I have ongoing problems trying to setup Families. Need basic setup info so I can understand conceptu

Options
Ozpete
Ozpete
Community Member

I cannot setup Families despite numerous attempts
So I can understand Families conceptually and the large number of terms that are use can you point me to a simple user guide so I can understand the basics and hopefully “self repair”

A very complex or rather convoluted piece of software I have to say

1Password Version: 6.9
Extension Version: 6.9
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: 1password
Referrer: forum-search:How to Setup 1Password for families

Comments

• Ozpete
    Ozpete
    Community Member
    Options

I have had 1Password for a few years.
    A year or so ago I subscribed to families so my wife and I can share it. 12 months later I still can’t get it to work.
    I now have multiple passwords for reasons I can’t explain , multiple vaults, duplications everywhere I look accounts and inconsistent syncing - I am confused and frustrated
    And as I say it isn’t working
    I have sent/received a few emails to your Help line but they are at a complexity beyond me

Please point me to a “families for dummies” section

1Password Version: 6.9
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: OS 10.12.6
    Sync Type: Icloud

• Hi @ozpete,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having trouble like this.

We have a guide that goes through the typical process of moving over to 1Password Families, and it can be found here:
    https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/

By the looks of it, you've done most of this already though. If I was to hazard a guess, I'd say that you had a more complicated 1Password setup than most users prior to setting up 1Password Families and the migration decided it would only help so much as it couldn't make proper assumptions. This typically happens if the person had multiple vaults already in 1Password. Was that the case?

We can help you through all of this but we're going to need a bit more information in order to know where to start. Can you tell us if you still have any vaults outside of the 1Password Families account on your Mac (I assume your primary device is a Mac, if I'm incorrect please let me know). You can check this by going into Preferences and seeing if there's a Sync tab. If there's no Sync tab, you have no vaults outside of the 1Password Families account. If there is a Sync tab, can you tell me how many vaults are listed there and how they're configured for sync?

Thanks

Rick

• Ozpete
    Ozpete
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for reply

Yes Mac, iPad iPhone and latest IOS. All devices under 2 years old

I have moved on and decided to start all over and accept consequences. Very painful

So I deleted my shared family vault.

This left me with a single vault and my wife with nothing

I then created a shared vault and moved some items there to share with my wife

I made sure - I thought - that she only had access to shared vault.

I then invited my wife. All good so far

However, when my wife accesses 1passowrd it requires same master password as mine does - is this correct it seems very insecure ? I now have two passwords ( master password and original password which does not seem to be required anymore??)

Furthermore she has access to my private vault as well as the shared vault

Question 1 - why does she have access to my private vault?
    Question 2 - why does she have same password as me?

• @Ozpete On behalf of Rick, you're welcome.

It sounds like your wife is signed in to the same account as you. She should have her own account on the family, and sign in with that. Could you have her try open https://start.1password.com/signin in her browser, enter your family's sign-in address, and sign in with her account? Is she using your Master Password when she does that or hers?

To get a better idea of why the app only accepts your Master Password, could you please create a Diagnostics Report from her device that shows your Private vault?

How to send a diagnostics report

Attach the Diagnostics Reports to an email, and send it to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum username so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a confirmation number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

This discussion has been closed.