To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Nomenclature of "accounts", family, and team and your discussion of syncing is confusing

Options
jbanchy
jbanchy
Community Member

I want to buy a password manager that will work for myself and my wife. Between us we have MACs, iPhones, iPads, and Windows Machines. We need to be able to sync some passwords between us across all devices. I think that your family plan will do this. True? There appears to be a lot of videos on "Teams" but very little on your "Family" plan. Does everything that applies to teams applies to families? You are confusing. If I sign up for the family plan I need create an account. Do I need to create a separate account for her? You are confusing. If we sync through your service, I assume that if we change passwords on any machine that we have, your product will update the passwords on all the other machines... i.e. there is no notion of a master. I don't see that clearly stated anywhere, but that would be my guess. True? You separate your conversion on syncing into several places. Put it all together and be clear. Have a video on your own sync option. I don't see one. I have an old one-time purchase of your product which I played with. The product was not that hard to use but figuring out what to buy that will make things very very very easy for my wife is hard.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

HI there @jbanchy :)
    Welcome to the forum and sorry for the confusion. Let me see if I can answer some of your questions as a fellow 1Password user.

We need to be able to sync some passwords between us across all devices. I think that your family plan will do this. True?

Yes, the Family plan will give you access to 1Password on all your devices and will sync your data seamlessly across them all. Using the Shared Vault you will be able to share passwords between you that you want shared.

Does everything that applies to teams applies to families?

For the most part. Teams is built for use by businesses, so there are a couple of things that it has that aren't really relevant or useful for personal use in the Families plan. But all the important things like account recovery, ease of sharing and other such are there.

If I sign up for the family plan I need create an account. Do I need to create a separate account for her?

Yes, but not the same way you did. Once you open the Families account and log in, there will be a tab on the sidebar called "Invitations". You use that to invite your wife to your Family. That way gets her own account with her own master password and her own Personal vault, but it is all under the one Families subscription so you only pay once.

If we sync through your service, I assume that if we change passwords on any machine that we have, your product will update the passwords on all the other machines... i.e. there is no notion of a master.

Yep, there is no "master device". Any changes made on any device will sync to all the others.

You separate your conversion on syncing into several places.

Most of the other entries on syncing, such as doing it through iCloud or Dropbox, are for people who prefer not to use the subscription accounts and need to set up and maintain syncing their data manually. There isn't much explanation needed for the subscription account syncing because there is nothing to set up. You add the account to your device and that's it. All your passwords and other information is just there, no further setup or maintenance required.

Hopefully that answers your questions. If I missed anything, let me know. :)

• Hi @jbanchy - It's great to hear you're giving 1Password Families a test drive. I'm sorry for the troubles getting up and running.

With a 1Password Families account you have the ability to invite up to 5 family members per subscription. Each family member has access all of our apps (Windows, Mac, Android and iOS). You can even view your 1Password data via the web from any device. There is no sync set up required since we take care of all the syncing on our end. Each family member by default receives a Private & Shared vault. Private vaults can only be accessed by that member, not by you or anyone else. All members also get access to a Shared vault, and you can create additional vaults to share with specific members and manage things a bit more.

I hope the information Corey and I added helped clear up some of the confusion. Please feel free to reach out to us with any additional questions. We're here for you if you need us. :smile:

• jbanchy
    jbanchy
    Community Member
    Options

I appreciate the feedback. Your responsiveness is a real positive. I went to buy the product today (but I then decided to wait to until my wife came home so we name our "family" appropriately). I was puzzled that I could not buy it. Your site lets me "try it" but I did not see a way to just buy it and get that purchased finished. How do I do that? I have a standalone version. Should I delete that version before I "try it"? Is it the same code, just a different license? Do I need to delete all my browser plug-ins? How do I proceed where I don't end up having problems? I just want to install it and get going. By the way, my wife has hundreds of entries in eWallet. It appears you have a way to import that data. Thank you. That was going to be an issue for me.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I appreciate the feedback. Your responsiveness is a real positive. I went to buy the product today (but I then decided to wait to until my wife came home so we name our "family" appropriately).

@jbanchy: Haha good call! It can certainly be an important decision. I'm pretty particular myself. ;)

I was puzzled that I could not buy it. Your site lets me "try it" but I did not see a way to just buy it and get that purchased finished. How do I do that?

Everyone gets a trial, so, even though it sounds like you're ready to subscribe, you'll get to use it for free first. You just need to sign up and get started. You can setup billing at any time, but you won't be charged until the trial period is up.

I have a standalone version. Should I delete that version before I "try it"? Is it the same code, just a different license? Do I need to delete all my browser plug-ins?

No, yes, no: the app and browser extensions are the same, but since everything else is handled through your account (billing, sync, sharing, etc.) there's nothing else you need to do.

How do I proceed where I don't end up having problems? I just want to install it and get going.

Yep! Just follow this guide yourself:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

That will walk you through signing up, setting up, and migrating your data. And then this guide will take you through setting things up for your family:

Share 1Password with your family

By the way, my wife has hundreds of entries in eWallet. It appears you have a way to import that data. Thank you. That was going to be an issue for me.

I'm not familiar with that and it isn't something we support ourselves, but @MrC 's converter can be a big help with regard to getting the exported data into a usable format for import into 1Password.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@jbanchy,

The ewallet converter was the first converter I originally created (my mom had used eWallet a long time ago). It is part of the converter suite and will help you get your wife's data into 1Password.

• MrC to the rescue, as usual. :)

Rick

This discussion has been closed.