Deleting invitation has wiped user's vault?

Options
coderigo
coderigo
Community Member

This is an abridged version of a support email I sent yesterday (ticket ID #BEL-81162-368) but still waiting for reply so posting here hoping to get a quicker response. Here's the problem in bullet points:

• I deleted a stale invitation to my 1Password family account (sent to my mother in law)
  • The invitation is gone but seemingly so is her vault, which unbeknownst to me she had been using.
  • I'm in the poo because she has lost her vault and I don't know how to recover it, hoping 1Password team can help in case somehow there is a way either on your end or our end.

Any help much appreciated

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• bundtkate
    edited October 2017
    Options

@coderigo: I'm a bit perplexed as to how she was using her vault having not accepted her invitation. Had you sent her multiple invitations and she accepted a later one? Getting a better handle on the complete timeline worked here would be helpful in determining what needs to be done here. Thanks! :chuffed:

ref: BEL-81162-368

• coderigo
    coderigo
    Community Member
    Options

@bundtkate: Thanks for the response. I'm perplexed too :chuffed: I had only sent her a single invitation. To your point here's a timeline of events, hopefully this makes things clearer.

1. [a few months ago, say, July] I sent her an invitation to join my family account. I have no record in my emails of her accepting that invite as I do for other members accepting the invite (e.g. my wife).
    2. [5 October] I log into myfamilyname.1password.com to invite my brother and notice my mother in law's invitation was sitting there unaccepted. To tidy things up, I deleted it.
    3. [6 October] My mother in law opens her phone while out travelling and tries to use 1password and is greeted with "Vault Removed - The vault Private has been removed from account FamilyName". Followed by another message "All vaults have been removed from your device. - 1Password will quit now. Upon starting again, 1Password will offer to be setup again.". Then she's sent to the home on-boarding screen for 1Password. I've got some screenshots of this taken from her phone but best shared over email given they show some of her account info in the background - is there an email address I can send them to?
    4. [7 October] I log into myfamilyname.1Password.com to see what's happened and I can see no trace of my mother in law's invitation or account but can't figure out what's happened. Thinking perhaps I accidentally deleted her private vault but not sure how I could've done that given she didn't accept an invitation.
    5. [8 October - now] Trying to figure things out and a way to recover her private vault.

I notice that the email that is sent when an invitation is accepted with a subject "Some Person accepted your invitation to Family Name on 1Password" says at the bottom "New members of your family can sign in to 1Password from their own devices and start adding their own items right away. But they won’t be able to access any shared vaults until you’ve confirmed their membership." This would suggest that even if I had wiped her invitation and she'd set up her own account without accepting my invitation she should've lost access to shared vaults only, not her own private vault which she'd control herself, right?

Many thanks for the help.

• @coderigo: Thanks for the very detailed explanation! Were I to hazard a guess, I'd think that what might have happened is that she did accept your invitation but, absent any e-mail notifying you of this, you never confirmed her her membership leaving her in a sort of limbo. That said, when I invited myself to my family account using my other e-mail address, I saw that Me #2 was pending confirmation on the invitations page rather than seeing this as an unaccepted invitation, even without going through the e-mail notifying me of a confirmation being needed. If your mother-in-law did, indeed, manage to create her account and start adding items to her Private vault without 1Password.com realizing she accepted her invitation and telling you to confirm her (whether via e-mail or otherwise), something definitely seems to have gone wrong here and I do think it's a good idea to track that down.

As such, I would like to move this to e-mail as we can't talk about any details of your account without first confirming you have access to the registered e-mail address. Could you send an e-mail to support+forum@agilebits.com from your registered e-mail address and reference this thread in the body of the e-mail so that we can connect the dots? I believe you about your mother-in-law's device, but if you're able to redact the screenshots so that they do not contain any information about her account (we don't need or want to know this stuff), do feel free to include them with your e-mail. You should receive a support ID from our BitBot assistant as well and, if you drop it here, that will help us hunt down your e-mail and make sure we get to it quickly. Thanks! :chuffed:

• coderigo
    coderigo
    Community Member
    Options

@bundkate: Have followed up as suggested via email. The ID is: XQZ-36527-412

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@coderigo: Thanks! I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there. We'll get back to you shortly!

ref: XQZ-36527-412

This discussion has been closed.