Windows is denying access to 1Password.exe - 1Password 4 on Surface Book, Win 10

Options

Since changing machines at work I've been unable to properly install and run 1Password 4 for windows. Although it appears to install fully, windows refuses to run it, giving the error:
Unable to execute file; C:\Apps\1Password 4\1Password.exe
Createprocess failed; code 5
Access is denied

or:
Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

I have tried elevating the permissions of the .exe and the entire folder to full access, and have tried 'run as administrator' with no success. I had no problem running 1Password 4 on my previous work supplied desktop which, to my knowledge, used all the same antivirus (Sophos) and security settings.

Curiously, the Chrome extension still works with the vault, which is synced through Dropbox - so i guess the helper is running?

1Password Version: 4.6.2.626 (24)
Extension Version: 4.6.11.91 (Goggle Chrome)
OS Version: win10
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ifni: Thanks for reaching out! That's really odd. My Surface isn't as cool as that one, but I haven't encountered similar issues there...and I know our Windows developer has a Surface Book as well. So I wonder if there's something different about your setup than ours. Certainly we're not using Sophos. We've encountered similar issues with files being locked in cases like that across different versions of 1Password, so it may be worth setting an exception for 1Password at the very least, or disabling it temporarily to restore normal system operation. Typically this was done for the browser extension, but if it's preventing 1Password from even being installer or run (perhaps access to the Temp folder is being denied) it won't be possible to use it. Let me know what you find!

• ifni
    ifni
    Community Member
    Options

Will do - thanks for the info :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sure thing! Look forward to hearing back from you. :chuffed:

• ifni
    ifni
    Community Member
    Options

So it turns out the Sophos was set to block 1Password - though whether by default or not, I don't know. The reason we had trouble picking it up was because my particular installation of Sophos was damaged and wouldn't update to reflect the new policy unblocking it.

Thanks for the help :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Ahh that is tricky! I'm glad you were able to figure that out. Thanks so much for the update! :)

This discussion has been closed.