Double Entries on my laptop

Options
outtacontext
outtacontext
Community Member

I don't use my Macbook Air very often. But, I was yesterday and found that there are double entries for each of my passwords and other things.

I did some reading here and found that I apparently have two vaults on my laptop: Primary and 1Password. I checked with the app on my iMac and it only lists Primary (and when I told my laptop 1Password app to show only the Primary, it showed single entries. I am assuming since Primary is what I use on my iMac, that's the vault that's connected with my keychain on Dropbox. (And those pwds are correct.)

Two questions: how do I get rid of the 1Password vault. And, where did this 1Password vault come from? I didn't have this problem the last time I was on my laptop.

1Password Version: 6.8.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @outtacontext -- sorry to hear you've got an extra, unneeded vault just now. There are a few ways this can happen, but one of the most likely has to do with creating a new sync keychain instead of syncing to an existing one, after (re)installing 1Password on a new or reformatted Mac. Are you syncing via Dropbox? If so, that's almost certainly what happened, though of course I can't say for certain without taking a closer look at your particular setup.

I'd be willing to take that closer look if you think it's important, but if all you want to do is delete the unwanted stuff and get back to normal operations, we can proceed with that as well. If it's the latter, you can very easily delete any vault (except Primary) by choosing it in the vault menu (top left of the main 1Password window), then choosing the Delete option from the 1Password menu.

HOWEVER -- don't just do this right away. First, you'll want to make sure you haven't inadvertently entered any valuable data you don't want deleted into this secondary vault. To do that, switch to the secondary ("1Password") vault, then click on the item sort drop down at the top of the item column, as shown here, and switch it to "Date Modified" -- that will give you a list of every item you've added or changed recently in the 1Password vault. Copy any of them you want to keep over to the Primary vault, then when you're sure everything remaining in the 1Password vault is unneeded (or a duplicate), you can follow the above procedure to delete the vault. Let us know if you have any questions!

• outtacontext
    outtacontext
    Community Member
    Options

I have my keychain in a 1Password folder in my Dropbox. However, outside of that folder I have a 1Password keychain that is titled "old." Could this be the other vault? It hasn't been updated since June 2016 while my keychain within the folder was just updated this morning (on my iMac, not my laptop) and is MUCH larger. See pic:

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@outtacontext -- yup, that could definitely be the difference. You'll want to do any copying/moving of data that you want, per the instructions I gave in my previous reply, so you're sure that secondary "1Password" vault is completely unneeded, and probably also make a backup of the current state of your data -- just in case. Do this by visiting Preferences > Backup and clicking "Backup Now."

Once you've accomplished that, you can go to Preferences > Sync and switch the sync drop-down for that secondary vault from "Dropbox" to "None." Make sure you check the box that says "remove data from Dropbox" when turning off sync; this will delete that older Agile Keychain from Dropbox as well, so you won't run into this potential problem in the future.

Once you've turned off sync and removed the Dropbox data, you can safely delete the actual vault from within 1Password for Mac as well.

• outtacontext
    outtacontext
    Community Member
    Options

I've checked all my Macs and the only one that is showing this second vault is my laptop, which I don't use very often. I am pretty sure I have no passwords stored in that unused vault.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@outtacontext - you don't want to be pretty sure, you want to be 100% sure. On your laptop, open and unlock 1Password, then click the vault menu at the top left of the main 1Password window. Choose the secondary "1Password" vault, and you'll be able to see whether there are any items you want to keep. If so, copy those over to the Primary vault, then when you're sure everything remaining in the 1Password vault is unneeded (or a duplicate), you can click the 1Password menu, then choose Delete 1Password vault.

This discussion has been closed.