I use Apple Mail. How do I set passwords so my mail from iCloud and Gmail will be accessible to me?

allenrwilson
allenrwilson
Community Member

Using Apple Mail my iCloud and Gmail accounts automatically download to my computer. How do I correctly set-up passwords that Apple Mail will accept?

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.8.2 (682003) AgileBits Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I use Apple Mail. How do I set passwords so my mail from iCloud and Gmail will be accessible to me?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2017

@allenrwilson: Thanks for reaching out. I’m not sure what you're asking though, and how it pertains to 1Password. If you just mean you want to save your Gmail and iCloud login credentials in 1Password for reference, you can create a new Login item for each in your 1Password vault. But if you mean filling these login credential in the Mail app using 1Password, that is not possible; Apple does not provide a way for 1Password to integrate with it, so you'll need to copy and paste. But you can use the 1Password browser extension to fill your login credentials on websites. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• allenrwilson
    allenrwilson
    Community Member

Brent, thank you for a response. I want to have Mail download both my iCloud and Gmail accounts. I assume then, that I would have 1Password establish a new password for my account at both the iCloud and Gmail home pages. I would then copy the new passwords and paste them into my Mail account preferences. Does that sound right? I am sorry to be such a dummy!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@allenrwilson: Either way you can use 1Password to keep track of this sort of thing, but if you have a weak password for these accounts you can use 1Password to generate a strong one for you and store it securely:

Change your passwords and make them stronger

Then, any time you're prompted to sign in to your accounts, you'll be able to get the password from 1Password instead having to remember it yourself. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.