Transition from 10.10.5 iMac to Sierra (what ever number that is) iMac—how?

Options
Sensel
Sensel
Community Member

I am moving to a new iMac from 10.10.5 and 1P 6.8. I sync the vault to iCloud.
I am not using Migration Assistant as, I want a clean start. Well, will use it for a few things like email, calendar, but, not most. Also, not right away.
But I do need 1P to get work done.
I also want to keep 1P working on the old Mac. Can't get rid of it because, a couple programs and a specialized scanner on the old Mac, I will keep using as they are no longer made or, too expensive to update to be Sierra (or High Sierra in future, etc.) compatible.
But the new iMac will be the primary machine moving forward.
After some time—agile bits does not make it easy—I was able to see the way (only way?) to get 1P on the new Mac was to just download it as a 30 day trial. Then, it seemed, I could just enter in my license and that would be that. But, the new 1P does not seem to let me enter in that license code (good thing I keep all my emails!).
So how do I get 1P working on the new iMac using my license that says “This license can be used by (me) on as many Macs as needed.”?

1Password Version: 6.8
Extension Version: 4.6.11.91
OS Version: 10.10.5 to Sierra
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Sensel,

I'm sorry that you've been having trouble setting up your new computer - I've done that recently too, and it can be a bit of a daunting task.

You're right, downloading 1Password as a 30 day trial (from our downloads page) is the correct thing to do to set up 1Password on a new computer.

We have an article in our support pages that should help you apply your license.

Please let me know if this helps!

• Sensel
    Sensel
    Community Member
    Options

Megan, I saw that page and it still will not work as, I do not have my email on yet on the new Mac (don't know when) and, I did not get a link when I bought it, I just got a multi digit code.
    Like I said, how do I get this purchased copy working? But no email access and no email from agile bits with a link.
    Now what?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2017
    Options

Hi @Sensel,

I took a look in our back office records (searching with the email address that you have listed in your forum account) and I was able to locate a license for 1Password 3 purchased in 2007. Does that match with the information you've found in your email? Have you purchased a more recent license for 1Password, perhaps using a different email address?

We changed our licensing in version 4 of 1Password - instead of a license code, users were given a license file (which could be applied to the app using the link mentioned in that support document.) So, in order to get 1Password 6 set up on your new machine, we'll need to locate your license file in our records.

Please send an email in to support+forums@agilebits.com with any alternate names or email addresses that you may have used when purchasing 1Password and we'll help you get this sorted out! (Please do not post any personal information in the forums, as they are public.)

ref: 27998, 335998?

• Sensel
    Sensel
    Community Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

It is the same email address.
    I had the license keys sent to me in an email from agile bits with my license Sept. 20, 2017. Whatever that number is. I think from a 2013 update, maybe?
    Regardless, why can't a user just type in that key? It was pretty simple that way.
    Why does this company make so many changes that mess up things with your customers? I have never had to contact one company so many times about such simple things that should never break and should always work.
    You guys need to take a long look in the mirror and fire many chefs in your kitchen. There are too many and your menu changes too often and your customers end up confused. Consistency, quality, simplicity is how it should be.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Sensel,

I've sent you an email in the hopes that we can track down this license for you! Please reply to the message in your inbox.

ref: LBG-51941-472

• Sensel
    Sensel
    Community Member
    Options

OK, so now what is about to happen is the BIGGEST problem Agile Bits has with customer help.
    I sent an email reply. But it does not seem to go to you and in the past HAS NOT gone to my initial contact (you, in this case) but ANOTHER PERSON. Who I have to start ALL OVER WITH again on all of this. Then, usually, a THIRD or FOURTH person comes on.

It is a fricken nightmare for your customers.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Sensel,

Hopefully our transition from forum to email is smooth! I have summarized the conversation we've already had for the email support team and am monitoring our email system so that your latest email doesn't get lost. :)

This discussion has been closed.