1Password Mini menu bar item on macOS 10.13

Sebastian Rasch
Sebastian Rasch
Community Member

Hi!

Since High Sierra, 1Password Mini apparently has to run all the time and it adds a menu bar item that can’t be removed/hidden without quitting the process. This is not what I want at all. I want to decide myself what’s displayed in the menu bar and what’s not. I like it minimalistic and clean and don’t need a completely superfluous item in the menu bar, I’m fine with the controls via the Safari browser extension.

Is there any way to hide the menu bar item without quitting the process? If not there should be an option for that. If you could please add this to future releases, that would be amazing!

Thank you
Sebastian

1Password Version: 6.8.2
Extension Version: 4.6.11
OS Version: macOS 10.13
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:1password mini macOS 10.13

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2017

Hi @Sebastian Rasch -- 1Password mini has actually existed for far longer than High Sierra -- in fact, the mini was introduced in 1Password 3 for Mac, all the way back in 2009! When you install 1Password for Mac for the first time, one of the checkboxes it to keep the mini running all the time, which - yes - does put an item in your menubar. It's needed for 1Password to be able to fill login details into your browser. You CAN turn it off...but then you'd be required to use 1Password as more of a standalone database; no filling in web logins or credit cards or addresses; everything would have to be done via copy/paste.

Regarding your preference for a clean menubar, I hear you. Sometimes it seems we're not even in control of our own computers; you install this or that application, and you wind up with controls or icons that aren't where you'd expect or want to find them. It's not my job to recommend other products on this forum, but if you weren't already aware, there already are products which will allow you to hide your menubar cruft, if you like. Many menubar items you may find are either necessary (as in the case of 1Password mini), or you find them useful anywhere from occasionally to frequently, but you don't necessarily want to see them all the time. For such a dilemma, some of us here use Bartender -- though this is not an "official" recommendation, you may find it useful for helping you maintain a cleaner menubar.

• Sebastian Rasch
    Sebastian Rasch
    Community Member

First of all, thanks for your fast reply! Secondly, I was using 1Password for years without the menu bar item and could still fill in passwords and credit card details via the extension in Safari. In High Sierra, you now need to have the menu bar item for the Safari extension to work and that was definitely not the case before!
    Thank you for your "recommendation", I will have a look but it would still be nice to know why I have to have this item now all of a sudden.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Sebastian Rasch -- while you must run the Mini -- it contains all of the filling logic (the "brain," if you will), there IS a check-box in Preferences > General called Show Mini app icon in the menu bar that can be de-selected if you like. Few users tend to use that, because having the Mini running means you can look up passwords, credit cards and other items immediately, without having to open the main 1Password app. But you can indeed hide it if you wish.

• Sebastian Rasch
    Sebastian Rasch
    Community Member

Aha yes, that’s it! So the checkbox must’ve automatically ticked itself again after I updated to macOS 10.13. Thank you!

I have all the functionality you speak of in Safari via the 1Password extension and Safari is always running so there’s no need for me to have a menu bar item. It’s simply superfluous to me.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Sebastian Rasch -- hey, to each his/her own. If this is the setup that you prefer, have at it! Glad I could help.

This discussion has been closed.