At login, 1Pass. goes to website but does not use password to open the site, even though it has it.

roning
roning
Community Member

1Pass was working well for 2 months on 2 macs. Had to re-start 1 mac from backup and since then 1Pass on that mac will go the the selected website when "Logins" is used... but then stops; that is, it does not use the ID or password in its data list to open the website. Seems frozen. The other mac, however, still works fine. I have reloaded the 1Pass app as well as the Firefox extension but without luck. I have no idea why the app is not working. Help is needed. Thank you.

1Password Version: 6.8.2
Extension Version: 4.6.11.91 for Firefox
OS Version: OS X 10.10.5
Sync Type: ICloud
Referrer: forum-search:At login, 1Pass. goes to website but does not use password to open the site, even though it has it.

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@roning: Is this happening with every website on the one Mac, where it doesn't work, and you're able to use 1Password to login to those same sites on the other? Be sure to give me an example so I can test it. Also, how exactly are you trying to do this? Are you clicking the 1Password "keyhole" toolbar icon to select the login to fill, or using the ⌘ \ keyboard shortcut? Do either of those work for you? Also, which version of Firefox are you using in each case? Thanks in advance!

• roning
    roning
    Community Member
    1. Yes, 1Pass on my primary mac is not opening any or the eleven sites I have listed. (1Pass on the backup mac goes to and opens each site as expected.)
    2. On the backup mac, I can use the Firefox extension button or the 1Pass button in the information bar at the top of the desktop... with one click in Logins (for BofA for example) the app goes to the site, enters the name and password and opens the site.
    3. On both macs, I use only the keyhole buttons, no keystrokes.
    4. On the primary mac, the keyhole button at the top of the desk top will take me to the website but not enter the name or password. The extension button in Firefox does nothing art all... doesn't even open the 1Pass tool window.
    5. Using Firefox 42.0 in both.
    6. As mentioned, the primary mac had to restarted from backup; the 1Pass app and the data (11 sites and passwords) were reinstalled from Time Machine. Although I have downloaded new versions of the app and extension, something may have gone wrong with the data file. I just don't know enough about all this.
    7. Thanks for your help, Brently.
  • Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@roning - Can you do me a favor and look in your Applications folder on the Primary Mac? What do you see, for 1Password? Is there an app that says 1Password, an app that says 1Password 6, or both?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@roning: Ah! That's it! Firefox 42 is way out of date, and if that's the version you're using it will not work with the latest versions of 1Password and its extension. It does seem odd to me that you'd not be having the same issue on both Macs though, so there's probably another pice of the puzzle we're missing. Please do the following and we'll go from there:

1. Drag 1Password to the Trash (do NOT use a "cleaner" app!)
    2. Remove the 1Password extension from Firefox
    3. Drag Firefox to the Trash
    4. Restart your Mac
    5. Install a fresh copy of 1Password: https://1password.com/downloads/
    6. Install a fresh copy of Firefox: https://firefox.com/
    7. Install the latest 1Password extension: https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions

Let me know if that helps, and things are working as expected again. :)

• roning
    roning
    Community Member

Lars, In the Applications fold there is only the 1Password app. No folder or any other version. Following your thought, however, I opened the Library/Application Support folder and found the following:
    1. 1Password folder (empty)
    2. 1Passward 4 folder (five items):

• Data folder (six items): all .sqlite or .sqite-shum files
    • Diagnostics (one item): a 1PasswordDiagnostics folder with 13 files inside (Let me know if you want more information on these.)
    • Watchtower (one item): a vuln.sqlite file
    • b5PendingFileUpload folder (empty)
    • B5SeureUserDefaults folder (empty)
      I appriciate your help and hope that this information can make some sense.
  • Hi @roning,

It looks like Brenty replied at the same time you were typing your reply to Lars. Please check out Brenty’s reply, above. :)

Ben

• roning
    roning
    Community Member

Brenty, As you recommended, I deleted Firefox and 1Pass and then downloaded new versions including the add-on. The big surprise was Mozilla sent version 55.0.3! ... even though I have consistently received messages that my version was up to date when I checked for updates. Don't know why that happened but am glad to have this newer version, so thanks.

Now to the problem: With the updated software I have been able to successfully open six of my eleven websites. There are five that still don't open even though I had gone to each earlier, opened them w/o 1Pass and changed the password. As hoped, 1Pass stepped in at that point and asked to update its record. Nevertheless, when I later tried to use 1Pass to open any of those five - even after confirmed reception of the new password for each site - none of them would open.

So after the reinstall of my OS in my primary mac, I now have a 45% failure rate on !Password's performance. Why do the six work and the five do not? It's a small problem now; I'm only using eleven websites. But I have many more to do and will not try to use 1Pass on the others for fear that this system is compromised. If I can't fix this I must delete the app and erase all its footprints.

Can there be something in the Application Support folder that may be broken? What other ideas on how to deal with this?

Thank you and the rest of the team for your help.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@roning -- I can't say why those specific logins aren't filling correctly for you just now, but often, it's because something isn't right in the URL that's entered in the 1Password record. Have a look at these instructions and see whether you've saved the logins in question using that method. If not, you might want to write the credentials for each login down temporarily, then delete the problematic logins and try saving them again using those instructions. In some cases, to get a login working properly, you may need to save it manually in 1Password. Let us know if that works for you -- good luck!

• roning
    roning
    Community Member
    edited September 2017

Lars, Thanks for your suggestion. In fact, it's what I thought to do last night; I deleted the five troublesome websites from 1Pass and then went through the process of reloading each of them after having gone through the security/password revision process at each site. Haven't tried them yet this morning but they worked last night.

I think Brenty through the key downfield block by noticing Firefox was out of date... which means it was probably not working with the newer add-on. This was a big surprise because Firefox was always telling me I had the current version for may computer (a late 2013 Mac). I don't understand that at all... but it's past and things are working.

My next challenge is to figure out how to use the password generator; some sites have their own criteria and the generator doesn't seem meet them. But I'll give this problem some study and hopefully figure it out.

Thanks to all of the team for the help.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@roning -- yep, Brenty provided the biggest piece of this puzzle. Glad to hear it worked for you! If you want to learn to change existing passwords and master 1Password's Strong Password Generator, well, we've got a dedicated instruction for that, complete with video! Hopefully that will help -- though I do know what you mean about finding websites that don't SAY they have requirements for passwords...until you enter one "incorrectly," at which point, they show the required password recipe to you. Maddening. Why not just show it up front? In any case, the SPG can be adjusted pretty finely, so you should be good in nearly all cases. :)

This discussion has been closed.