Duplicate 1Password extensions on Chrome OS

Options

I just installed the latest 1Password extension beta on my Chromebook version 61+.

I have all of my Chrome settings synced across machines. This allows Chrome to sync extensions, settings, users, etc. Because of this, I now have two 1Password extensions showing in my browser on the Chrome OS machine. One of them doesn't work, presumably because it's not the special Beta one, and the other does work. I haven't yet looked at my Windows machine to see if Chrome is trying to sync the Beta extension to the non-ChromeOS machine.

Everything functions as you'd expect but this use case might be confusing to a user that isn't quite as knowledgeable about what's happening.

1Password Version: N/A
Extension Version: 0.8.6 (Beta)
OS Version: ChromeOS 61
Sync Type: 1Password account

Comments

• jvolk
    jvolk
    Community Member
    Options

I share Chrome logins across platforms... with Windows and OSX, (and now with Ubuntu). When you do this, it will keep both versions of the app ON. This is not a problem for Win and OSX as they seem to prioritize the normal version, but in Ubuntu Chrome I have to turn off the normal version of the extension to have the alpha version work.

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @Jvolk,

Welcome to the Support Forum! It sounds like you're using your Google account to sync your Chrome extensions. When this is enabled, any Chrome extension you install will be also installed on the rest of your devices. Since our new Chrome OS and Linux extension is completely different than our Mac and Windows extension both will always be visible if you've installed both.

If you don't want both browser extensions visible, you can disable syncing extensions on your Linux computer(s) in Chrome Preferences > Sync. Then just remove the extra 1Password extensions from all your computers by right-clicking them and selecting Remove from Chrome....

Let me know if that helps.

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• jvolk
    jvolk
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks I'll give this a shot!

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're welcome. :+1: :)

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• danhopkins
    danhopkins
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the explanation, that makes sense. Just checking: is this a temporary plan during development? (it's no problem at all during Alpha/Beta, but I'd hope the extensions become unified for release - I'd hate to be stuck with this as a permanent workaround on my Linux hosts)

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@danhopkins: That's a tough question to answer, and honestly I can't make any promises on our plans (as they change regularly). I understand where you're coming from and I can relate as I use Chrome to sync extensions too. I'll talk with the rest of the team and see if we can find a creative solution. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm just over (maybe under?) thinking this and it can be easily resolved. Thanks for taking your time to let us know your thoughts and welcome to the beta crew!

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• Goldnessel
    Goldnessel
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,
    thanks for the invitation to the Chrome Beta :)

Now my question.
    At home on my Windows PC I like the extension for chrome with full support of the 1Password6 App.
    At work on my Linux PC I now have the Chrome Extension.

So far this one works fine for me, but it would be a great feature, if I could toggle the state of both extensions according to the PCs OS...

On Linux I don't want to see the full integrated Windows extension and on Windows I don't want to see the Linux extension.

Best Regards,
    Jens

• Goldnessel
    Goldnessel
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,
    the new icon for 1Password for chrome has a very bad visibility on dark themes.
    The 1Password6 extension icon is a little brighter.

An icon similar to the favicon would be better to find - and some visible extras for the two different extensions would be great - including different tooltip!

Best Regards,
    Jens

Extension Version: 4.6.9.90 and 0.8.4
    OS Version: Windows 10 and Linux Mint
    Sync Type: 1Password Family

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @Goldnessel,

Thanks for joining the 1Password for Chrome beta! :+1:

I hope you don't mind, I've merged your posts here since I feel like it is reasonably related.

At home on my Windows PC I like the extension for chrome with full support of the 1Password6 App.
    At work on my Linux PC I now have the Chrome Extension.
    So far this one works fine for me, but it would be a great feature, if I could toggle the state of both extensions according to the PCs OS...
    On Linux I don't want to see the full integrated Windows extension and on Windows I don't want to see the Linux extension.

This sounds like you're using Google Chrome to sync your extensions. To prevent this, you can follow my post above to disable syncing of Chrome extensions, or you may find using two different Chrome profiles better in the long run. Personally, I prefer the latter to keep my work related browsing separate from home.

the new icon for 1Password for chrome has a very bad visibility on dark themes.
    The 1Password6 extension icon is a little brighter.
    An icon similar to the favicon would be better to find - and some visible extras for the two different extensions would be great - including different tooltip!

I'll need to double-check, but I believe Google Chrome doesn't notify us if the current theme is dark or light which unfortunately prevents us from switching between a light or dark icon. We've discussed this issue before, so it's certainly something that may change in the future. I would think changing the tooltip wouldn't be necessary once you only have a single 1Password extension installed (without syncing).

I hope this helps, thank you very much for your input.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions, and have a great week! :)

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• sarusi
    sarusi
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,
    currently I have two 1Password extension installed,
    the new one and the old one which works fine on my mac.
    do I need the old one?

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @sarusi,

Welcome to the 1Password for Chrome beta! I hope you don't mind, but I've merged your post here since it's fairly related.

You don't need both extensions installed, but if you're using multiple operating systems you might want to disable extension syncing. This will allow you to use our native browser extension on your Windows and Macs, but use 1Password for Chrome on your Linux or Chrome OS devices.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• AventuraViper
    AventuraViper
    Community Member
    Options

Unfortunately, you cannot selectively sync extensions. While the initial confusion isn't ideal, you can disable the unneeded one per computer in chrome's extensions settings.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@aezell: @AventuraViper is absolutely correct. We will make this clearer in the future as it's not extremely intuitive. I merged your comment into this thread, which unfortunately resulted in some posts being out of order.

Personally, I just disable extension syncing altogether, but that might not be a great solution for everyone.

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• aezell
    aezell
    Community Member
    Options

@beyer Thanks for merging. Apologies for the duplication of topics.

The problem is less with syncing extensions specifically and more with syncing to ChromeOS. That's because the regular extension doesn't work there so it leads to the application/service seeming broken should a user run into it. Maybe the regular (non-ChromeOS/Linux) extension could recognize where it's installed and give a more helpful error/troubleshooting experience?

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@aezell:

Maybe the regular (non-ChromeOS/Linux) extension could recognize where it's installed and give a more helpful error/troubleshooting experience?

My thoughts exactly, and I firmly believe we should implement something like this with a good support article before our first public release.

Thanks for letting us know your experience, it's extremely helpful. I hope you have a pleasant weekend. :)

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• debdrex
    debdrex
    Community Member
    Options

I'm late to this discussion but when I followed Andrew's instructions to turn off syncing in Google:
    If you don't want both browser extensions visible, you can disable syncing extensions on your Linux computer(s) in Chrome Preferences > Sync. Then just remove the extra 1Password extensions from all your computers by right-clicking them and selecting Remove from Chrome....
    I found that "Remove from Chrome" did just that - removed it so that I had to reinstall it. Instead, I chose "Hide in Chrome menu" which seems to work on individual computers.

Best,
    Debbie

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Great @debdrex!

I've done that in the past as well, and depending on how many Chrome extensions you have it works nicely. I really which Google Chrome had a way to sync extensions selectively, but instead, we will need to get a little more creative on our end.

I hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend! :)

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

This discussion has been closed.