm not into the whole brevity thing, OK? ;)

Yes, this is a bug -- specifically one in the way 1Password for iOS determines if the device has been restarted. Our developers are aware of it and already at work on a fix, hopefully in time for the next update. Apologies for the inconvenience in the meantime, and keep an eye on the updates. Let us know if there's anything else we can assist you with. :)

• drego85
    drego85
    Community Member
    Options

News for this fix?

This discussion has been closed.