Bug with updating Software License

Options
pervel
pervel
Community Member

I bought an upgrade to an existing Mac app and wanted to update the corresponding entry in 1Password. So I dragged the icon into the Software License category and was asked if I wanted to update the existing item. I answered yes. The version number was then updated correctly. However, the new icon for the app was not changed in 1Password. So I manually changed this icon.

I then changed my mind and figured it would actually be better to have both the old and new version of the app registered in 1Password (since I have different license keys for the two versions). So I went to 1password.com and tried to restore the item to a previous version. This time the icon was not restored to the previous icon.

So there seem to be two bugs:

1. Dragging an app into 1Password and choosing to update existing item does not update the icon.
  2. Restoring an item on 1password.com does not restore the previous icon.

1Password Version: 6.8.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13
Sync Type: 1password.com

Comments

• pervel
    pervel
    Community Member
    Options

cough :blush:

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @pervel - I'm so sorry for the delay in replying to your original post! One of my colleagues flagged it (which means they're usually in the process of writing a response), but sometimes that can get applied in error, and it appears your post drifted through the cracks. My apologies.

1Password checks for software icons in one of the following three ways:
    1. Locally, by finding the app's icon on disk
    2. Doing a lookup for the app name on our rich icon server
    3. Any custom icon the user applies (which I do at times when I've got a minor app that hasn't made it to our rich icon server).

I'll have to see if we can replicate some of this behavior, but unfortunately a lot of it is very system-dependent: what apps (or remnants of apps) are available on disk, whether there's ever been a custom icon used (which would override other methods in a restore), a couple of other possibilities. Thanks for reporting, and for the present, if you don't see the correct icon for a proper version, you can usually grab it from the Package Contents/Resources folder, as I suspect you probably already know.

• pervel
    pervel
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for replying. But please note also the second bug with the web app. I am actually not able to restore the original icon at all. And since I don't have access to that icon anymore, I can't update it manually.

Obviously, this is not a major bug. But it is rather annoying. And it does show that something goes wrong when restoring an item.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pervel - thanks for reporting; we'll look into it. :)

This discussion has been closed.