Auto-submit not working on all sites, never updated afterward

Options

I have all the latest versions of 1P, MacOS and Chrome. On some sites (Synchrony credit card for the Amazon Prime store card for one, https://www.synchronycredit.com/eSecurity/Login/login.action?clientId=amazon&accountType=plcc&langId=en), 1P will not press Enter after filling in the fields. I've played games with the auto-submit in the page's entry in my vault, but nothing works. Then I was wondering why 1P isn't detecting that I'm pressing Enter after filling in the fields and update its database accordingly. After all, if I were to change my password it would record that.

From what I can tell browsing the forum, there are some issues with certain sites regarding Javascript. One had instructions that seemed to be for Windows or a much older version of 1P, since it mentioned an Auto-Submit checkbox on the 1P Mini dropdown on the browser. I can not find such a thing.

Honestly, it is starting to look like these problems are becoming more frequent, not less. Should I delete and recreate the 1P entry?

When I edit the entry in 1P and click "Show web details", i see a field labeled "save optio" with a field of "Yes1;opid=_23". Does that mean anything?

Thanks! Keep up the great work!

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.8.2 (682003) AgileBits Store
Extension Version: 4.6.11.91
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:auto-submit

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2017
    Options

Hi @hmahaffey,

Thank you for supplying the URL, that allowed me to take a peek and so I can make a much more informed reply.

That page does two unusual things which result in less than ideal behaviour from 1Password. The reason autosubmit isn't working is the site does not respond when the user presses enter key after typing in their password. The vast majority of sites will respond to the enter key in this way and submit the sign-in form and this is exactly how 1Password submits the page too as reasoning about sign-in buttons can be very unreliable. The site's behaviour is not typical and it means 1Password will not be able to submit after filling.

This forces the user to click the button except it isn't a button. The HTML tells me it's a standard hyperlink made to look like a button and fires some JavaScript when clicked. We have to be very careful when letting 1Password react to clicked links because in the vast majority of cases you don't want 1Password to be annoying you. If we're careful, and depending very much on the page, we could get 1Password to properly react when clicking it. I will file a bug report for this site based on your report.

All of this means there is nothing I can recommend to you right now that will help. Pressing enter on the password field will trigger 1Password's autosave prompt if it detects a new password but it won't trigger the site's submit. Their "button" won't trigger our autosave and clicking the button/link is the only way to log in. Their design is not typical and so it is causing confusion for 1Password. Sorry about that.

ref: OPX-1433

• hmahaffey
    hmahaffey
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the great answer! I have other cases where I've noticed this before. I'll write back after I dig them up. I suspect all the reasons are going to be similar... Thanks again!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Likewise, thanks for bringing this to our attention! Always something new we can learn, and if you run into issues with others let us know. We'll see what we can do to improve 1Password. :)

This discussion has been closed.