What are the implications of Face ID?

wkleem
wkleem
Community Member
edited September 2017 in iOS

I at this point am not buying an iPhone X nor do I trust Face ID when it was previously demonstrated to be easily fooled with a photograph on one of the Samsung Galaxy smartphones? Apple has apparently given up on making Touch ID work underneath glass. I am hoping, in the future, for a Touch ID which does work and that Face ID is just temporary until Apple can get Touch ID to work.

Another consideration is what will happen if a person's face and mouth becomes deformed (swollen) for a variety of reasons like being allergic to food causing a massive hives. Those can be life threatening.

How does anyone unlock their Face ID unlock phone then?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

Hi there @wkleem :)
    This would probably be better addressed by Apple than by anyone here, be it AgileBits team member or regular user, as nobody here is involved in or has any special info as to the development or workings of FaceID. I can try to give my personal input, but that is all it is, my personal input.

From what I understand, Apple's implementation of FaceID with the the 3D face mapping tech inside the phone, along with the attention requirement, is substantially more complex than what the Galaxy phones offered and will not be nearly as easy to defeat. Whether that holds true won't be answered until people get their hands on the phones and can test it.

As for what to do in the case of, for example, an allergy, I imagine a passcode is still an option for unlocking, same as it is with current TouchID phones.

• We have an announcement post on this here:

Face ID, iPhone X, and 1Password unlock — AgileBits Support Forum

:)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.