1password 6 for mac won't unlock for new password

Options
x_su3gor_V2hZbg_t
x_su3gor_V2hZbg_t
Community Member

I recently changed my password for 1password 6.8.2 for Mac 10.12.6. However, it won't unlock using the new password. It does unlock using the old password.

I tired to change the password again thinking I may have made an error when changing the password. I got an error message stating the old password was incorrect. I entered the password that I changed it to for the old password and it was accepted.

It seems like the old and new passwords are out of sync.

1Password Version: 6.8.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: Subscription
Referrer: forum-search:1password 6 for mac won't unlock for new password

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @x_su3gor_V2hZbg_t! Sorry to hear you've had some trouble with Master Password changes. The actual process of how 1Password syncs changes to your Master Password is more complicated than you might expect. One of our developers actually wrote an entire blog post on the subject a while back, to explain it to users who were curious.

I'd recommend giving that a read and asking any questions you might be left with after reading it, but in the meantime, are your Master Passwords now as you expect them to be? Or does the problem persist?

• x_su3gor_V2hZbg_t
    x_su3gor_V2hZbg_t
    Community Member
    Options

The problem still persists. I am logging in to 1Password with the old password still.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@x_su3gor_V2hZbg_t OK, thanks for the clarification. I'm not quite sure what might have gone wrong, but I'd like to quit 1Password and the Mini by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu). Restart 1Password and see what happens. Let us know what you discover!

• x_su3gor_V2hZbg_t
    x_su3gor_V2hZbg_t
    Community Member
    Options

I had already tried that. I had also deleted the account in one password. and set it back up again. That didn't help either. I am starting to wonder if I need to "Start Over"

• @x_su3gor_V2hZbg_t: Do you happen to have more than one account signed in via your Mac app or do you have a standalone (Primary) vault in your Mac app in addition to your 1Password account? Depending on what accounts/vaults you have in your app as well as how you changed your Master Password, it's possible that your app may unlock with a different Master Password than the one you use to sign in to your account on 1Password.com. For example, if you have a Primary vault in your app and changed your account Master Password via 1Password.com, your app may still unlock with the Master Password for your Primary vault because that's the vault you added first. What you might need to do to get your app to unlock with the expected Master Password may be different depending on how you currently have it set up and we don't want to take an drastic measures like starting over lest we unknowingly delete data that isn't save in your 1Password account.

• x_su3gor_V2hZbg_t
    x_su3gor_V2hZbg_t
    Community Member
    Options

I don't sync with the older vaults anymore. I only have the personal online vault that is stored in your cloud. I have tried changing the password on line as well as through the app preferences neither worked. I tried changing it through the preferences first.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@x_su3gor_V2hZbg_t: Are you able to sign into your account on 1Password.com in your web browser? If so, do you have all of your data there?

• x_su3gor_V2hZbg_t
    x_su3gor_V2hZbg_t
    Community Member
    Options

I can sign into the 1Password account using the new password. All the data is there. I can also access the account and passwords from Windows, my iPhone, and my iPad using the new password.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@x_su3gor_V2hZbg_t: Great! Thanks for letting me know. Just reset 1Password for Mac and then setup the app with only your account. That way it will have the exact same data and Master Password as your other devices. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.