I have 100's of login / password credentials stored in both chrome and safari browsers?

oconbach
oconbach
Community Member

I have 100's of login / password credentials stored in both Chrome and Safari browsers? These date back to the dawn of browsers providing password suggestion and storage capability. How am I supposed to cleanly, safely and EFFICIENTLY load that information in to 1Pass? From what I can gather there doesn't appear to be a way to use this browser data? (Is this true?)

Additionally browser continues to load stored password data when I visit sites. 1Pass though installed appears to take not action to grab those passwords. (Is this standard practice for 1Pass?) SHould the browser autofill be turned off? If I turn it off do I lose all the passwords the browsers have stored?

Is the basic 1Pass setup premise that the user must visit each site and manually setup a 1Pass password?

I am not seeing a logical path for using 1Pass for a user that already has 100's of passwords stored in browsers and has been using browsers password logic for years? Should I just stay with what I have? Is 1Pass only good for someone who doesn't have a long history with the Web? I can't be the only new user coming in with this issue. Is there a white paper that explains how to set this up in the messy real world we live?

The 1Pass high level concept seems fine but I am struggling with the practical implementation of it for long time web users? Please help if I am missing something.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:browser stored passwords

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@oconbach ,

Safari passwords are stored in the OS X Keychain or iCloud Keychain. These are not accessible by 1Password. Which version of OS X are you using? Passwords can be exported via a command line tool called security and I have a converter that can import this exported data. However, High Sierra has made the tool more cumbersome and today's High Sierra update made it even more so.

A recent version of Chrome has removed the password export feature (which could be enabled by a user). There is an extension to do this, but I haven't tested it in a while now. It exports to CSV and this can be converted to Login entries for 1Password. Which version of Chrome are you using?

• moof
    moof
    Community Member

MrC ,

so should we run the tool and export all the passwords in Keychain and THEN delete them manually from Keychain?

I'm a 1password newb, and have followed the FAQs and turned off all the Auto Saves in both Chrome and Safari.
    Removed all my Chrome saved passwords as they are now in the tool, Safari hasn't got any in its preference and so following your advice I can see hundreds in Keychain

TIA

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@moof,

Its up to you as to whether or not you want to leave any Safari passwords in Keychain. It can be convenient in some cases, esp. with iCloud syncing, but I personally don't really find a need for it. I like doing things one way consistently whenever possible.

Hopefully you can get your data exported from Keychain, and then converted.

This discussion has been closed.