Android without Play Store ( Hidden by phone)

Options
wkleem
wkleem
Community Member
edited October 2017 in Android

My Sony phone has a feature called Ultra Stamina Mode which reduces the phone to the bare minimum required to function. I have wiped the phone but without Play Store how do I install 1Password? Battery life is said to be much better. Basically puts it in Off Line mode.

Might be a 'security mode' which hides everything?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem: We only distribute 1Password for Android through the Google Play store, so you will need that to install it (and, frankly, to use many of its features). I guess some folks have found it elsewhere, but this is neither supported nor should be trusted, as it could be modified to include malware.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Hi

I suppose side loading isn't advisable? I may one day try a custom ROM which as whole doesn't support Play Store.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem: It's not something we'd ever recommend, no. The Google Play store ensures you have a binary that's signed and comes direct from us through Google. I'd never want to side load something as critical to my security as 1Password. Better safe than sorry.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. There are ways of getting the official Google Play Store to work on AOSP devices. I'll find out when I get to that point.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I believe so as well, but last I checked it varies wildly by device. Definitely worth looking into though.

This discussion has been closed.