Finding reused passwords

NovaScotian
NovaScotian
Community Member

I've been using 1P since its early days (both Mac & iOS versions). Because I wasn't careful about it back then, I had a tendency to keep the old login passwords on a number of sites. Now, with security getting scarier, I'd like to upgrade a bunch of them. Is there an easy way to find all logins that are using the same password so I can systematically change them?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• jessyc
    jessyc
    1Password Alumni

Hi @NovaScotian,

Looks like you are about to take a wise decision!

If you had the tendency to tell your browser to save your passwords – like me before becoming a 1Password user – then I would suggest to take a look at the list of stored passwords in your favorite browser and start from there.

Click the relevant link to see how to find this list of stored passwords :

Good luck :)

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

Hey there @NovaScotian :)
    To add my two cents, if you kept the old, duplicated login passwords, 1Password itself has a function to find all the duplicate passwords itself. If you open up the full 1Password app, on the left sidebar there is a section called "Security Audit". There should be a section for both weak passwords and duplicate passwords. Click each of them to find all the passwords you have in your 1Password database that are weak or duplicates of each other.

Mind you, this will only work for passwords you have added to your 1Password vault. So if you haven't added them, these functions won't be of much use.

Cheers :)
    Corey

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@NovaScotian -- nothing to add -- between @Corey_C and @jessyc, looks like you're in excellent hands. Let us know how you get on! :)

• NovaScotian
    NovaScotian
    Community Member

Waiting for a less busy day because this will be a time-consuming project with decisions about whether I care if Safari stores some of them. Glad to see that I've never let Safari store my pc banking passwords or pension fund stuff though -- they're only in 1P. As for dupes I've a ton of those, so I'll have to do some testing to separate the wheat from the chaff. Thanks for the advice.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@NovaScotian - indeed, clearing out old data is sometimes about as fun - and as time consuming - as going through the stuff in the attic or basement. One thing I would suggest: if you haven't already, definitely make sure to turn off the built-in password manager in any browser you use. Forgetting to do that is very easy because they tend to be on by default, but if you're not careful, you can wind up saving things there which you might not want to, or - worse - thinking you'd saved something in 1Password when in fact you'd only saved it in one browser on one device. Good luck with the digital closet-cleaning!

• NovaScotian
    NovaScotian
    Community Member

I've been stung several times by thinking I've saved a PW in 1P only to discover it's not there later. I've just cleaned out Chrome which I don't use much and turned off the save pw feature. Good advice. I'll have to wait with Safari (my default) until I'm sure that what's there is in 1P too. Again, thanks.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@NovaScotian -- you're quite welcome! Let us know if you hit any roadblocks, and have a great week!

This discussion has been closed.