Can I use this for my Google/ChromeOS login?

Options

Hi, I'm new to 1password - just joined my spouse's account and upgraded to the family version. We did this once we saw you had a new ChromeOS beta, since I use a Chromebook/ChromeOS laptop as my main computer.

One of the main passwords I want to store in 1password is my Google password, but I'm afraid that once I change it to something I can't remember, I won't be able to log in to my Chromebook anymore. Does this extension allow me to paste my ChromeOS/Google login somehow?

Thanks for your help!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AventuraViper
    AventuraViper
    Community Member
    Options

The extension only runs from within your chrome browser so it won't be useful to login to your user account on a chromeOS laptop that uses the password to your google account. Can you set chromeOS user login to use a different password to your google account (I am not too familiar with the OS)?

Alternatively, just for this case, you could set a passphrase rather than a password, in the same vain as the suggested master passwords for 1password accounts and diceware passwords. Four random words are relatively easier to remember and still highly secure.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed, it's a bit of a chicken-and-egg problem: if you do that, you'll need the password to sign into the computer before you can get into 1Password to access the password. You can store your password in 1Password and access it on another device in case you forget it, but please don't lock the keys to the safe inside the safe!

• cbogsin
    cbogsin
    Community Member
    Options

That's very helpful - I like the idea of using a passphrase for Google for this purpose. I was kind of hoping you had some magical integration with ChromeOS in the works to solve this problem, but this workaround will do. Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@cbogsin: Totally! That's definitely something 1Password can help with: even if it isn't implemented in the new Chrome extension yet, word-based passwords are perfect for situations where you need to be able to remember and/or type a password. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.