To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Master Password Schism. Works on Mac and iPhone. But I can't login at my.1password.com? Options?

Options
ishming
ishming
Community Member

I have a "Personal" account:

• It's been syncing between my iPhone and Mac just fine...
  • My Master Password is working on my Mac.
  • My Touch ID is working on my iPhone.

Problems:

• On iPhone when I try to "Change Master Password", it asks me for the Master Password, it denies me.
  • But when I try to login to https://my.1password.com my Master Password does NOT work???

So I can't get in. Nor can I set up my other phone since I need the Master Password.

1) I don't understand the schism going on here.

Why would my Master Password work on my Mac's login but tell me it's invalid in other places?

2) When I Export data is it exporting all vaults or do I pick one? The UI is not clear on this.

3) I believe that I have safely exported my database completely. So I'm comfortable resetting everything.

It seems like my only option since I don't seem to have whatever this new Master Password is that I've apparently lost. Is this the case?

4) How do I reset my account(s)? I've apparently got a personal account paid for but also I'm seeing a team account which isn't active. But I don't seem to have the master password for that either.

Lordy. I just don't know what happened to that password. The recovery key printout didn't have that nice pretty "Fill in your master password" box when I printed it out...

I'm not seeing any way to talk to an Agile Bits team member...

Thanks for the help!

1Password Version: 6.8.2
Extension Version: Not relevant
OS Version: macOS 10.12.6, iOS 11
Sync Type: 1Password Personal

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

1) I don't understand the schism going on here.
    Why would my Master Password work on my Mac's login but tell me it's invalid in other places?

@ishming: It sounds like you are using a local vault on your devices, which will be completely separate from 1Password.com,

2) When I Export data is it exporting all vaults or do I pick one? The UI is not clear on this.

You'll need to select an individual vault. The Export option should be greyed out in All Vaults. Are you seeing something different?

3) I believe that I have safely exported my database completely. So I'm comfortable resetting everything.
    It seems like my only option since I don't seem to have whatever this new Master Password is that I've apparently lost. Is this the case?

I think there are a few other things worth trying first. Certainly, you can try different Master Passwords you (might) have used:

https://support.1password.com/forgot-master-password/

Ultimately you're the only one who will have any idea what it could be. But definitely check in the 1Password apps to see if you have a Primary vault or any others which are not part of your 1Password.com account. I really think that's the source of the confusion.

4) How do I reset my account(s)? I've apparently got a personal account paid for but also I'm seeing a team account which isn't active. But I don't seem to have the master password for that either.

If you're certain that you want to do that, shoot us an email at support@1password.com and post the Support ID you receive here so we can help you do so.

Lordy. I just don't know what happened to that password. The recovery key printout didn't have that nice pretty "Fill in your master password" box when I printed it out...

Right. You're supposed to write your Master Password on the Emergency Kit and then store it in a secure location like a safe deposit box, in case you ever need it. We never know your Master Password, as it is chosen by you and only stored in your brain unless you write it down.

I'm not seeing any way to talk to an Agile Bits team member... Thanks for the help!

You're doing it right now in the support forum. We'll help you get this sorted out! ;)

• ishming
    ishming
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks brenty,

It does seem like it is a local vault versus a 1Password account. This would explain how some devices seem to let me in.

But I'm still able to sync and/or create a new vault via my online account. (Additionally, I switched from iCloud to 1Pass a while ago so I don't think that's related.)

And when I look at my settings on iPhone and Mac, I can see that both have 1Password.com accounts. And they are syncing silently! (NICE!)...

So it appears that my local "Primary" vault is letting me open 1Password on my Mac and fortunately that "local" Master Password also lets the 1Password application talk to the my.1Password.com for syncing across my devices... I'll test that now...

Yeah. I just created a new login in my "Personal" Vault on my Mac, and it appeared on my iPhone in the same Vault.

So definitely the apps have more privileges than I do! :-O They can talk to 1Password.com but I can't.

So...

If I can't figure out my Master Password, then I can make sure all is Exported, and then "reset" with the help of support? Clear everything and import into a fresh clean Personal vault?

Also I guess I can ask support about this other team/family account I seem to have floating around, possibly from a trial?

Regarding vault selection/exporting. I just checked. Yes, grayed out on "All Vaults". But it's not clear. Perhaps in future release, the Export will say "Selected Items in Vault ", "All Items in Vault " instead of:

Thanks again.

James

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks brenty, It does seem like it is a local vault versus a 1Password account. This would explain how some devices seem to let me in. But I'm still able to sync and/or create a new vault via my online account. (Additionally, I switched from iCloud to 1Pass a while ago so I don't think that's related.)

@ishming: You can certainly be using both local vaults from before and a 1Password.com account.

And when I look at my settings on iPhone and Mac, I can see that both have 1Password.com accounts. And they are syncing silently! (NICE!)...

That's good news!

So it appears that my local "Primary" vault is letting me open 1Password on my Mac and fortunately that "local" Master Password also lets the 1Password application talk to the my.1Password.com for syncing across my devices... I'll test that now... Yeah. I just created a new login in my "Personal" Vault on my Mac, and it appeared on my iPhone in the same Vault. So definitely the apps have more privileges than I do! :-O They can talk to 1Password.com but I can't.

It may not feel like it right now, but that's good news too. It's easy to create another 1Password.com account if you need to. What's no so easy is recreating your data if you lock yourself out. So, as long as you have access to all of your data, it's just a matter of sorting out the details. :)

So... If I can't figure out my Master Password, then I can make sure all is Exported, and then "reset" with the help of support? Clear everything and import into a fresh clean Personal vault? Also I guess I can ask support about this other team/family account I seem to have floating around, possibly from a trial?

See below...

Regarding vault selection/exporting. I just checked. Yes, grayed out on "All Vaults". But it's not clear. Perhaps in future release, the Export will say "Selected Items in Vault ", "All Items in Vault " instead of:

Thanks for the feedback! :)

At this point, since we'll probably need to discuss account details, the best thing to do will be to generate a diagnostic report for each device so we can get a clear picture of how you have things setup:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Please send it to support@agilebits.com from your 1Password.com account's registered email, and add the following Support ID (including the square brackets) to the subject of your diagnostics email before sending:

[#FXL-58468-589]

If you’re reading this and you are not ishming, this Support ID is for ishming only. Please ask us for your own if you also need help.

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. Let me know once you've sent it. Once we see it we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

ref: FXL-58468-589

• ishming
    ishming
    Community Member
    Options

Nice blend of community support and personal support! Thanks! Sent from iPhone now sending from Mac... It's having a little more trouble there. Ok looks like it worked. So my main goal here is to understand exactly what accounts I have active, how I'm able to login to local apps with Master Password but not the site, and what steps I should take to reconcile the whole thing into a singular login for all devices...

Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ishming: Totally! We're on the same page there. We'll take a look once we've got the diagnostics, and then it should be much clearer what steps need to be taken. :)

• ishming
    ishming
    Community Member
    Options

Awesome! Thanks @brenty!

• On behalf of Brenty, you're welcome. :)

This discussion has been closed.