Family Plan - Identity Fields Are Inadequate - Feature Request

Options
Stecyk
Stecyk
Community Member

I am looking at your fields in the "Identity" section. They appear inadequate because I only see one address listed. Some users might want to have some or all of the following:

• home address
  • work address one
  • work address two
  • billing address
  • cottage or second home address

In today's environment, it is not unusual for a person to be a consultant to more than one company. That's the reason behind two work addresses. I have a home and a billing address. Many people have a home away from home.

While you have blank labels for new fields, they are not in the same format at your address fields.

I would like to be able to hit a button "New" and have it provide me with some options such as "address," "email," "cell," "website," "occupation," or whatever.

By adding additional fields in the appropriate locations, I can have all my emails grouped nicely together. The same applies to websites and others.

In short, I would like more flexibility to add more fields and still have everything look beautiful.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @Stecyk! I just responded to one of your other threads, so hey why not hop in here too? :lol:

Indeed, you can add your own fields to accomplish the things you mentioned. What isn't the same about custom fields? I just played around with the address fields and they look identical. Here's a screenshot of what I created:

If you have some ideas for how we can make that better, or something I missed, let me know and we'll go from there. I just want to make sure we're on the same page with things. :)

• Stecyk
    Stecyk
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, they look the same. But if you were using your browser to fill in fields, does it provide you with a choice of your addresses? My guess is no, it does not. I would like to have as many proper address fields as I desire so that when I fill out forms, the browser extension shows me my list of addresses to choose from. I could then select the proper address field and have all the fields filled automatically.

To be fair, I haven't used your browser extension yet. I am familiar with a competitor's product that allows its users to do just as I am wanting to do with 1Password.

Thank you, Jacob, for listening and responding.

• @Stecyk: You're right that you won't see an option to choose one or the other in the extension if you use custom fields as Jacob noted. I can't speak to how the workflow looks with other products, but I, too, have multiple addresses that need to be filled at times and I handle this by having multiple Identity items and tacking the particular address's purpose onto the end of the title (ie: Kate - Work, Kate - Home). The way our browser extension works, you'll see both of these in the extension menu and be able to choose the appropriate item for the address you want to fill. Does this sound more like the functionality you're looking for?

• Stecyk
    Stecyk
    Community Member
    Options

@bundtkate, thank you for reading and replying to my comment.

Yes, you are describing the functionality that I am looking for, though I would still prefer just one identity with multiple address fields. For example, I have a home and a billing address. I also have more than one personal email. Would I then need to provide the same emails on both identities? If I don't, then I might have the wrong email on the wrong identity when I need to use it for filling out forms?

Of course, one of the challenges is that I am used to doing my routine a certain way. Most people don't like change. So I need to make sure that I am open to new ways of doing things.

Here's what I am accustomed to and like:

• Name and birth date as the top item
    • emails: I can have as many email addresses as I like. I just keeping adding and labeling them.
    • phones: I can have as many phones as I like. I just keep adding them and labeling them. For example: home, cell, Skype phone numbers, whatever.
    • addresses: I can have as many as I like. I just keep adding them and labeling them. For example: home, billing, work, whatever.
    • company: Same as previous.
    • websites: Same as previous.

Each category is listed in an "accordion" style. That is, I can collapse "addresses" to only see the major heading of "addresses." And within "addresses," I can collapse each address so that I don't have see every detail of that particular address.

When I am filling out forms, I just pick and choose. It's easy and intuitive.

When I look at your Identity, I see five lines for phones:

1. default phone
    2. home
    3. cell
    4. business
    5. custom field

The default phone is going to be home, cell, or business. In my case, I also have a Skype phone number. If I place my Skype number in the custom field, it won't show up as an option to be filled in.

So when we combine multiple address with multiple phone numbers, it gets a bit unwieldy to start creating multiple identities with different bits of information that are duplicated across identities. If a person has other stuff—as I am sure many do—it gets even worse.

I like that 1Password has infinite flexibility in that there are custom fields that can used however the user sees fit. I just wish the user could change the custom field to be an "address field" or a "phone field" or whatever.

From your response, I know you understand exactly where I am struggling. Your solution seems helpful, though, as mentioned, I would still prefer a more comprehensive Identity page.

I hope my comments provide some food for thought.

Thank you, again, for reading, considering, and responding to my post.

• @Stecyk: Thank you for providing such thoughtful and thorough feedback! I absolutely love reading comments like yours as it does give us some food for thought and, whether we jump on your suggestions right away or not, we are always looking for new ways to make 1Password better and easier to use. We do keep track of these things, so detailed suggestions with specific use-cases like yours are always super helpful to us. :chuffed:

I like that 1Password has infinite flexibility in that there are custom fields that can used however the user sees fit. I just wish the user could change the custom field to be an "address field" or a "phone field" or whatever.

You actually can set the type of your custom fields and I'm sorry I didn't point this out sooner. We use 1Password so much, it's easy for us to assume things are obvious when they're definitely not when you first start using 1Password. You can find a more detailed guide on custom fields here, but in short you can use the ... icon next to your custom field to pick its "type," including address.

Now, I did check adding an extra address field to my Identity item and I can copy that address from the extension, but it won't fill and, when the webpage splits up the address entry into multiple fields (as most are wont to do), it won't past properly either. A sad trombone played in my head, but you're absolutely right that I'm picking up what you're laying down. I'm glad my method can be of some help for now, but I'll definitely pass along your feedback re: filling of custom fields to the team. :+1:

As a follow-up on filling that extra address, could you help me follow a bit better how you'd like the filling process to work? I'm imagining some of my Text Expander snippets where I have to select checkboxes next to certain options before telling it to expand. There's a utility there in that one snippet can serve multiple purposes, but if I'm being honest, I really hate it. I much prefer a one-click solution, otherwise I wonder if I couldn't type faster than my productivity tool. While a better way of handling your numerous combinations of addresses, phone numbers and e-mails isn't readily coming to mind, perhaps you have something different in mind. Regardless, I want to make sure I'm passing along your suggestion and not my misinterpretation of it. :chuffed:

• Stecyk
    Stecyk
    Community Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

@bundtkate, I am really enjoying our correspondence because we're helping each other, and we seem to be understanding each other very well. Let's tackle the information and questions posed in your latest response.

Custom Fields

Yes, thank you. That's extremely helpful, though there are a few shortcomings. You mention that it won't fill and paste into a webpage. That's a bit of a disappointment. Also, when I look at your Identity page, I notice that there is not an opportunity to add an address field directly below "Address." There should be. And it would be great to allow us to add as many addresses as we desire. That would apply to phones and everything else. Any heading should allow users to add more items of that heading.

At present, if I want to add an additional address, it gets stuck below the phone numbers.

Process on Filling Extra Addresses OR Using Additional Addresses on Webpage Forms

I use TextExpander too. So I know what you are talking about.

I went to a magazine site so that I could test my explanation to make sure that I was giving you the correct process. It is really slick.

Here's the process.

1. Go to a magazine site, say Time Magazine.
    2. Select that I want a Print & Digital Subscription
    3. Enter my information.

When I get to the "Enter your information" part of the website, my address information is already entered. My name, address, city, email. Boom, it's done. But let's say that it has chosen the wrong address or email. No problem. I merely place my cursor in the street address field (or any field relating to the address) on the webpage, and up pops, in my case, three boxes from the extension:

1. Home address
    2. Billing address
    3. Office address

I just hit any of the address boxes, and boom, everything is adjusted. The street address, city (if applicable), and zip or postal code. Once I have indicated the appropriate choice based on one field, all corresponding fields that depend on that selection are modified.

The same applies to email.

Moving down to the "Enter your payment information" the field is blank.

I place my cursor in the field, and the extension presents me with several choices to choose from. I tap on my Amex card, and everything is then filled out, including expiration date.

This is so darn intuitive. What would you do if you didn't like the preselected answer? You'd place your cursor as you plan to make changes. But when you do, you are given a selection of choices in a well designed and beautiful pop-up from your extension. Just pick the option that you like—and boom, everything is properly filled out.

Please feel free to follow up with more questions or clarifications.

• Stecyk
    Stecyk
    Community Member
    Options

As I reread your post, I might have previously answered a different question than you were asking.

Here's how it works on a competitor's product.

On the "Personal Info" page are the following categories in accordion style:

1. Name, including birthdate, place of birth
    2. Emails
    3. Phones
    4. Addresses
    5. Company
    6. Websites

So how do I add more addresses (or phones or whatever)?

At the top of the page is a Add New button. When I hit Add New, then I am given choice of the prior six categories. I can choose an additional address.

Let's say I add an address. When I do, I get a pop-up with all the fields of the address waiting to be completed. I can name this address as well, as you might expect. Let's say, we create a new address called "Costa Rica Condo."

Once I have created a new address—say, Costa Rica Condo—when I hover over the right hand side beside the address, I see an edit gear. I click on the edit gear, I am then presented with a sheet of my previously filled in information. I can modify any of the address fields that I like. And, of course, I can delete it entirely.

In the case of the address field, it's comprehensive.

• Address:
    • City:
    • State:
    • Zip code:
    • Name of this address: Costa Rica Condo
    • Recipient:
    • Building:
    • Floor:
    • Apartment
    • Door code:
    • Phone number: (The phone number lists a dropdown that shows all my phone numbers.)

So coming back to your question, there's no checkboxes for certain options to expand. You merely click on the Add New to add something new. Just tell it what you want to add. It then adds an additional item to one of the six groups. And then you fill it in. And you can modify or delete later.

• Stecyk
    Stecyk
    Community Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

@bundtkate, As I reread your post, I might have previously answered a different question than you were asking.

2. Emails
    3. Phones
    4. Addresses
    5. Company
    6. Websites

At the top of the page is a Add New button. When I hit Add New, then I am given choice of the prior six categories. I can choose an additional address.

Let's say I add an address. When I do, I get a pop-up with all the fields of the address waiting to be completed. I can name this address as well, as you might expect. Let's say, we create a new address called "Costa Rica Condo."

Once I have created a new address—say, Costa Rica Condo—when I hover over the right hand side beside the address, I see an edit gear. I click on the edit gear, I am then presented with a sheet of my previously filled in information. I can modify any of the address fields that I like. And, of course, I can delete it entirely.

• Address:
    • City:
    • State:
    • Zip code:
    • Recipient:
    • Building:
    • Floor:
    • Apartment:
    • Door code:
    • Phone number: (The phone number lists a dropdown that shows all my phone numbers.)

So coming back to your question, there's no checkboxes for certain options to expand. You merely click on the Add New to add something new. Just tell it what you want to add. It then adds an additional item to one of the six groups. And then you fill it in. And you can modify or delete later.

• @Stecyk: I see what you mean about the UX you're used to and I'm also totally loving this! It's great to be able to have a real dialogue and it's a cool experience to see 1Password through the eyes of someone not as entrenched as I am. :wink:

You had mentioned you hadn't used the extension just yet a few replies back, so I'm wondering if you may find that the extension creates an experience similar to what you're used to when used with multiple Identity items. On Mac, the extension has a menu showing all the categories in your selected vault. You select Identities and are presented with all Identity items and can pick which to fill. Let's take your magazine example and apply it to 1Password. When you're on the page to enter your information for your shipping address, the field will be empty, but:

1. Click the extension icon in your browser
    2. Select Identities and choose the proper Identity item (Work, Home, etc.).
    3. Boom. Your information is filled in.

I feel like this may work similarly to what you're used to because you spoke of dependencies (ie - work address is associated with a certain phone, e-mail, etc.) and this is exactly what happens when you have more than 1 Identity item. You only include the info associated with your Work address in your Work Identity item. So when you pick Stecyk - Work in the 1Password extension, you know it will fill the proper info.

Similarly, when moving on to billing, you have Credit Card items in 1Password. These also have billing addresses included, so if it so happens that the Amex you want to use to pay bills to a different address, no worries. Same process:

1. Click the extension icon in your browser.
    2. Select the Credit Cards category and choose your Amex.
    3. Boom. Credit Card details (including proper billing address) are filled for you.

Effectively, your Add New is what's being handled differently here. Rather than having this add another option when you click these fields, you accomplish this by adding a new Identity item with your new address information. Make sense? I'd love for you to give the extension a try. I get a feeling your efforts to take baby steps are hiding some of the 1Password UX from you and giving the wrong impression.

I notice that there is not an opportunity to add an address field directly below "Address." There should be.

There actually is, though I'm not 100% sure if this a beta feature or not as I'm using the beta on my Mac and I'm more of a PC person so what's beta and not on Mac doesn't stick with me as well, but there's a hamburger menu (you know, those 3 lines on top of each other browsers are so fond of?) next to your custom field. Once you've filled in your additional address (if that's what you choose to do), click the hamburger menu and drag it to where you want it. If you don't see this and it is a beta feature, you can always give the beta a try yourself, if you do decide this is the best way to handle your Identity items.

• Stecyk
    Stecyk
    Community Member
    Options

@bundtkate, thank you for your reply.

I feel like this may work similarly to what you're used to because you spoke of dependencies (ie - work address is associated with a certain phone, e-mail, etc.) and this is exactly what happens when you have more than 1 Identity item. You only include the info associated with your Work address in your Work Identity item. So when you pick Stecyk - Work in the 1Password extension, you know it will fill the proper info.

But here's the difference. Even if I pick my Office, I can pick any phone number.

With your description of 1Password, it will lock on a specific identity. So if it is the Office, then it picks the Office phone number and email, even though I might want to use my cell number and a different email.

With my current solution, I can change the address, and the address fields change. The address, phone numbers, and emails can be each entered independently of one another on a webpage.

Effectively, your Add New is what's being handled differently here. Rather than having this add another option when you click these fields, you accomplish this by adding a new Identity item with your new address information. Make sense? I'd love for you to give the extension a try. I get a feeling your efforts to take baby steps are hiding some of the 1Password UX from you and giving the wrong impression.

But this new identity is clumsier in my opinion. I have to fill out my name every time. And then I have duplicate phone numbers. And it might even get more confusing if identities are supposed to have specific phones numbers and emails associated with each of them.

I think I understand your multiple identity solution. To me, it lacks the elegance of one simple solution. Allow the user to have as much (or as little) information on a identity page as he or she desires. And if there are more than one address fields present, allow the user to choose from among them when filling out forms. The same applies to phone numbers and email addresses. I also like the accordion style where I can hide the clutter of the details. Once I know my address is correct, I can just see "Home Address." I don't need to see all the details. Heck, once I have my addresses all entered, I can just collapse the entire Address section. It's nice and clean.

To be honest, I feel that 1Password is nine-tenths of the way toward my idealized solution. All it has to do is to allow convenient placement of additional fields of each type (more address fields below address, more phone fields below phone and so on); allow users to pick and choose different fields independently of each other when filling out forms (for example, office location with any phone number and any email); and add an accordion type structure so that it more aesthetically pleasing. It sounds like the additional fields and placement of those fields has been addressed. The other two items (freedom to select any option for a webpage and accordion display) shouldn't be show-stoppers to implement.

Then, user can choose: A, one identity page with everything; B, separate identity pages for specific purposes or locations; or C, some combination of A and B.

With regard to address fields directly below one another, when I look at 1Password (latest non-beta version), the line below "zip" and "country" is "default phone." There no opportunity to add another field directly below. I tried dragging the hamburger menu. Nothing moved, except my mouse.

It isn't baby steps so much that are holding me back. Instead, both 1Password and the competitor don't support Microsoft Edge. I am now using that as my primary browser. When I need to fill in a form, I just fire up Chrome and do what I need to do. Of course, it is still using my old password program. But it works.

Beta sounds interesting. But again, I use Edge. Once I have entered my credentials for a webpage, I can choose to have Edge remember those details for me. So I don't do a lot of webpage entering of credentials anymore. I am not sure that Beta would be helpful to me or that I would be helpful to the Beta community.

When I began this thread, I was in the process—and am still in the process—of transferring all my information over to 1Password. It was when I got to identity stuff that I became a bit flustered. And then I began this thread.

You've been incredibly helpful in pointing out potential solutions to my challenges. So thank you!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Stecyk: I'm glad that Kate was able to help a bit! Now, I hate to disagree with you here because you raise some really good points and have a lot of interesting suggestions, but at least for my workflow and other users I've helped, the way Identity filling currently works is a good fit. I think while we're kind of interested in the same things, we're getting bogged down in just at what stage the user chooses something to fill.

For example, with 1Password the choice is at the second level: Category (in this case, Identities) and then Item (again, now a particular Identity item, but it could as easily be a Credit Card or Login). So, as Kate mentioned, I've got several Identity items setup for different purposes: home, business, shopping, etc., with different address/email/etc. based on the use case.

What you're talking about seems to be different only in the sense that you want to push user choice down another level, to where it branches off a number of times:

--- Identity
    -- email address
    - (work)
    - (home)
    - (spam)
    - etc.
    -- postal address
    - (work)
    - (home)
    - (P.O. Box)
    - etc.
    -- and so on...

That to me seems like a lot of additional choices/selections any time I want to fill Identity information. Certainly there may be ways for us to present this seamlessly, perhaps using keyboard modifiers or shortcuts to speed things up, but this stuff is non-discoverable and can really cause trouble for users: a novice user may want to do this but find it burdensome to keep track of it all, and an advanced user may, often, not want to deal with this and just fill the thing without having to make a bunch of selections first. I think I fall somewhere in the middle: I love customizability, but more and more I find it preferable for software to just get out of my way so I can do something. And having to consciously decide every time which email I should use is something I find irksome, and therefore I have Identity items setup with the appropriate information so I don't need to waste cycles when I'm just trying to get stuff done.

Certainly I can see the appeal of all of this, but I think that's why 1Password's current approach is, at least for now, a good middle ground: most people will have only one or two Identities setup, and it's super easy to use those; similarly, long-time 1Password "power users" may have many setup, which can be duplicated and customized, so there's a wide variety of options to choose from if that's what they want. But in each case, all of these users have a minimal amount of "work" to use them:

1. Open 1Password mini (mouse, or keyboard: Ctrl Alt \)
    2. Select Identities
    3. Fill Identity

Literally, it's as easy as 1, 2, 3.

That said, what I do really agree with is that we should do better with regard to organization/placement of data within an item. 1Password goes back over a decade, so the templates are very much set in stone unless/until we make some major changes to accommodate the kind of flexibility you're looking for (and, frankly, that I and others would appreciate as well). One thing we're very interested in is custom categories, and if we're able to make that a reality without negatively impacting the things we already love about 1Password, we will. And that's also a good opportunity to look at things like this, perhaps separating the item structure from the functionality.

I also really like what I'd classify as a "puzzle" approach to Identity filling, characterized by using one Identity item with some information in it (mailing address, for example), and then using another afterward to fill some other details. I'm not sure how intuitive that would be to most people, but perhaps it's something we could do someday which would give you and others a bit more flexibility without making 1Password harder to use for those who don't have a need for that.

However, I muse say that since 1Password users spend the vast majority of their time in 1Password saving, filling, and updating Logins, that is going to remain our priority for the foreseeable future. We seemingly always have more work to do there, as browsers, sites, and standards change over time. So I don't want to give you false hope about these things, even though I find your feedback very thoughtful and compelling. We'll certainly keep your feedback in mind as we continue improving 1Password in general, and the new Windows app in particular. Cheers! :)

P.S: If it helps a bit, you can move custom fields up or down within the same section by selecting them while editing and pressing Alt ↑ or Alt ↓. I know it's a small thing, but I find it useful.

• Stecyk
    Stecyk
    Community Member
    Options

As I reread your post, I might have previously answered a different question than you were asking.

2. Emails
    3. Phones
    4. Addresses
    5. Company
    6. Websites

• Address:
    • City:
    • State:
    • Zip code:
    • Recipient:
    • Building:
    • Floor:
    • Apartment:
    • Door code:

• Stecyk
    Stecyk
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty, Thank you for your comments. I have responded below. I am not happy with my tone because I sound more aggressive than intended. I am literally typing my response on an iPad before hitting the lights and calling it a day. So, please, read my comments with a desire to understand and appreciate but also with a sense of humor.

So, as Kate mentioned, I've got several Identity items setup for different purposes: home, business, shopping, etc., with different address/email/etc. based on the use case.

I find multiple identities abhorrent. Why would I do that? My life isn't so neat that for Office I will always use these specific parameters. Or for shopping or any other category. But I do know that I will use an address, an email, and a phone number.

Having or using multiple identities, to me, is ugly and repetitious. I am telling 1Password my name for each identity. Why not tell 1Password just once?

My strong preference is a clean and uncluttered look and feel. It should be beautiful to look at as well as use.

What you're talking about seems to be different only in the sense that you want to push user choice down another level,

Not really. As mentioned, when I fill out forms for purchasing something, I need one, a shipping address; two, a billing address (which doesn't work with your multiple identities but one address per identity scenario); three, email address; and four, credit card. For me it's super fast. Within a few clicks, I am done.

As I understand your identity method, I can't even fill out a form because I have both a shipping and billing address. If I choose an identity, I am limited to only having one address that can be filled out on a form. That's a fail for me. I won't use 1Password for filling out purchase forms because I will have type stuff and possibly make a mistake.

That to me seems like a lot of additional choices/selections any time I want to fill Identity information.

No, I just chose an address. I am not choosing every single line of an address. Put it this way, I am reasonably confident that I could complete a purchase form faster and easier than you can if it contains a separate shipping and billing address. This is even more true if I want you to use a different phone number or email or address than the one you presently have in your shopping identity. You're locked into your identities. I am not.

I just place my cursor in any line of an address field, and than I can select whatever address I want. The whole address is populated. Boom. My method is very fast and flexible. Moreover, it's clean and uncluttered with no repetitive data entry stuff.

I love customizability, but more and more I find it preferable for software to just get out of my way so I can do something.

Here we agree. Having multiple identities with repetitive information (your name, for example) seems like I am serving 1Password, not 1Password serving me.

Certainly I can see the appeal of all of this, but I think that's why 1Password's current approach is, at least for now, a good middle ground: most people will have only one or two Identities setup, and it's super easy to use those; similarly, long-time 1Password "power users" may have many setup, which can be duplicated and customized, so there's a wide variety of options to choose from if that's what they want. But in each case, all of these users have a minimal amount of "work" to use them:

That sounds overly complicated. I couldn't limit myself to just two because I might choose different permutations and combinations at any time. And having many identities seems ugly to me. It's clutter. I want simple. I want clean. I want beautiful. And I want speed.

I wish I could demonstrate by showing you how easy and efficient an alternative approach is. I think you would like how clean and efficient it is and how simple it is to use.

With that, good-night.

• Hi @Stecyk - I appreciate the additional details you provided. :smile:

As I understand your identity method, I can't even fill out a form because I have both a shipping and billing address. If I choose an identity, I am limited to only having one address that can be filled out on a form. That's a fail for me. I won't use 1Password for filling out purchase forms because I will have type stuff and possibly make a mistake.

I can definitely understand where you're coming from and the need to have multiple address fields for shipping and billing. I do this myself from time to time. Thank you for taking the time to send us over your feature request and for providing your use case for such a feature. I'll make sure to pass this along the to the team and maybe this is something we can work on adding in the future. I'm sorry for not having a better answer at the moment but let us know if you have any additional questions. We're always here to help and listen.

• Stecyk
    Stecyk
    Community Member
    Options

@Frank @brenty I am going to reach out behind the scenes. Perhaps we can arrange a quick demo session. A picture is worth a thousand words and a live demonstration is worth something more. Let's see what happens.

Thank you for reading and responding and for being good sports as we discuss this issue.

• @Stecyk: If we're doing nothing else here, we're proving that all of us are definitely creatures of habit. Of course, there's nothing at all wrong with that. We love doing things our way because it works for us and what works for me is bound to be different than what works for you, at least a bit. That said, I also get the distinct feeling you are the creative sort who doesn't let something new and different dissuade you from finding a good solution, so I'm pretty confident you'll find a way to make 1Password work for you (and, of course, we're always happy to help). :+1:

You mentioned 1Password is 90% of the way to being your ideal solution and, given how varied our needs are as humans, I'd say that's pretty high praise so thank you. :chuffed: Of course, we'd love to hit that 100% mark, but it's good to have something to work towards. :wink:

• Stecyk
    Stecyk
    Community Member
    Options

@bundtkate Thank you for your comment.

I am conscious of the habit thing. I know people don't like change.

That said, I literally can't do what I am used to doing by using 1Password's current configuration. As quoted by @Frank above, I can't configure any identity to allow me to purchase something because I require 1) shipping address and 2) billing address. As discussed in this thread, an identity only allows for one address to populate a form. For my specific situation, I almost always—say greater than ninety percent of the time—require shipping and billing addresses to be completed. In short, this deficiency is a show-stopper.

With a competitor's product, it's a non-issue. Sometimes when a web-form presents both shipping and billing, the competitor's product nails them both. I don't have to make any adjustments. Boom, done.

Ninety percent is good. But we must remember that if we're ninety percent as fast as the fastest swimmer, runner, or whatever in the Olympics, we likely didn't even get a medal. Sometimes tiny increments are important.

I've sent an email to support with the attention to Frank and brenty. I should have included you too. I apologize for my oversight. Feel free to reach out to either or both of them. I am willing to provide a quick demo to show how a different approach can work. It wouldn't take long to demonstrate. Given your interest, I'd like to demonstrate to you too. (I would provide the case number and/or my email, but I suspect you'd prefer to keep those items off the message board. I am going to resend my support email asking that you be added.)

There are features that 1Password has that the competitor doesn't have. So I am happy to be on-board. In fact, I'm an early adopter to your Family Plan. If we could just crack this nut and add/change one additional feature, I would be completely happy. As it is now, I can work around the identity issue by either continuing to use the competitor's product (likely solution for filling out forms) or typing stuff in manually (dislike this idea).

Thank you for your comments, Kate.

• @Stecyk: I don't want to confuse things and keep a conversation going here that has already made the hop to e-mail, so I'll hunt down your e-mail and make sure I stalk it properly. I have been enjoying our little chat so I'm not about to let you leave me out. :wink:

No worries about not including me off the bat. I'm crafty and am sure I can find it so I stay in the loop. :chuffed:

• Stecyk
    Stecyk
    Community Member
    Options

@bundtkate That sounds fantastic. Please do track down the email. I did resend the email (with same case number) with the request that you are added. I'd love to have you as part of the demo. Let's hope that the demo happens.

• Stecyk
    Stecyk
    Community Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

@bundtkate, here is another post for you and your team to read and consider.

I have some information that, if you noodle on it, might allow for some breakthroughs.

I was curious as to why the other product nails it. That is, when I have to fill out a form to buy something, I can select any shipping address I want and then select the payment method with the billing address completed too.

Please consult my prior comment where I discussed the "Personal Info" page.

The key points are the accordion style where everything collapses and where in the address field it uses a dropdown to pick up the phone number. The last point is key because it save repetitive entries. (I don't like repetitive data entry because it is hard to maintain and is prone to errors.)

Let's say, for convenience sake, that I have three addresses: Location 1, Location 2, and Location 3. Location 3 is my billing address for all my credit cards. While I can accept deliveries at Location 3, I often choose Location 1 or Location 2.

Now, let's move along to the "Credit Card" page. In the CC page, I have all my credit cards with many fields similar those used in 1Password with one notable difference. Once again, an accordion style is used so that I see all my credit cards on one page. It's clean and efficient.

In the competitor's product, for each credit card is a field for its billing address. The billing address field, though, is a drop-down that picks up the locations that I entered in the "Personal Info" page. For me, that's Location 1, Location 2, or Location 3. And that makes perfect sense. A credit card needs to have an address attached to it. If you use the wrong address, the vendor is unable to process the charge (because it might be fraudulent).

Note the dropdown again. These dropdowns take advantage of information that we have previously entered. If I change something at its source, it cascades through. Beautiful.

So when I shop on the internet, I can select any one of my addresses from my Personal Info page as my shipping address. And when I go enter the payment details, I choose the credit card—boom, it fills in the credit card number plus the address associated with that card. That's simple and intuitive, right?

1Password doesn't allow for a billing address field in the credit card information. In my view, that's a glaring oversight. The credit card and its billing address are married. What happens if a person has several credit cards with different billing addresses. Is he or she supposed to remember the billing address associated with each card? No, of course not. So why not put that key billing address information along with the other key information for each credit card?

Anyway, that's the reason why the competitor is able to make the process so easy and seamless. You choose your shipping address and payment method, and the application takes care of all the details. The input data is nicely organized in an accordion style format. I can see as much or as little as I want at a time.

I hope this post helps you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That makes sense. It just isn't something that 1Password can do today, and isn't something we're going to be able to do right now. Certainly it sounds incredibly powerful, but for each feature we add we need to say no to many others. And given the choice between doing something like this which, while incredibly useful in your specific workflow, is not something others have requested and the many features that our customers ask us for every day, this probably isn't something we're going to work on for the foreseeable future. That calculation may change over time as we roll out the other things we're working on and get additional feedback from other users though, so we'll absolutely keep your request and comments in mind going forward, with the rest of the team having the opportunity to discuss this internally. Thank you! :chuffed:

ref: MKZ-55321-212

• Stecyk
    Stecyk
    Community Member
    Options

I am going to write a response in a respectful way that you are not going to like. When you get past the anger or discomfort toward the message, I hope you soak it. My goal in providing this message is not to anger you but to make you think and ultimately create a better product for all of us.

I find the response to my thread lame. While I am no Steve Jobs—none of us are—imagine a Steve Jobs-like authority figure at 1Password saying the following:

For a vendor to approve my Visa card transaction on the web, it needs the following five items: 1) my name as it is used on the card; 2) the card number; 3) the expiration date; 4) security code; and 5) the billing address. Can anyone tell me why our credit card input screen doesn't capture the billing address? Can anyone explain to me why I can't order X from Y vendor using our 1Password app and have the goods shipped to my office?

I imagine that when Steve Jobs was frustrated, he used more colorful and pointed language.

Or imagine an influential columnist at the Wall Street Journal, New York Times, or Consumer Reports saying, "Don't buy 1Password because many of you can't use it to purchase online goods and services. Instead, use Competitor X."

Many of your users purchase goods and services on the web where their delivery address is different from their billing address. Some users will want items delivered to their office or place of work. If that isn't feasible, they might choose to deliver to the office of their significant other. Or perhaps to the neighbor that is a few doors down from them.

As it stands now, I won't use your app for making purchases on the internet. Even with all your identities, you can't do the most simple and basic requirement of filling out a billing address when it is different from a shipping address.

As far as your customers not having asked for it, maybe it's because they haven't thought of it. They just tolerate the inconvenience. Why not surprise them with functionality that almost all of them will use (and enjoy) at some point, with many of them using that functionality frequently?

@bundtkate, you've been wonderful in discussing my challenge. Throughout this thread, you sought to fully understand my challenge and plug holes where appropriate. For example, you mentioned that I could use the hamburger menu to change the field type. I appreciate that you did all you could do to fully understand why and where I was struggling.

I am going to respond to your email with another email. It will provide additional information. Please be on the lookout for it.

Thank you everyone for reading and responding to my thread.

• Ben
    Options

I’m really sorry that 1Password does not meet your needs in this regard. I certainly understand the use case, and I actually run into this myself (having a PO Box for mail but a street address for shipping). Unfortunately making secondary addresses fillable is just not on the radar at the moment. Filling is an incredibly complex process, which sometimes feels like more art than science. We do certainly appreciate your feedback, and hopefully as web standards continue to evolve taking on more in the realm of filling will be more realistic.

Ben

• Stecyk
    Stecyk
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, Ben, for your considerate comment. Where I struggle is that others have managed to solve this problem already. It's been solved a considerable period. In the email that I sent, I have provided additional information. If you can, please read see the email that I sent.

My impression—rightly or wrongly—is that 1Password chose to add additional appendages in the form of identities when it could use the data already given by the users more effectively. That's not to say that identities have no use or purpose. It does say, however, that even without identities, I presently have more functionality using a different product. The very problem you describe in your above message wouldn't be a problem at all for you, even with just a single identity.

While I don't pretend to understand the complexities of form filling, nor do I want to understand all the complexities. I just know that at least one product has managed to slay that hydra into submission. For users, they are oblivious to the complexities. It just works.

I appreciate your comment. Take care.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It's something we'd like to pursue as we build future versions of 1Password, but it sounds like you really need this capability now...and that just isn't something we can do for you. If and when we do things in this area, it will require a lot of development and testing before you would ever see it yourself. It just isn't something we're going to work on right now, and if we are able to in the future that could be a long way off, so I think it's completely reasonable — and good — that you use something else if 1Password isn't a good fit for you in this regard. I've really enjoyed the discussion here, and this gives us some insight into your workflow and ideas for how we can improve Identity filling in 1Password down the road. Thank you! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.