Why can't I open my 1password safe on OSX without rebooting sometimes?

Options
phenetrik
phenetrik
Community Member

Every once in a while I can't open my 1password safe on OSX (10.12.6). I'm entering my password correctly and it just won't accept it. Restarting 1password or killing the service doesn't help.

I'm forced to reboot my MBP and then it starts working again.

Any ideas?

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.8.2 (682003) AgileBits Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.12.6
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:can't open safe on OSX. have to reboot

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2017
    Options

Hi @phenetrik -- no ideas off the top of my head, based on what you've described. 1Password is encryption-based; it either works or it doesn't, based on whether you input the correct Master Password. No matter what Master Password you enter, a decryption key is generated...it just won't actually unlock/decrypt your data, if you typed the Master Password wrong.

I know you probably haven't forgotten your Master Password, but there some tips here worth checking out, regarding things like caps lock, etc. Give those a try and if none of that helps and the behavior persists, let us know.

• ratbeard
    ratbeard
    Community Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

I just had the same thing happen to me. I tried unlocking using the chrome browser extension and then the main 1password 6 app, and it was telling my master password was wrong. I tried typing it out and copy/pasting into the password field so I was able to verify it was correct. After restarting, it worked.

Was pretty scary. Thing I'm going to print out an export..

Sync Type: iCloud
    OSX 10.12.6
    Version 6.8.2 (682003)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ratbeard: You may just need to restart Chrome. If an update is pending, it can hang things up and there's nothing extensions can do about that. Just to confirm, which version of the 1Password extension do you have installed in Chrome? It's possible that is/was simply outdated.

• ratbeard
    ratbeard
    Community Member
    Options

1password chrome extension: 4.6.11.91

I've seen it happen many times where chrome has an update and 1password mini can no longer fill in fields in the browser and it shows an 'Install the 1password extension' it the top of it, until you restart chrome.

This was something different, where it wouldn't unlock and said my master password was incorrect. As I said, I tried logging in through the main 1password app itself and got the same message. Could a browser extension being out of date prevent you from unlocking your vault in the main app?

• ratbeard
    ratbeard
    Community Member
    Options

Wish I'd checked Console for any error messages :|

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ratbeard -- no, an outdated extension wouldn't tell you your Master Password was incorrect; only an incorrect Master Password will do that. What do you mean about console messages? If you'd rather not post it here, we can take this to email if you prefer -- just let us know.

• ratbeard
    ratbeard
    Community Member
    Options

Oh, just that I should have checked the Console app in osx to see if it was logging any errors when the strange behavior was occurring.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ratbeard - I can't say for certain what might've happened to you, but the best thing for troubleshooting would be for you to wait and see if it happens again, then immediately create a diagnostics report from your Mac and send it to us Here's how:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/82915/why-cant-i-open-my-1password-safe-on-osx-without-rebooting-sometimes#latest
    • Your forum username: ratbeard

That way we can "connect the dots" when we see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number in the subject line.  Please post that number here so we can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the diagnostics we'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• ratbeard
    ratbeard
    Community Member
    Options

I will be sure to do that if it occurs again. Thanks for your help Lars!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ratbeard -- you're quite welcome. Wish I could be more help, but a diagnostics report is the best tool for this, so definitely let us know if it occurs again. Have a great rest of your week!

• ratbeard
    ratbeard
    Community Member
    Options

Just had the issue happen again, and I sent an email to support w/ the diagnostic report.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ratbeard - sorry to hear that, but thanks for doing the additional legwork to get us a diagnostics report. Someone will be with you shortly via email.

ref: JZP-16598-781

• Andrew_AG
    Andrew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi everyone. The issue that you're describing is actually a known issue in the 1Password 6 for Mac app, and our developers are working hard to squash it! We hope to have it solved as soon as possible, although I can't quite give you a definite timeline on it. In the meantime, I apologize for any inconvenience.

This discussion has been closed.