To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Password recovery

Options
jshepler78
jshepler78
Community Member

Hello,
I was recently logging into my 1Password account and touch ID was illuminated as a side and option. I do not remember my master password or my secret key, and I'm very start. I searched all of the forms and cannot figure out a way to recover my password. This is very disheartening and disconcerting and I was wondering if there was a way to possibly recover my password some other way besides starting over. I would be happy to provide my contact information if needed. Can somebody assist me?

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Unfortunately only you know your master password, and AgileBits have no way of resetting the password. This is a deliberate security feature, if a password manager can reset the password then villains could gain access and have it reset so that they could read your passwords.

If you think you know the password but are having troubles, there are suggestions that can help (for instance, looking at upper case versus lower case characters).

• jshepler78
    jshepler78
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you! My next question is, if I'm paying for a membership, how do I restart a new account and tied to the membership that I am paying now. Do I discontinue my previous membership and re-sign up? Also, it already has me as a user based on my email address, how do I completely eliminate myself as a user and start all over?

• Hi @jshepler78 ,

If you look inside of your Personal vault, there may be a login item that was created by the app when you originally created the account, and it would have your Master Password. I'm unsure if your account is too old or not to have this item. It would have a "1Password Account" as its title if there.

Since you still have access to your information, I recommend that we don't simply do a nuke and pave. If we put just a bit more elbow grease into this, we should at least be able to not lose any of the information that you put inside of 1Password, as long as you still have access to unlock the app via Touch ID.

Here's what I recommend...

• Sign up as a new user on https://1Password.com . As you mentioned the email address you used is currently in use so you could either use another email address that you have access to (we can change this later, don't worry), or you can use a nice little trick that usually works where you can add +something to your email address which lets systems like ours treat it like a new email address but it'll still end up going to you. So for example rick+newaccount@agilebits.com.
    • Complete the sign up of the new account, make sure you choose a Master Password that you will remember.
    • Unlock the app, and go to Settings > Accounts, and choose to sign in to a new account
    • Once you've signed in to the new account, you'll notice that you have a vault picker button in the top left of the app that looks like a bunch of circles of different colors. Tap it and select the Personal vault from the original account (should be listed first). Then choose All Items so that you can see all of your various items.
    • If you scroll up just a bit, you should see a "Select Items" button. Tapping it will reveal selection checkboxes and a "Copy..." button. Use the checkbox circle that's right next to the Move/Copy buttons, which should select all of the items. Tap "Copy..." which will ask you which vault you want to copy them to, select the other Personal vault (odds are it's the only option that will be available)

At this point your data should be available in the new account. And what's left is some cleanup and getting the email address set on the new account back to the original email address, and making sure that your subscription information is correctly transferred over. The best way for us to help you with that part is via email. Let us know when you're at this step and we'll move that ball forward.

If any of those steps confused you, just let us know which and we can get you more information.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.