To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Update "Vault for Saving" after migrating to Account.com?

Options
SVanDee
SVanDee
Community Member

I signed up for an AgileBits Account a few days ago. I copied All Items from my Primary account to the new Personal account but I didn't think to update Preferences -> Accounts -> Vault for Saving so changes I've made since then went into my Primary account. I sorted All Items in the Primary and Personal accounts by Date Modified and copied the items modified more recently in the Primary account to the Personal account. I hope it's up to date and none of the Items are duplicated. Do I need to change the Vault for Saving on all my devices manually or will the Account tell them all to switch?

I wish the "Move Your Data" section on the https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/ page talked about updating the Vault for Saving. I hadn't seen it before and didn't realize the user could specify which vault changes went into.

It might also remind people to delete the Agile keychain on DropBox or iCloud or whatever they're using to sync in order to reclaim the cache space on all their devices.

1Password Version: 6.8.2
Extension Version: 4.6.11
OS Version: OSX 10.13, IOS 11.0.3
Sync Type: Dropbox/Agilebits
Referrer: forum-search:Forgot to change Vault for Saving to Personal. How resync with Primary?

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @SVanDee -- the answer to your question is yes, you should definitely update your vault for saving preference, assuming you're using your shiny new Personal account for all your 1Password needs at this point. However, that leads me to another issue, namely: why do you still have the Primary vault, if you've switched over to a 1Password account? If you're not planning to use your Primary vault for anything, you can delete it with the following steps:
    1. Make sure it's empty and no necessary data remains in it, by transferring anything still needed over to the Personal vault of your 1Password account.
    2. Choose 1Password menu > Switch to Vault > Primary.
    3. Choose 1Password menu > Delete Vault.

That should leave you with just your 1Password account vault(s). Note: it will also require you to use whatever Master Password you chose for your 1Password account to unlock 1Password for Mac, instead of the Master Password for your old Primary vault, because the Primary vault will no longer exist. Thanks for the suggestions, and let us know if you run into any further problems/issues.

• SVanDee
    SVanDee
    Community Member
    Options

I was waiting until I was more comfortable with the cloud account. However, I did decide to go ahead and delete the Primary account to avoid more confusion in the future. That's when I discovered you can't delete it so long as you still have other, local vaults. So I need to read up on multiple vaults in the cloud and decide what to do with them.

• SVanDee
    SVanDee
    Community Member
    Options

Got it. Turned out to be easy, much to my surprise, to move the other vaults to the Account too and then delete all the local vaults so all is well now. Thanks for your help.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

After you create the same vaults in your 1Password account, you can move the items from the existing vaults into the ones you just created in your 1Password account.

Then you can delete the old vaults along with your Primary vault to complete the migration. :)

If you have any other questions or concerns, don't hesitate to let us know.

This discussion has been closed.