To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

iPhone app logged out of my standalone account, now I can't log back in w/o secret key

krustacean
krustacean
Community Member

My iPhone app logged out of my standalone account, now I can't log back in w/o secret key. I have tried multiple times to look up my license, but just end up in an endless loop of , "Click here to Apply Your 1Password License."

I also wanted to install 1password onto my new PC desktop, but ran into the same license issue.

1Password Version: 6.7.1
Extension Version: 4.6.11.91
OS Version: Sierra 10.12.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Hi @krustacean -- So, I think we might have to get on the same page, terminology-wise. I realize all these things are concerning more or less the same stuff...but we actually do mean different things when we say some of them, which can affect what we understand you to say and what we tell you to try.

For example, there is no such thing as a "standalone account." Using 1Password as a standalone app means you don't have an account, it means you've created local vaults and all your data is stored locally. You also should never see a request to apply a license in 1Password for iOS, because it isn't licensed in the traditional manner. Like all purchases made through the App Store, it is tied to your Apple ID, not a license key.

Let's start from the top: what devices do you have 1Password on (and if you could tell me what version of OS and of 1Password, that would be helpful), and what method of syncing your data have you been using up to now? Thanks in advance for the clarification.

• krustacean
    krustacean
    Community Member

Hello, what I mean is that I have a 1password account purchased individually in March 2016; I don't pay a monthly fee. I don't have a secret key, and the website tells me to look up my license to get my secret key.

I have 1password 6 on the following devices:
    Macbook air, OS 10.12.6
    iphone SE

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@krustacean -- Thanks for the clarification. What you purchased was a license, not an account. I'm sorry if that sounds pedantic, but they really are two different things: one is a one-time purchase for a single version of 1Password for Mac, the other is an ongoing subscription to a 1Password membership. Both are totally fine ways to use 1Password...but they function differently, which is why we take the time to figure out what you have -- so we can offer the right advice.

In your case, the reason you don't have a Secret Key is because you don't have an account. Standalone licenses for 1Password for Mac (or any version) don't use the Secret Key. In a standalone, local vault model, your Master Password is what protects your data. Let me ask for clarification -- do you have the same 1Password data in 1Password for Mac on your computer as you do on your iPhone SE. If so, what method were/are you using to sync that data between devices?

• krustacean
    krustacean
    Community Member

Yes, I had the same 1password data on my iphone as my Mac. I believe it was just syncing over wifi, if that is possible. Right now it is set to "WLAN."

I don't use iCloud.

Since I only have a licence and not an account, I guess that means that I can't put 1password on my new PC desktop?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@krustacean: Thanks for clarifying. You can use 1Password on your PC if you've purchased that app previously. But if you purchased 1Password for Mac, this will not work on your PC. If you haven't purchased the Windows app, you can get the latest version as part of a 1Password.com membership. You can try it for free for 30 days, and if you'll shoot us an email at support@1password.com from your account's registered email address we'll be happy to help you make the transition. Cheers! :)

• krustacean
    krustacean
    Community Member

but how can i use my licence on my iphone again? it keeps asking for a secret key...?

• @krustacean : on the first screen of the intro to 1Password for iOS you can choose WLAN sync which will let you set it up without having to have an account or secret key.

Rick

• CharlieMorss
    CharlieMorss
    Community Member

Wow, that was not intuitive

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Well, manually syncing vaults on a local network isn't intuitive either, so we do focus on streamlining the experience for normal use. Advanced users who want to use WLAN server are more than capable of navigating this — and managing their own network environments. Cheers! :sunglasses:

• chaserobinson
    chaserobinson
    Community Member

I have the beginning of my Secret Key but not the last part of it. I don't remember setting a secret key and everything that I would have used is not working. The only thing I can figure is to start over and create another account but I have $2.99 coming out of my bank account and don't want to get double charged because i have to use another email address and not the one that the $2.99 account was originally created with. What do I do? Is it possible for you to reset my secret key?

• @chaserobinson: We cannot reset your Secret Key for you, but we do have a support guide we've published that may help you hunt it down. This isn't something that you would have made up, but rather a random key that was generated locally on your device when you signed up. You can find that guide here:

https://support.1password.com/secret-key/

If the guide doesn't help, you're right that your best bet is to start over, and we'd be happy to help you sort out billing and everything there, but we'd need to do so via e-mail. So if you find you're still stuck after working through that guide, send an e-mail to support+forum@1password.com and include a link to this thread to help us connect the dots. If you let us know the support ID you receive in response here, that can help us track it down and get you sorted out more quickly. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.