Code scanner does not work properly when the code is small

ondrejfuhrer
ondrejfuhrer
Community Member

Hello guys,

I was just setting up a 2FA for a service and found out an issue, that the Code scanner was not able to read the QR code, to me it seems that the reason was too small code and two much "noise" around it.

I also have a screenshot, but I don't want to paste it here (even the redacted one :blush: ), let me know where to send it if you need it.

Thanks for investigating.

1Password Version: 6.8.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.13.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @ondrejfuhrer,

Thanks for the offer but I'd recommend trying that again with the scanner coming in the 6.9 release. I ripped out the unreliable old one and replaced it with Apple's implementation.

Rudy

• ondrejfuhrer
    ondrejfuhrer
    Community Member

Thanks @rudy, I'll give it a shot when released and let you know here.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for reporting, @ondrejfuhrer, and keep an eye out for upcoming updates!

• ondrejfuhrer
    ondrejfuhrer
    Community Member

Hello guys,

I just want to update this a little bit. I just tested it in the 1Password 7 Beta for Mac and it still does not work. The "new scanner" that should have come with the version 9, as @rudy wrote, is not part of version 7?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2018

@ondrejfuhrer: Okay, I have to ask, but...how small? I also wonder if it's simply not a valid QR code. Are you able to scan it using 1Password for iOS? Would you perhaps be able to save the image, generate a new one (enabling and disabling TOTP for the site should do this), and give us the original to test with — and a screenshot of it in the context of the page would be fantastic. Version 7 does have the new implementation, which is using Apple's stuff, so I'm interested to explore this edge case you've found. Also, since it's (presumably) on a website, can you just zoom the page to get it big enough to scan?

• ondrejfuhrer
    ondrejfuhrer
    Community Member
    edited April 2018

Hey @brenty, I just updated to version 7.0.BETA-7 and there it seems to work fine (also tried on iOS version, worked fine as well).

I created those screenshots, so if you really want to take a look (and investigate why it didn't work with version 6 and older betas), I can send it to you (not posting on the forum, though) if you tell me where.

Also tried zooming, does not change anything, so it is maybe the code itself that it not supported? No idea right now, I'm just glad that it works with newest beta.

Here is a redacted version, just for an idea how it looked (using version 6 scanner).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ondrejfuhrer: I appreciate it, but a redacted QR code won't be something we can test against...and I've removed the image since you included the actual TOTP secret not redacted. It's weird that you had trouble in the first place, but if it's working for you better now, I think we're good. But if you encounter further issues, then it would be great to get a sample. :)

• ondrejfuhrer
    ondrejfuhrer
    Community Member

@brenty Thanks for the message, I didn't save this TOTP so the secret was kind of useless :chuffed: The only reason why I redacted the QR code was because it contained more information then just the secret that I didn't want to disclose here :smile: (account name, etc.).

I guess that my initial thought, that size is the issue, wasn't right, since zooming should help with that, I guess. That didn't come up my mind then to try, my bad :blush: So my guess would be the code itself, maybe you added some more options there so it started working. That is the best news.

Keep doing the great job you are with 1Password :+1:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the message, I didn't save this TOTP so the secret was kind of useless :chuffed:

@ondrejfuhrer: Ah, that's good to know!

The only reason why I redacted the QR code was because it contained more information then just the secret that I didn't want to disclose here :smile: (account name, etc.).

Doh! I understand completely. I didn't expect that.

I guess that my initial thought, that size is the issue, wasn't right, since zooming should help with that, I guess.

Yeah, I was a bit surprised that didn't help too.

That didn't come up my mind then to try, my bad :blush: So my guess would be the code itself, maybe you added some more options there so it started working. That is the best news.

No worries! We wanted to switch to Apple's implementation anyway for consistency, so having it work better for you as well is an additional benefit. :)

Keep doing the great job you are with 1Password :+1:

Thanks so much for the kind words, and your support! That's what motivates us. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.