To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Existing 1pw user moving from Mac to PC

Options
Paul Hawkins
Paul Hawkins
Community Member

Hi, A long time ago I purchased 1password, which I think is brilliant and have been using for many years now. At the time, I only used it on a Mac and then purchased the app version too, so as to use on my ios devices.
This week I purchased a PC and so, would like to be able to use 1pw on my PC, as well as my Mac & ios devices. Can you advice if the licence I purchased way back when allows this or what I need to buy to make it work on a PC too? I am not sure if you need further details from me to establish this?
Many thanks,
Paul

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• Hi @Paul Hawkins - Great question and I'll be happy to assist. Your standalone license is only compatible with a Mac. In order to use 1Password on a PC, the only option at the moment, will be signing up for a 1Password Membership. 1Password 6 for Windows is only compatible with a 1Password Membership. We're working to add standalone vault support in the next version.

With a 1Password membership all of our apps (Windows, Mac, Pro features for iOS & Android) are included even future paid upgrades since it's built into the monthly pricing. You can also access your 1Password data from any device via the web. There is no sync set up required since we take care of all the syncing on our end. It’s more secure, your data is fully encrypted using a randomized unique Secret Key in conjunction with your Master Password (only you know the keys to decrypt your data). This also includes data recovery, you just have to sign into 1Password using your login credentials and your data will already be there waiting for you. You can migrate your existing 1Password data over to your new account. We include a 30 day free trial giving you a chance to test drive all the new features before having to associate a credit card to the account.

I hope this information helped and let us know if you have any additional questions. We'll be here to help. :smile:

• Paul Hawkins
    Paul Hawkins
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Frank,
    Thanks for answering my question fully. I understand what you say, but I can't help but feel frustrated as I have bought 1Password for Mac and also bought 1Password for my ioS devices as standalone software and that is what I want to do now. Otherwise, you are effectively wanting me to purchase it all over again.

What I would like to do is buy a standalone version for my PC. I don't need the more secure version as the dropbox version I have works just fine. I have been a happy customer for many years now, but can't help but feel this change is going to force me to look for an alternative. I simply don't want to have to pay a monthly fee for this kind of program when I have already bought two pieces of software outright.

As an employee of 1Password I hope you relate this feedback to your bosses as it is not in your long term interests to drive away customers who don't want to 'fit in' with your new business model. I totally agree with the profit motive but I don't think this business model works for this kind of software given the undoubted level of competition out there. Under this new model despite having bought two outright versions you want me to pay $47.88 or $478.80 over ten years. That is simply too expensive for this software.

Can you recommend any alternatives to 1Password if you are not willing to sell me a licence for my PC?
    Many thanks.
    Paul

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2017
    Options

@Paul Hawkins

What I would like to do is buy a standalone version for my PC.

In that case, what we recommend is that you wait (assuming that's an option for you) for the upcoming 1Password 7. We've already committed publicly to standalone licenses for both Mac and PC, as well as local vaults and existing sync methods like Dropbox, for 1Password 7.

If you absolutely can't wait, you can still download the existing 1Password 4 for Windows, which is receiving only critical security and compatibility updates at this point but which also still functions on all versions of Windows from 7-10, and use that temporarily.

I simply don't want to have to pay a monthly fee for this kind of program when I have already bought two pieces of software outright.

And that's fine. It's just that the combination of circumstances -- you not purchasing a Windows or bundle license previously, the fact that we've got a split in our current versions (version 4 for local data, version 6 for accounts) and are no longer selling license for the legacy version 4, and you having purchased a PC now, after years of Apple-only use -- all add up to a temporary inability to immediately pursue the path you'd like to regarding purchasing and using 1Password. While we're sorry that particular combination of circumstances has inconvenienced you, there's not a lot we can do to remedy the situation right away beyond what we're already doing: working as hard as we can to get 1Password 7 ready on all platforms.

But I do want make sure to point out that those are two separate (though related) issues: if you just prefer to purchase standalone licenses, that's a matter of personal preference and it's why we continue to offer multiple ways to purchase and use 1Password. We want our customers to be happy and we don't want to "fence them in." But if your reason for wanting to continue in this manner is because you "have already bought two pieces of software outright," that's a separate issue.

Although every 1Password license ever purchased is nominally "perpetual" (to use the industry-standard term for it), no license ever sold by us includes free upgrades forever. Each license you've purchased will work to license the version of 1Password for which you bought it, forever -- but in the same way that very few people are using an iPhone 4 any longer, so are fewer and fewer people using 1Password 3 for Mac. So while a license purchased in 2011 for 1Password 3 for Mac is still valid to license version 3 today on any Mac that can still run it, most people have upgraded both their hardware and version of macOS to the point that version 3 will no longer run reliably.

It's not now nor has it ever been the case that you can purchase 1Password once and never have to do so again while receiving all upgrades. So, whether you choose to regularly purchase upgrades to standalone licenses or to subscribe to a 1password.com account, there will be "ongoing costs over ten years," to use your phrasing. It's not a question of "profit motive," but rather whether the continued work of dozens of people over the course of that ten years to fix, support, upgrade and improve 1Password has value. We think it does, and those same dozens of people's incomes over that ten years depends on customers agreeing that it does. If you're one of the users who do agree that the work done in a ten year period should be recognized with monetary compensation, then we look forward to you having the choice of whether you'd like to do that via purchasing as many standalone licenses for various platforms as you need (as son as 1Password 7 is available), or by subscribing to a 1password.com account.

But if you're of the opinion that 1Password's value does not match its cost, there are indeed - as you note - plenty of alternatives, some even free. We'll be happy if you continue to practice safe password management even if you ultimately decide a different tool suits you better. Good luck with whatever you decide, and let us know if there's any further assistance we can offer or questions we can answer. Have a great week! :)

• Paul Hawkins
    Paul Hawkins
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Lars. When is 1PW7 scheduled?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Paul Hawkins - the short answer to that is: it isn't. Not that it isn't being actively worked on, just that it isn't scheduled. I'd love to be able to tell you and everyone else when we plan to release 1Password 7, but the truth is that we've never published release schedules because so many factors - some beyond our control - go into when a new version or even a maintenance update is truly ready. We prefer to release software when it's ready, rather than to hit an artificial deadline, and we've learned it's better to keep it somewhat indefinite then to promise a date-certain and wind up disappointing users and press by missing it.

1Password 7 will be a major update across all platforms, so it would be even more difficult to predict a release date with certainty than it might be with a less-sweeping release. That said, it is in active development right now, and while release won't be this month or next month, I'd be surprised if we got to spring without seeing it.

This discussion has been closed.