Identification - Feature Request (passport, social insurance number, driver license)

Stecyk
Stecyk
Community Member
edited October 2017 in Families

I would like to have the "identification" stuff cleaned up and more organized.

Inconsistency

Drivers License: If I leave "Drivers License" title alone, then when I look at it in the left-hand margin, I see "Driver License" along with my Driver License number. That's okay if I am just storing my information. If I am storing other family members too, then it becomes more challenging.

Social Security Number: If I leave the "Social Security Number" title alone, then when I look at it in the left-hand margin, I see "Social Security Number" along with my name. That's good. Why can't Driver License behave the same way? Why does one show my name and the other show a number. It would be great if both showed their titles and the names that are applicable to each.

Now I could replace the titles with the names of the individuals. In that case, the social insurance number will display in the left-hand margin, "name and name." I prefer to leave the titles alone so that I know what I am looking at.

Disorganized

It would be great to have an identification page where once you've entered your name and birth date, those become the default names and birthdates for everything else on that page. You could overwrite it. For example, you might use a middle initial on your driver license but your complete middle name on your passport. It would be nice to see my social security number, passport, and driver license, all in one spot. As it is now, I am constantly retyping my name and birthdate.

If you are going to keep everything separate, it would be great if the software provided you with your prior information already filled out. That is, after I tell the software my birthday once, it should know my birthdate from that point forward.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• bundtkate
    edited October 2017

@Stecyk: Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback!

Drivers License: If I leave "Drivers License" title alone, then when I look at it in the left-hand margin, I see "Driver License" along with my Driver License number. That's okay if I am just storing my information. If I am storing other family members too, then it becomes more challenging.

I can definitely see how that might be the case. I suspect the goal here is to show useful information at a glance (assuming this information isn't sensitive). In the case of a Driver's License item, most of us are going to be looking for the number, so it can be nice to see that at a glance, but it does make it more difficult to determine which item belongs to which person if you're not wanting to change the titles. Obviously, SSNs aren't going to display the number as that's sensitive information and you don't want it to pop up when someone might be looking over your shoulder. For what it's worth, these categories are displayed in the apps (where varies depending on which you're using) and in the extension so that you have more than just the title to rely on to identify what type of item you're looking at. Plus, you can always limit what you're seeing to the proper type of item, no matter how you change the title. All the same, I tend to keep default titles for things like Drivers Licenses and SSNs so I don't need to worry about selecting the proper category and, where needed, I tack a name or initials onto the end so that info is available at a glance. :+1:

It would be great to have an identification page where once you've entered your name and birth date, those become the default names and birthdates for everything else on that page. You could overwrite it.

Are you talking about having 1Password remember your entries in previous items for use in future items? Or are wanting to be able to set defaults independently? Maybe a feature that suggests previously entered information when creating a new item? I'm not sure whether or not either of these is something we're capable of doing at this point, but I can certainly pass along your feedback to the team. Just want to first make sure we're on the same page here. :chuffed:

• Stecyk
    Stecyk
    Community Member

@bundtkate, thank you for reading and responding.

All the same, I tend to keep default titles for things like Drivers Licenses and SSNs so I don't need to worry about selecting the proper category and, where needed, I tack a name or initials onto the end so that info is available at a glance.

Yes, I like that idea of tacking on initials at the end.

As a general rule, my personal preference is to leave things in their default state or condition. So I tend to leave default titles and so on. Your suggestion of adding initials or something at the end is good, though.

Are you talking about having 1Password remember your entries in previous items for use in future items? Or are wanting to be able to set defaults independently? Maybe a feature that suggests previously entered information when creating a new item? I'm not sure whether or not either of these is something we're capable of doing at this point, but I can certainly pass along your feedback to the team. Just want to first make sure we're on the same page here

Upon reflection, this idea probably doesn't have much merit. It seems that some information is entered repetitively. For example, your name is applied to many of your identity documents as well as credit and bank cards. While your name could be automatically entered, my name does change slightly depending on the document. Sometimes, there is a middle initial, sometimes no middle initial, and sometimes my complete middle name is used. It isn't a big deal to repeat typing one's name a few times. I don't see much else being repeated.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

As a general rule, my personal preference is to leave things in their default state or condition. So I tend to leave default titles and so on. Your suggestion of adding initials or something at the end is good, though.

@Stecyk: I agree with you in principle, but in practice I find that makes it harder for me to locate the information I need quickly. So I liberally add additional words to titles and item details so I can easily find them when searching according to how I think.

For example, after having a heck of a time finding my Roadrunner internet account once, I added TWC and Time Warner as "keywords" (really just stuff I dump into the Notes section) — and I often add initials to titles as well to differentiate between similar accounts, such as Apple IDs.

It helps me at least to make sure that the thing my brain thinks to search for when looking for something brings it up in a search. Just a practical suggestion. :)

Upon reflection, this idea probably doesn't have much merit. It seems that some information is entered repetitively. For example, your name is applied to many of your identity documents as well as credit and bank cards. While your name could be automatically entered, my name does change slightly depending on the document. Sometimes, there is a middle initial, sometimes no middle initial, and sometimes my complete middle name is used. It isn't a big deal to repeat typing one's name a few times. I don't see much else being repeated.

It's not a bad idea at all, but certainly it depends on the use case. For instance, I specifically have different information even for just my name depending on the context: I intentionally use my full legal name for Social Security and Drivers License items (which are effectively reference material), but not for Identities (which I actively use for filling on websites when making a purchase). Certainly some of this information is redundant in fact, but I find it useful to tailor things based on use. Cheers! :chuffed:

• Stecyk
    Stecyk
    Community Member

@brenty, thank you for your comments.

I agree with you that adding initials to titles will prove helpful. In my past experience with a competitor's product, I was entering information for myself only. So that made things somewhat simpler and somewhat repetitive. Now, I want to plan to be more flexible and comprehensive with the information that I enter.

I also use your keyword technique. I often use a hash mark followed by the keyword in the notes section. Like you, I find this technique helpful to find what I am looking for, especially as our list of passwords and secure notes grow.

With regard to pre-filled out forms based on prior entries, if you are able to make some use of those comments, then great. As I thought about it more, it didn't seem to be as compelling of an idea as I had first thought.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Totally! Things were much simpler for me too when it was only my own data, but sharing vaults with others means re-evaluating some organizational stuff at least. ;)

While we don't have plans to do exactly what you were asking for at this point, this sort of feedback is immensely helpful as we develop future versions of 1Password. Hearing from folks like you about your own preferences and use case means we can consider that as well instead of just relying on our own experience. Thanks so much for taking the time to let us know, and don't hesitate to reach out with any other comments, suggestions, or requests you might have. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.