Is there a simple way to transfer my passwords from Safari keychain Access to 1password ?

Options
Tylerspapa
Tylerspapa
Community Member

I have a Mac Book Pro with Safari 11.0 . I just opened up a 1password monthly paid account & would like to transfer my key chain access passwords to 1password .
I followed some instructions from 1password support that was very complicated & I lost my way along the way & had to give up . I'm looking for an easier way to access my passwords from 1password to my MacBook Pro ,iPhone 7plus & Ipad2

1Password Version: 6.8.2
Extension Version: 4.6.1
OS Version: Mac OS Siera 10.12.6
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:Is there a simple way to transfer my passwords from Safari keychain Access to 1password ?

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited September 2017
    Options

@Tylerspapa ,

Safari passwords are stored in the Keychain, either a local keychain or iCloud keychain. You have to export them. The tool that does this is the security tool, which is a command line tool.

The local keychain is easily exported via security. The iCloud keychain requires making a local copy of the items, and exporting them also via security. Unfortunately, there can be some issues here.

The complexity is due to Apple's closed nature on this. It is also extremely cumbersome. I don't know of any other way.

Ask if you need some live help.

• McTylerspapa
    McTylerspapa
    Community Member
    Options

Wow I really need help with this

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Hi @McTylerspapa ,

This thread's title, "Is there a simple way to transfer..." has a simple answer. No. There is no simple way to transfer data on macOS that is stored in the Keychain, and it can be very difficult to impossible to do so for data that is synced to iCloud (e.g. the iCloud Keychain), especially since High Sierra.

I often offer to help people remotely when they have trouble with some conversion. In this case, I cannot do that, because the steps required reveal confidential information, and I don't want to see yours.

I've tried to be as detailed as possible to help you export the contents of the local Keychain - it should still work - it is cumbersome - but you should be able to get some entries. For those that are in iCloud, if the steps are too difficult, or if they ultimately don't work anyway, there's not much anyone can do.

The best solution for you might be to start using 1Password as usual, open up Keychain Access in macOS, and look through various keychains, at each of the entries in that keychain, and start creating new entries in 1Password as you need to use them, or when you feel like doing some work.

• Tylerspapa
    Tylerspapa
    Community Member
    Options

How do I access the security tool? I'm not familiar with the command line tool option

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited November 2017
    Options

@Tylerspapa ,

All of this is detailed very carefully in the README.pdf. Download version 1.10 of the converter suite. It is located in Testing Bits, mentioned in the first post. The README.pdf steps tell you to go to section Exporting from your Password Manager, and within that section, there is a Keychain sub-section with the directions.

• Gusto777
    Gusto777
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MrC I'm using your script in conjunction with the CLI security tool to export from the keychain in ios 10.12.6 bit am still needing to enter my keychain password for every single entry. Am I missing something? Is there a way to override the password requirement with a sudo command or something? Thank you!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@Gusto777,

High Sierra, and a subsequent update, made this very difficult. I have yet to find a way to script the automation of the now-required password entry per item.

• Gusto777
    Gusto777
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC I'm still using Sierra, but it's obviously exhibiting the same behavior. Thank you for the response -- I know you contribute a great deal to the 1P community.

• Gusto777
    Gusto777
    Community Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

@MrC -- This did the trick! I set a variable for the password and plugged it into the text field and used this script to write the text file from keychain to the desktop.

set keychainPassword to "PASSWORD"
    tell application "System Events"
        repeat while exists (processes where name is "SecurityAgent")
            tell process "SecurityAgent"
                set value of text field 1 of window 1 to keychainPassword
                click button "Allow" of window 1
            end tell
            delay 0.3
        end repeat
    end tell

Thank you for your work... it still saved me HUGE amounts of time.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Gusto777 -- on behalf of @MrC - who I'm sure is busy with his actual job - glad this worked for you! Thanks for sharing your script with us as well. Cheers! :)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

As an FYI for future reference, I just posted an update to version 1.10 of the converter suite - it does a better, more complete job of automating Keychain export / conversion.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

So great! Thank you! :) :+1:

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Our thanks again, @MrC πŸ‘πŸ»

• WolfSnap
    WolfSnap
    Community Member
    Options

@Gusto777 Can you briefly explain how you use that script to export iCloud Keychain data? I can't quite figure out how you'd use it...

• WolfSnap
    WolfSnap
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC But, iCloud's keychain doesn't show in the list... Still doesn't seem like a solution to me...

My understanding is that I can copy all the iCloud keychain into a new keychain, but, I'd need to type my password 650 or so times. That script automates that process.. BUT, I don't know how to actually use it.. LOL

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@WolfSnap ,

Open Script Editor.

Paste the script above into the open document.

Replace the word PASSWORD with your own keychain's password.

Press the Run button after you've started the copy process for copying your iCloud keychain items to the local keychain you created.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@WolfSnap ,

Yes, sorry, we cross posted, and I deleted my post. See my new post above.

• WolfSnap
    WolfSnap
    Community Member
    Options

@ MrC Perfect.. Thanks! :)

• Gusto777
    Gusto777
    Community Member
    Options

@WolfSnap Did the script work for you?

• WolfSnap
    WolfSnap
    Community Member
    Options

@Gusto777 Did not work. In fact, copying/pasting from the iCloud keychain, with OR without the script fails on 10.13.4.

Bummer... :(

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@WolfSnap ,

I may have an updated script for you tomorrow on this. I revised it recently, but no longer needed it after I rewrote the keychain converter.

• WolfSnap
    WolfSnap
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC Fantastic.. Let me know.. Love to give it a try :)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@WolfSnap ,

I'm continually getting this dialog now with the latest High Sierra update:

I can't get a single iCloud keychain item to copy/paste in Keychain Access. Are you able to copy/paste just one?

• WolfSnap
    WolfSnap
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC Nope.. That's the same issue I'm seeing too. I'm actually running 10.13.5 (beta), and it's doing it there too..

I also tried to disable iCloud keychain and keep the passwords. It becomes 'local storage' or something like that, but, it still won't copy. I haven't tried to reboot after turning off keychain though -- maybe that would free up the resource? Not sure....

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited April 2018
    Options

@WolfSnap ,

It seems Apple has yet again changed/broken this functionality. Unless you can get Keychain Access to perform the simple copy, the script has no chance of assisting.

I too went through the entire disable/re-enable proces - no luck. I'm pretty sure Apple has changed something, but has not updated Keychain Access to handle this change.

For posterity, and in the event something gets fixed, the newer script I've been using is:

set keychainPassword to "x"

tell application "System Events"
        repeat while exists (processes where name is "SecurityAgent")
            tell process "SecurityAgent"
                set frontmost to true
                if (count of windows) > 0 then
                    set window_name to name of front window
                end if
                try
                    # keystroke "password"
                    keystroke keychainPassword
                    delay 0.1
                    keystroke return
                    delay 0.1
                on error
                    -- do nothing to skip the error
                end try
            end tell
            delay 0.5
        end repeat
    end tell

• jonycgn
    jonycgn
    Community Member
    Options

Hey,

thanks for posting all this info here! I'm a new 1Password user and had similar issues exporting my Keychain passwords in High Sierra. However, I didn't even get as far as this. Just moving my saved passwords from iCloud Keychain to a local keychain never worked. I would get the following error message: "One or more parameters passed to a function were not valid". This would happen regardless of how many logins I was trying to move.

So I decided to skip Keychain Access entirely. I posted an AppleScript here which copies each username/password combination from the Safari Preferences window into TextEdit.

The script comes with a complete set of instructions.

Hope someone will find this useful, it worked decent for me!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@jonycgn ,

Yes, the copy of the iCloud Keychain seems no longer reliable or possible.

So I'd written GetSafariPasswords, an AppleScript to copy Safari passwords. See:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/455305/#Comment_455305

• jonycgn
    jonycgn
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, seems like when I wrote this, you hadn't posted it yet (it took me a few days from writing it to posting it). No harm done then!

• Ben
    Options

:+1: :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.