syncing and Families

Options
louis_blenkner
louis_blenkner
Community Member

Forgive this very basic question. I was an early adopter of 1Password. I have since upgraded to Families. I'm assuming the "Families" service has its own syncing, right? I don't need my iCloud sync anymore? Somehow I think I am using both--the Families service and iCloud sync. Is this even possible?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• louis_blenkner
    louis_blenkner
    Community Member
    Options

I just noticed OzPete's post from October 1. I think my problems are similar. I will study that one a bit.

• @louis_blenkner: You're correct that you no longer need iCloud, but if you potentially haven't migrated 100% of your 1Password data to your Family account or you haven't removed your Primary vault from your 1Password apps, you absolutely could be using both. Feel free to review that prior thread, but if you have additional questions, ask away. :chuffed:

• louis_blenkner
    louis_blenkner
    Community Member
    Options

I definitely need some help. Here's what I know:
    ...I was a pretty early user of 1Password -- thanks to the MacPower Users podcast.
    ...I was also a pretty early user of syncing options--through I cloud and maybe dropbox before that. I don't recall for sure on the dropbox part.
    ...I have never gotten "Families" to work, which means I'm losing credibility with my family. :(
    ...I have 1Password on at least 4 devices--all mine.
    ...I seem to have an old password and a new password. Which one I use depends on the device.
    ...Old MacBook Air: New masterPW required. Some duplicates.
    ...New MacBook Pro: New masterPW required. Some duplicates.
    ...iPhone: Old masterPW required. Seems to have some duplicates and some old PWs. Settings say I'm syncing in iCloud for my primary vault. [What in the world have I done?]
    ...iPad: Old masterPW required. No duplicates (like iPhone). Is set to sync with iCloud.

Any help appreciated. I'd really like to get this up and running properly. The app is wonderful.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I definitely need some help. Here's what I know:
    ...I was a pretty early user of 1Password -- thanks to the MacPower Users podcast.

@louis_blenkner: First of all, thanks for your support! That's really cool to hear. :chuffed:

...I was also a pretty early user of syncing options--through I cloud and maybe dropbox before that. I don't recall for sure on the dropbox part.
    ...I have never gotten "Families" to work, which means I'm losing credibility with my family. :(

I'm sorry that in this case perhaps it's a bit of an Achilles Heel that you're such a long-time 1Password user, since it can be difficult to go from doing things a different way after so long. :(

...I have 1Password on at least 4 devices--all mine.
    ...I seem to have an old password and a new password. Which one I use depends on the device.
    ...Old MacBook Air: New masterPW required. Some duplicates.
    ...New MacBook Pro: New masterPW required. Some duplicates.
    ...iPhone: Old masterPW required. Seems to have some duplicates and some old PWs. Settings say I'm syncing in iCloud for my primary vault. [What in the world have I done?]
    ...iPad: Old masterPW required. No duplicates (like iPhone). Is set to sync with iCloud.

This is really good information! It sounds like the confusion stems from having things setup differently in different places. For example, a local vault you're syncing with iCloud will not be associated with a 1Password.com account, and it sounds like you've set different Master Passwords for these. The Master Password of first vault/account you setup in the app will be the one you use to unlock it. Does that help? There's no penalty for trying different Master Passwords you may have used.

Do you have a vault on a particular device which has all of your 1Password data? If so, we can go through making sure that is in your 1Password.com account, and then setup all of your other devices to use only that as well.

Any help appreciated. I'd really like to get this up and running properly. The app is wonderful.

Absolutely! We can help you get everything sorted out. Looking forward to getting more details. :)

• louis_blenkner
    louis_blenkner
    Community Member
    Options

...I'm pretty sure that my family vault has most (if not all) of what I need.

...My wife has passwords locally on her early version 1Password. I don't think she is connected to families yet, but I need to be sure. M

...I think my strategy is to get my stuff sorted out and on families. And then, perhaps, delete my wife's and start her over with a family account -- with a personal vault and a shared vault.

...For the unaccustomed (e.g., my wife who is plenty smart but not intrigued by this stuff) even the personal vs. shared gets a little confusing, so I want to move very slowly.

Thanks.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@louis_blenkner - I'm new to this thread, so forgive me if I missed something, but from your most-recent response here, it sounds like you're OK to move forward on your own? If that's not the case, would you mind elaborating on what you still think you need assistance wtih?

One thing I should mention to you is the great resource of our support documentation. It's both in-depth and also broad-based. You can find how-tos and instructions for many things you might need to do or be wondering about. In particular, I'd like to point you to this page on moving data between vaults. That one can be especially helpful if you need to transition over a lot of data, like after a move from local vaults to a 1password.com account. Please don't hesitate to let us know if you need assistance with anything else, and again -- thanks for being a long-time user of 1Password!

• louis_blenkner
    louis_blenkner
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Lars. I will definitely take a look. I'm also hoping I will still get some advice untangling from my legacy iCloud stuff.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@louis_blenkner -- feel free to ask any questions you might have. iCloud overall is out of our area of expertise, but we're of course here for you if you have specific questions about 1Password and iCloud. Enjoy the rest of your week! :)

This discussion has been closed.