Importing Firebox data to 1Password

Options
Ian_Stavert
Ian_Stavert
Community Member

Hi - I've been using a password manager named Firebox on my Macs and iDevices for a few years now - it's been a good app, but, it's no longer being supported by the developer and as it's only 32 bit, it won't make the change to iOS 11. I've had 1Password for a couple of years now but done nothing with it, but now it's imperative to get my head around it.
I've looked at your FAQ's re transferring data from other password managers but Firebox is not mentioned - on the Firebox website it says"
"Can I import data from another application so I don't have to retype it into the iPhone/iPod?
Yes, you can import data into Firebox Desktop using the CSV format. The import format is identical to the export format. Rows with text in column 1 define a Folder and fields, and then every row after it with nothing in column 1 defines a Record in that folder. Your data needs to be in this format for import."
And this is how the data needs to be imported:
"First Folder Name","Field 1 Name","Field 2 Name","Field 3 Name","Field 4 Name","Field 5 Name","Notes"
,"field 1 value","field 2 value","field 3 value","field 4 value","field 5 value","record 1 notes"
,"field 1 value","field 2 value","field 3 value","field 4 value","field 5 value","record 2 notes"

"Second Folder Name","Field 1 Name","Field 2 Name","Field 3 Name","Field 4 Name","Field 5 Name","Notes"
,"field 1 value","field 2 value","field 3 value","field 4 value","field 5 value","record 1 notes"
,"field 1 value","field 2 value","field 3 value","field 4 value","field 5 value","record 2 notes"
,"field 1 value","field 2 value","field 3 value","field 4 value","field 5 value","record 3 notes"
,"field 1 value","field 2 value","field 3 value","field 4 value","field 5 value","record 4 notes"

So, how do I go about doing all of this?
Thanks for what looks like a very proactive support culture.

1Password Version: 6.8.2
Extension Version: 4.6.11
OS Version: macOS Sierra 10.12.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Importing Firebox data to 1Password

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @Ian_Stavert! Glad to have you joining us, both here and with getting on board with using 1Password. I have to confess, Firebox isn't one I'm personally familiar with.

We actually have a suite of import scripts written and maintained by one of our fantastic community moderators, @MrC -- but despite his converter currently including 36+ password management formats, Firebox isn't one of them.

That means you'll likely have to use good old-fashioned CSV-direct import. What you'll want to do -- if you can, from Firebox -- is to export only like record types. In other words, export all login items in one batch, then all Notes or credit cards or whatever other category of item you have, all together. The reason for this is that the CSV importer in 1Password allows you to choose which type of record you're importing. You may also have to adjust the order of the fields (username, URL, etc), so that data shows up where you expect/want it to be. Don't worry; it's easy enough to delete imported items if you need to re-do the import file and try again. Let us know how you get on!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@Ian_Stavert ,

Use the csv converter in the converter suite . You'll just add a header row with specific labels, and the converter will handle the rest. Use the 1.10 version in Testing Bits, mentioned in the first post of the thread. See the README.pdf for the csv requirements and column labels. Ask if you need help.

This discussion has been closed.