chrome extensions doesn't fill the 1st or 2nd try

I believe this started after the last 1password update but when I use the chrome extension to fill in user/password it often does nothing (leaves both fields blank) until the 3rd try and then it works. Is this a known issue?

1Password Version: 4.6.2.626
Extension Version: 4.6.11.91
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: DropBox

Comments

• cdp
    cdp
    Community Member

There is a similar thread running regarding the Firefox extension. I am also seeing this behavior in Chrome. Sometimes it's very difficult to get the extension to fill in a web page. I have problems with selecting from the menu as well as the keyboard shortcut. Sometimes it "seems" to help if you put the cursor in one of the fields to be filled in and then try again. It's inconsistent about what websites and when it will be a problem or how many tries it will take to get it to work. That's not very helpful, but I'm not really seeing much of a predictable pattern.

I don't know if it's related but I recently created a login for this URL:
    https://connexion.fusionconnect.com/Connexion
    If I type enough of its name into the extension's menu for it to be recognized and then click on the menu entry, it never populates the URL bar in the Chrome browser. But, it does in Firefox. Weird.

1Password: 4.6.2.626
    Chrome:60.0.3112.113-64 Extension: 4.6.11.91
    Firefox: 55.0.3 Extension: 4.6.9
    Windows 10 Pro x64 Version: 1703 Build: 15063.608

• bundtkate
    edited September 2017

@j_purr and @cdp: We have a few of these issues floating around and we definitely know something is going on with 1Password 4 and the extension, but at this point we're not entirely sure what. There seem to be two separate issues (that might be related) -- those who can't fill at all 90% of the time (this sounds like you @cdp) and those who have to invoke the extension a set number of times greater than 1 to get it to fill (this sounds like you @j_purr). With the former, we've found the following tends to work:

1. Close your web browsers and 1Password
    2. Open Windows File Explorer and enter the following in the address bar: %LOCALAPPDATA%\AgileBits
    3. Move the OPX4.auth file to your desktop
    4. Restart 1Password, unlock and then open your browser, see if it works better now.

Could you both give this a try and report back with results? Also, if either of you are finding this happens more often or more consistently on a particular site or sites, let us know. We've been trying to reproduce this on our end for further testing and investigation with no luck so far. Thanks! :chuffed:

• j_purr
    j_purr
    Community Member

Things do seem to work a better after taking those steps. I was seeing the issue more when I am already on the login screen and using the extension to fill the fields. It doesn't seem to happen when I am using the extension to 'go and fill' which launches a new tab. FYI - in my testing citi dot com didn't fill the username but it did fill the password; this may be unrelated to the issue I raised about the extension).

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@j_purr: This might be the different issue indeed.

It seems that 1Password fills the username on their website, but they do not show it. If you click on the username field after you fill your credentials with Ctrl + \ shortcut, you will see your username there. If you are using 1Password 4 for Windows, please try to use Auto-type on this website:

1) In 1Password, edit the Login item.
    2) Enable the Auto-type option and save the item.

When you visit the site in your web browser, place the cursor in the username field, then press Ctrl+\ as usual. 1Password will fill in the username and password fields with the values saved in the corresponding Login item.

I checked how it works on my side just now and it seems to be doing its job. Please give it a try. Thanks! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• j_purr
    j_purr
    Community Member

Thanks, that fixed the citi dot com issue I was having.

• dog_man
    dog_man
    Community Member
    edited September 2017

I'm having the same issue - only it takes significant more clicks on the Chrome extension to get 1Password to fill in the website. I moved the POX4.auth to the desktop. It helped once or twice, but now 1Password is back to not filling in the website(s). I haven't noticed any pattern. And yes - it appears to have started after the last update to Windows 1Password! I tried the cursor in the user field - seems to help, but doesn't work when there are multiple sign ins for the same website!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@j_purr: Glad to hear that helped! I've had my fair share of issues with Citi myself. ;)

@dog_man: I hear you. I'm really sorry for the trouble here. We've got both Windows and browser folks working on this so we can figure out why this is happening to some people and get it fixed up. Thanks for your patience! :blush:

• dog_man
    dog_man
    Community Member
    edited October 2017

AgileBits: any update on this issue? It seems to be getting worse and very irritating! Is there some way to roll back to an earlier version?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@dog_man: Nothing new to share since last week. But can you specify which issue you're referring to? If it's a particular site, we don't have any control over changes to their site, but we've been discussing and testing some changes in 1Password which might help down the road.

To "roll back to an earlier version" won't help as the changes we made last month to 1Password's browser integration is so that 1Password can continue to function in Chrome and Firefox, which have moved to Native Messaging. Earlier versions of 1Password will no longer be compatible, but we'll continue to work to find ways to make Native Messaging more robust with regard to edge cases.

• dog_man
    dog_man
    Community Member
    edited October 2017

AgileBits: it's all sites - this site took me 5 times before it filled in the info. It's not just one site! And this just started with the latest update done to 1Password! When I get time, I'll attach a video if you'd like! This isn't a ploy to get older Windows users to sign up for the subscription version of 1Password is it?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

AgileBits: it's all sites - this site took me 5 times before it filled in the info. It's not just one site!

@dog_man: Thanks for clarifying!

And this just started with the latest update done to 1Password!

Can you tell me which update you're referring to, and if you mean the app or browser extension? If there is some sort of regression, it would be helpful to know the version you were using previously and the one you updated too.

When I get time, I'll attach a video if you'd like!

A video would be great, if that illustrates the problem better. And a diagnostics report may give us some insight into where things are going wrong. Please send it to support+windows@agilebits.com and post the Support ID you receive here so we can take a look.

This isn't a ploy to get older Windows users to sign up for the subscription version of 1Password is it?

Nope. I'm not sure how that makes any sense either, since all versions of 1Password are using Native Messaging in the browser now (and, quite literally, the same implementation on Windows for both apps). As I mentioned above, that's a requirement going forward. Otherwise there will be no browser integration at all. I'm sorry that you're experiencing problems with this transition, but we're working both internally and with browser vendors to iron out the kinks. :blush:

• LearningToFly
    LearningToFly
    Community Member

AgileBits: I am having the same issue with citi dot com (using Chrome) as @j_purr with two twists. First, I'm using 1Password6 which, from what I read in another topic, does not seem to offer the auto-type option. The main twist is this. I have two separate logins for this site; one for personal credit card and one for business credit card. The login for the business card works perfectly fine. Both userid and password fill in and I get logged in successfully. But the personal login does not. The user id appears to be filled in, I can see it echoed on the website, yet when it submits to login, citi dot com flags it as if the user id field is blank. Also, if I disable auto-login, when I put my cursor in the user id field it positions to the first character of the field, just as if I had hit the "home" key. But if I right-click on the personal login item and copy the username to the user id field, it works.

• @l610024: I have a personal Citi account, but not a business, so quick question before I provide a recommendation -- do you sign in from different login sites for personal vs. business?

• LearningToFly
    LearningToFly
    Community Member

@bundtkate: That's what's so weird about it, it's the same login web page. Two different user ids and passwords on the same web page access the two different accounts, personal vs. business. I've tried deleting and recreating the personal one a few times but still can not get it to work.

It would be really nice if Citi allowed me to manage both accounts with a single login, but they apparently did not consult me when they designed their system.

• @l610024: I'd probably prefer if they consulted you too! Managing both in one place makes a lot more sense. Either way, given that both are accessed from the same login page, I have a recommendation: try duplicating the working business login and manually editing the username, password and title to be for the non-working personal login. Since you know the business login works, this way we'll keep as much the same as the working login as we possibly can, plus maybe the business login's good juju will survive duplication. :wink:

• LearningToFly
    LearningToFly
    Community Member
    edited October 2017

Thanks @bundtkate Personal and Business logins both work like a charm now. I'm glad it's working, but strange that something went amiss (apparently multiple times) trying to create it with the auto capture feature. I suppose it could be user error. Also strange that the Citi website seems to be not playing nice for multiple people.

On to more important things ... like trying to pay off the credit cards!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

On to more important things ... like trying to pay off the credit cards!

@l610024: Wooooo! :sunglasses: :+1:

Citi is our White Whale I think. We've made many strides over the years, even as we fought this Beast...but it does often seem like for every battle we win another is lost.

As a Citi customer myself, I've spent a lot of time testing there (both accidentally on on purpose), and also helping other 1Password users where I can. And this is something the development team is painfully aware of as well, so it's something we review frequently, even without folks reporting issues, since it does seem to be a moving target. Unfortunately when things change it often breaks any affordances we have in place for 1Password to compensate for websites' idiosyncrasies — not just Citi.

I'm sorry that we're not always able to find solutions as quickly as we like to avoid folks having issues there, but we're constantly working to improve 1Password's login filling — and we're always here to help if you need us. Cheers! :)

• webster80
    webster80
    Community Member

Any update to this issue team? I've ensured random site filling failure for several months and it's getting pretty frustrating. Often takes 2-3 times to log in, either using the 1Password extension button on the Chrome toolbar or right clicking the websites login field and using the context menu, makes no difference. Also happens for non-public websites (my local nas, plex etc) and most public websites.
    Chrome Version 64.0.3282.140 (Official Build) (64-bit)
    1Password extension 4.6.12.90

• @webster80: This thread deviated to a few different issues, so I don't want to make any assumptions here. I assume you're using 1Password 4 (let me know if I'm wrong) and it sounds like you're having fairly consistent filling issues across sites, is that correct? Also, could you let me know what version of the main 1Password app you're using? Thanks! :chuffed:

• webster80
    webster80
    Community Member

Yes sorry 1Password 4 version 4.6.2.626 and yeah it's pretty consistently inconsistent :) Often will take several tries of selecting the 1Password entry to even have the username and password fields propagate with credentials, then some sites will be perfect first go. I have this issue on both my W10 Ent laptop and my home W10 Pro pc.

• spykerc8
    spykerc8
    Community Member

Same problem here. 1Password 4 version 4.6.2.626. Chrome plugin version 4.6.12.190.

Sometimes reloading the page helps.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi there @webster80 and @spykerc8,

In order to confirm the type of issue you are having, please try to do the following:

1) Uninstall 1Password 4 from control panel.
    2) Reboot your PC.
    3) Install 4.6.2.625 from here.

Restart any browsers still running after reinstalling and let us know if filling starts working properly for you. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

• webster80
    webster80
    Community Member

Hi Greg,

Did that, seeing how it goes. www.eventcinemas.com.au definitely not working with 4.6.2.625 (but did with 4.6.2.626) but may be a site issue. Will keep testing other sites.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Ah, I see. They have some weird popup login form. I couldn't actually find it at all until I maximized the window. It isn't possible for 1Password 4 to fill there, but we'll see if there's a way we can improve it in a future version to work around issues like this.

This discussion has been closed.