Universal Clipboard Option?

Options
hesspaul
hesspaul
Community Member

The info I see on the forum about Universal Clipboard is that you were not going to support it, as discussed at https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/68850/will-you-enable-disabling-of-universal-clipboard.

But it seems you do support it, and there is no option to choose whether to copy passwords to it. Apologies if I missed an announcement somewhere else.

My particular situation is that I have a clipboard manager on OS/X, so any time I use 1P on any of my iOS devices, it is automatically sent to the Mac and stored in my clipboard history of the most recent 50 items until it falls off the end!

I'd love the option to disable sending the info from the iOS side.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @hesspaul - thanks for writing. When Universal Clipboard debuted, there was obviously some talk here about how it was going to be handled (as I imagine there was at many developers' shops). I wasn't involved directly in the discussions here about it, but I think what eventually was worked out was because we can't shut it off on the Mac side, and because our admittedly non-scientific customer response about it indicated that most people wanted it anyway, we decided not to add an option to shut it off. This feature also only gets copied on demand, so if you don't paste on the Mac, it shouldn't actually get copied to the Mac. I think this also requires devices to be in handoff range (as opposed to functioning across the internet), so it only works within Bluetooth range. The data are also encrypted, so I wouldn't worry too much about the transmission itself. And finally, we adopted the nspasteboard identifier specs, so that it would be handled properly by most major clipboard manager apps (Alfred, LaunchBar, Keyboard Maestro, TextExpander, several others). That last point makes me wonder what utility you're using, and whether it can be set to respect nspasteboard identifiers -- or otherwise exclude data from 1Password? That might be a good feature request to the developer of the clipboard manager if you feel so inclined.

• hesspaul
    hesspaul
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your response Lars. In my particular case I use ClipboardHistory on the Mac, and even when I'm not at my Mac it seems to grab every iOS copy and add to the history, rather than on demand as you mentioned. In most cases that's wonderful. I can be working on iOS and copy 12 different things, then later come to my Mac and have them all available. But ideally I wouldn't want passwords to be included in that history. Perhaps I can configure clipboard history not to demand those, but not sure how.

• Ben
    Options

I’m not familiar with ClipboardHistory in particular, but I use Alfred for managing my clipboard and it correctly ignores passwords from 1Password and other sensitive data and does not store it in the clipboard history.

So it is possible for utilities to respect that. :)

Ben

• hesspaul
    hesspaul
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars @Ben their last tweet or blog was 2013, so unlikely they are updating. :(

Too bad, with a promising company name like "Agile Route".

• Ben
    Options

Ah, that’s too bad. :( Fortunately there are a lot of choices for clipboard managers out there.

Ben

• NathanLucy
    NathanLucy
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, you can make LaunchBar's clipboard ignore 1Password. Go to LaunchBar's → Preferences → Clipboard → Ignore. Add 1Password.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@NathanLucy - thanks for the tip! :)

This discussion has been closed.