where does 1Password store its data?

JonPi
JonPi
Community Member

Does 1Password store its data somewhere? I am trying to restore from Time Machine, and I can't figure out how to do so. Thanks.

1Password Version: 6.8.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.12.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

Hi there @JonPi :)
    If you are trying to restore your 1Password Data from a backup, it can be found in one of two locations depending on where you downloaded the app. Note that this isn't necessary if you have a 1Password.com account or if you have synced your data with a service like Dropbox or iCloud as you can just re-sync your data from there.

If you downloaded it from the Mac App Store:
    ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Backups/

If you downloaded from the AgileBits Store:
    ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups/

What you're looking for is a file that looks like 1Password2 2017-08-26 021334 (45 items).agilekeychain_zip. Just pick the newest one as they are dated and you should be able to restore your data from there, assuming you have your master password.

Hope that helps :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Hi @JonPi - to amplify a bit on what @Corey_C already said, if you are using local vaults for your data, 1Password makes its own backups, around once a day. Unless you have data within the last 24 hours or so that's critical, you can go to Preferences > Backup, choose the most-recent backup of your data, and restore it by clicking Restore.

You should only really need the Time Machine locations if something's gone wrong with your startup drive and the 1Password backups contained in your ~/Library folder. If that IS the case, then you can restore the folder from either of the locations on the Time Machine disk that @Corey_C mentioned. Good luck, and let us know if you hit any problems!

• hawk_iag
    hawk_iag
    Community Member

When you subscribe to 1Password Family plan where does 1password store your vaults on your local Mac and how does the data get updated between a desktop computer and your notebook computer?
    running Mac OS Hight Sierra Version 10.13.4 on both computers

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@hawk_iag - that depends on whether you've downloaded/installed 1Password from us (AgileBits) directly, or used the Mac App Store version:

• AgileBits version - ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Data/B5.sqlite
    • Mac App Store version - ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Data/B5.sqlite
  • hawk_iag
    hawk_iag
    Community Member

that does not work on Mac OSx 10.13.4. I have tried to find the library using the information about the difficulty in finding libraries on High Sierra but was not successful. Yet I know the library is there but very well hidden. But I am convinced the absence of the library on my MacBook is the reason for 1password not working there. 1password family plan works fine on my desktop iMac.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@hawk_iag

I am convinced the absence of the library on my MacBook is the reason for 1password not working there. 1password family plan works fine on my desktop iMac.

That would've been good information to know the first time; I thought you were just asking where the data is stored. Those two locations I gave you are correct, by the way -- from your Mac's Finder, hold down the Option (Alt) key and choose Go from your Mac's menubar, then select the Library folder, or just type the keyboard shortcut ⇧⌘L to open the Library folder. Then proceed to whichever of those two data locations fits your situation.

If you truly had a missing Library folder, very little on your Mac would be working, not just 1Password. My guess is that the difference between the functionality of 1Password on your two computers is due to something a lot less dramatic. However, without a little more information, it's hard to say. Can you tell us: what version of macOS are you running on the Mac that's having problems? What version of 1Password? What is or is not happening the way you expect it to?

• hawk_iag
    hawk_iag
    Community Member

Thank you Lars!

I am also getting help from Tully in Tasmania, Australia. My latest question to him"

__With respect to my continuing problem with both my MacBook and iPhone:

1. The only password I ever type in now is the password for my Royal account.
    2. This is what is madding about both my iPhone and MacBook. When I scan the icon for Royal all the information appears on my iPhone (I am able to see it and confirm all of the information is correct) and I enter my royal password very carefully.

After Tully deleted on of the multiple trial accounts that I created over the past week, I finally can open 1password on my iPhone. Using WLAN sync I see my items on my iPhone but at the moment the information is not complete. I hope the sync is continuing. All of my issues can be traced to communications problems. I will now address the problems between my iMac & MacBook Air. All of my devices are running the latest version of Apple software and I belong to a local Apple user group where I will discuss 1Password and why I believe it is the best way forward.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@hawk_iag

I am also getting help from Tully in Tasmania, Australia.

Ah, OK. I usually check to make sure this isn't the case but for whatever reason I didn't with you. However, since you're already getting assistance from one of our email support folks, let's keep the conversation going over there. For future reference, if we have to coordinate multiple answers/responses to the same question across multiple people and points of contact, it slows down the support times for everyone, including you. We offer multiple ways to get in touch with us so people have a choice, but if you can choose a method and stick with it, it'll make things considerably smoother and quicker for everyone. Thanks!

• hawk_iag
    hawk_iag
    Community Member

The sync on my iPhone appears to give me a generic vault with Johnny Appleseed as the userid. I think this is my problem caused by multiple family trial accounts. Tully will help by deleting the wrong family account when the sun starts to shine again in Australia.

I have captured all the 1password library accounts from both of my computers. All the information is in the attached numbers spreadsheet.

Computer File Name Date Comments
    Imac 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper Wed, Apr 4, 2018
    Imac com.agilebits.onepassword-osx Wed, Apr 4, 2018
    Imac com.agilebits.onepassword-osx.safariextensioncompanion Thu, Apr 5, 2018 May I delete this file?
    Imac com.agilebits.onepasswordnativemessaginghost Wed, Apr 4, 2018
    MacBook 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper Tue, Apr 10, 2018
    MacBook com.agilebits.onepassword-osx Tue, Apr 10, 2018
    MacBook com.agilebits.onepassword-osx.safariextensioncompanion Tue, Apr 10, 2018 5 minutes later than the others!

(Sorry I could not keep proper spacing)

I am would like to delete all the agilebits onepassword files from the library but then I do not know how to sync 1password between two computers since WLAN sync will not work. Any help?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@hawk_iag - :+1:

• Evangelist99
    Evangelist99
    Community Member

The path to my 1Password data is:
    ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application Support/1Password/Data/

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @Evangelist99! Is there something I can help with? The file path you posted is the same for everyone who's using 1Password 7 for Mac.

• Evangelist99
    Evangelist99
    Community Member

Thanks @Lars I lost my data during a repair of my computer and it took me a while to find the correct path so I could get it back through a TimeMachine backup. Thought it could help other Mac users.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Evangelist99 - Gotcha. Thanks! :) :+1:

• Cori
    Cori
    Community Member

@Lars Can you explain why Music Photos Documents and Downloads and etc are symlinked under ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application Support/1Password/Data/ ? Why does AgileBits need access to that?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Cori - we don't. :) This is part of the macOS standard sandbox creation. It's unused by us.

• CNYGREEK
    CNYGREEK
    Community Member

Ll

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Can we help you with something @CNYGREEK? :)

This discussion has been closed.