To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Confused longtime user about my account

zuba
zuba
Community Member

Hello, I have been a long time user (not the most up to date user) of 1Password. I received a 1Password license for 1Password 3 a few years ago. Since then I was required to purchase 1Password from the Mac App Store and was told support for 1Password would only come through the Mac App Store. I have been using 1Password on my Mac and iPhone without problems. Recently, I noticed the syncing was not correct and when I went to the AgileBits website for support, I noticed the accounts have changed again. I am confused on whether I have a 1Password Account, or if I need one. I want to access the 1Password website and see my vaulted information, but I don't know how. Can someone help me and set things straight for me? Thank you.

1Password Version: 6.8.2
Extension Version: 4.6.1
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Hi @zuba,

I'm sorry for any confusion caused by the way things have evolved over the years. I'd be happy to help.

When we talk about "accounts" we're talking about our new 1Password.com subscription membership service. I looked, but it does not appear you have such an account. If you haven't been paying a subscription, you do not. It isn't necessary to have one to keep using 1Password, but there are many advantages to having one:

What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

I want to access the 1Password website and see my vaulted information, but I don't know how.

That service is available with membership. It is not possible with a standalone license purchase. If you're interested in upgrading to a membership you can read about how to do that here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

If you'd rather stick with what you've got, and work on the issue you're having syncing via iCloud, you can do that. We have a comprehensive guide on troubleshooting issues with syncing 1Password data with iCloud here:

If you're having trouble syncing with iCloud

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• zuba
    zuba
    Community Member

Hello Ben, thank you for the quick response. Thank you for the great links to further information. I will definitely take a look at the last link about syncing via iCloud.

I read the link about the benefits of a 1Password membership. These are great benefits to having a membership, but I only have concerns for a couple of features. "Sync automatically and securely" and "Get all the updates". Will these be available to those with 1Password licenses?

Thank you.

• williamporter
    williamporter
    Community Member

Like @zuba, I'm also a longtime user, and also a little confused. I think I know what I'm doing but would like confirmation, so I don't find out later I made a mistake. I signed up for 1Password for Families the instant it became available. Before that I'd used 1Password "paleo" for a goodish while. I think I've almost completely managed my migration and would like to finish the job.

When I go into 1Password.app on any of my Macs, in the listing of vaults, I have

• Primary
    • Personal
    • (some custom vaults)
    • Family (my shared vault)

In Preferences, I see that the Primary vault (only) is synced using Dropbox. I see Primary both on my Macbook Air and on my iMac. I do NOT see Primary at all when I go to our family web page.

I'm pretty sure Primary is a relic of 1Password "paleo". My Primary vault has NO items left in it: I've moved everything into the new vaults that I can see in my 1Password subscription account.

So is there any reason at all for me to keep the Primary vault around? And if there isn't, then how do I get rid of it? Is it just a matter of finding the folder that contains it in Dropbox and deleting that folder? I've looked at that folder and I don't understand the files that are in there, so I'm a little nervous about deleting any of them....

Will

• Hi @williamporter,

If the Primary vault has no items left in it, then there's no real reason to keep it around. The best way to get rid of it is to go to Preferences > Advanced, and uncheck the checkbox at the bottom that says "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts". Doing this will kick off the steps to remove the Primary vault that you have.

Rick

• Hi @zuba,

I read the link about the benefits of a 1Password membership. These are great benefits to having a membership, but I only have concerns for a couple of features. "Sync automatically and securely" and "Get all the updates". Will these be available to those with 1Password licenses?

Those with 1Password licenses can still sync with other apps using Dropbox and iCloud. It works, but there's more work involved and it's not as polished an experience as with 1Password memberships where we control every piece of the machine.

As for the updates to the apps... 1Password 7 for Mac and Windows will have support for licenses. With a 1Password membership you'll get those updates for free, whereas without it there may be upgrades to do for licenses.

I hope this answers your questions.

Rick

• williamporter
    williamporter
    Community Member

Okay, thanks Rick! Did that. Primary vault gone.

Will

P.S. Feel I should mention this: I don't think I was asked to confirm what I was doing. Or if I was, I don't think I saw anything reminding me that I was about to LOSE any data that might have been in the Primary vault. In my case, it's not a problem. I had already confirmed that Primary was empty. And maybe 1Password would have displayed a warning about data loss if I'd had any data to lose. Still, it happened real fast and left me a tad worried on behalf of some other possibly unsuspecting user.

• @williamporter : when there's data in the vault it most definitely warns. I use that checkbox just about every day for testing. :)

Rick

This discussion has been closed.