browser vs app: best way to access 1Password?

Options
williamporter
williamporter
Community Member

Trying to grok the pros and cons of accessing 1Password in my browser versus in the app. Or since I prefer the browser version (the app's UI is really dated) I guess my real question is, what are the pros and cons of accessing 1Password in my browser?

1Password Version: 6.8.2
Extension Version: 4.6.11.91
OS Version: OS X 10.12.6
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there @williamporter :)
    Do you mean between using the full app and the browser extension? Opening the full app shouldn't really be necessary very often. 1Password's autofill functionalities are mainly done through mini and the browser extensions. The full app is necessary to be installed, of course, but I generally don't find myself opening it unless I need to do some heavy editing or changing preferences or what not, not for your routine saving and filling operations.

That's just me, though. :)

• williamporter
    williamporter
    Community Member
    Options

Corey, no, I wasn't talking about the browser extension. I'm talking about going to the URL for my 1Password account, you know, something like, williamporter.1password.com. (That's not it, just an example.) When I open that site, I can view my vaults, edit records, etc. It's not as full-featured as the 1Password 6 app, but it's pretty good. So I'm wondering, is there anything wrong with just using the web site to organize my passwords?

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

No @williamporter, there isn't anything particularly wrong about doing it that way that I am aware of if that's how you want to do it. :) Although the UI for viewing and editing vaults in the web version is the same as the app so I admit you leave me puzzled as to why.

• williamporter
    williamporter
    Community Member
    Options

Corey, the UI for the web app is NOT the same as for the desktop app. The data types are the same, the general workflow is almost the same. But the web app is much more visually appealing than the desktop app for Mac, which looks to me very dated, especially by comparison to Dashlane. But thanks for the exchange. I think you confirmed my sense that working with the web app is satisfactory and I'll stick with it (at least until I have to go to the desktop app). Thanks.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @williamporter - glad to hear you like the look of our web app for 1Password accounts. It's fine to use that if you prefer the look of it...but as it's a web app and not a native application, you won't be able to fill in or automatically save (or change) logins while using the web app. The javascript magic that allows you to fill your forms with a single click is only available using the 1Password extension, which connects to the 1Password mini. In the web app, you can copy/paste your passwords and username, but not fill automatically.

• williamporter
    williamporter
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars: Yes I understand that the extension is necessary for filling in form fields and login fields automatically.

I was just asking about the difference between the full web app and the desktop app (1Password.app) for the task of managing my 1Password data. Thanks.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@williamporter -- fair enough! Enjoy using 1Password's web app. :)

This discussion has been closed.