What happened to Knox info? I want to stop using Knox

Chris1234Chris1234 Junior Member

Hi.
Since Knox is no longer supported and it seems unlikely you're going to give it any support in the future, I want to stop using Knox and convert my password protected Knox partition to a regular MacOS password protected partition.
How do I do that?
Your help is much appreciated,
warm regards
Cris

Comments

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@Chris1234: I think you're misunderstanding. Knox is no longer being sold or actively developed, but we do still support folks who have purchased and use it.

The reality is that Knox is just a great frontend for managing macOS disk images. I personally still use Knox and I know others do as well, but if it stopped working or I chose not to, the vaults created with are still disk image that still work just fine in macOS, so I'd recommend just continuing to use those in that case.

Disk images are what I'd recommend anyway given your question, and if you're using Knox you're already using those. A new user can't buy Knox, but you can because you already have it. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Chris1234Chris1234 Junior Member

Appreciate your help, that sounds good.

Just one more question. In my anticipated new machine, when I won't be able to load Knox to load its disk image because it's absent, how do I load its password protected disk image? Is that through Disk Utility? Any other way?

Thanks.

• Andrew_AGAndrew_AG

Team Member

You should still be able to use Knox on your new Mac. Just install it from our https://agilebits.com/downloads page and it should work the same as before.

• Chris1234Chris1234 Junior Member

And if Knox doesn't work? How do I load its password protected disk image? Is that through Disk Utility? Any other way?

• Andrew_AGAndrew_AG

Team Member

MacOS should be able to open the vault with or without Knox installed. Disk Utility doesn’t even need to be launched to unlock encrypted sparse bundles in the Finder.

I should also add that if you are looking for alternatives to Knox, while t's not an official AgileBits recommendation, I've personally begun using Boxcryptor, which I like a lot since it can also be used on iOS, and be synced between devices.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@Chris1234: I'm not sure if we're talking short-term purchase of a Mac that exists, or hypothetical future Mac/macOS; but it totally works here on High Sierra just as it did on Sierra, so likely no change at all at least for another year. Disk images can be opened from Disk Utility, but it's easy enough to mount them by double-clicking in Finder as well. Cheers! :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file