Licensing Issue

Options

Hello there.

I am confused by the licensing issues and how to get this up and running. I will explain my situation.

I heavily use Linux (Ubuntu) as work and home desktop. I travel with my mac and use it as a browsing device at home. Wife and I both have mac and iphones.

Presently I use a wine session with the windows version of 1Password on my Linux stations accessing a vault served by Dropbox. I bought a Windows license for this. I also bought 1Password through the app store for our macs which both my wife and I access the same dropbox vault for daily use. I may have bought another license for the iPhone apps, but not sure.

But I spend the largest amount of my time on Linux, and the wine version allows copy/paste but not all the nice auto-fill and auto-update features of the Chrome extension (we both almost exclusively use Chrome browser). Thus I was eager to try this beta extension.

It is a great product and I don't mind paying for another license for this Linux version beta, but I am left confused by how to get it going. I went through the steps to create a 1Password account just now after downloading the extension, but what I really want is to access my vault on the dropbox directory.

Looking for advice on how to get going with this beta extension. Feel free to criticize how I am using 1Password with a shared account for my wife and I and propose something alternate.

Bill Faust
Santa Monica CA

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2017
    Options

@wpf: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! As Dave mentioned in his post about signing up for the beta, this only works with 1Password.com accounts. It is not possible for a browser extension to load files from disk, such as the local vault you're syncing with Dropbox (and, therefore, not reasonable to sell a license for it, as it cannot function in that environment).

Based on your comments, it sounds like a 1Password Families membership might be a good fit for you. It includes access to all of the apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data — for up to 5 family members at the base price:

1Password.com

In addition to the the ability to securely share data with your loved ones without having to give them access to everything, or tell them your Master Password, and also account recovery, which allows any Organizer to help another family member if they've lost/forgotten some of their account credentials. You can try it for free for 30 days to take advantage of all of its benefits, and if you'll shoot us an email at support@1password.com from your registered address we'll be happy to help you in any way we can with the transition. Cheers! :)

• wpf
    wpf
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the response. I delayed until today changing over from my local vault served by Dropbox because I was worried about the switch and how to import.

Got the 1Password Families as you suggested.

Import of old vault into new location was trivially easy on my mac.

Looking forward to share features of the family account. Very happy to have 1Password beta on my Chrome/Ubuntu.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're totally welcome! Sounds good! Be sure to let us know if you have any questions at all. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.