Where Are The 1Password Passwords and App- Created Backups Stored On My Mac?

Options
MrMojoOne
MrMojoOne
Community Member

I would like to know the locations for both the Apple App Store and direct-purchase 1Password versions.

I want to know where the passwords and any app-created backups are stored on my Mac so I can be certain that they are included in my local and Cloud backups. I recently switched to booting from an external SSD and I want to make sure that 1Password is operating from that drive.

I also previously used 1Password purchased directly from AgileBits (a family license) and I think that I have old passwords/Agile keychains that are still on my computer. I would like to clean things up and get rid of data remaining from the old installation.

1Password Version: 6.8.2
Extension Version: 4.6.11
OS Version: OS 10.10.5
Sync Type: N/A

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MrMojoOne :)
    The backup files that 1Password creates for standalone vaults exist in one of two locations:

From the AgileBits Store:
    ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups/

From the Mac App Store:
    ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Backups/

The files look something like 1Password2 2017-10-12 021334 (45 items).agilekeychain_zip and are all dated. 1Password should detect them automatically so you shouldn't have to load them from the directories yourself unless something is wrong with your startup disk, but making sure they are included in backups is a good idea.

Cheers. :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@MrMojoOne - Nothing to add to @Corey_C's excellent advice, except to say that most backup programs will back up the user folder, which of course contains the Library folder, which is where both the Mac App Store and our own version of 1Password store your data.

That doesn't say anything about any Agile Keychains or OPVaults which may or may not be anywhere at all on your Mac. Agile Keychain and OPVault are sync keychain formats, so if you don't sync your data using either Dropbox or folder sync, you won't necessarily have any of those. iCloud uses its own sync and does not generate user-accessible Agile Keychains or OPVaults. But if you did create such sync keychains, they could be anywhere on your Mac, depending on how you configured things when you set that up. I'd advise you do a Spotlight search for anything with an .agilekeychain or .opvault file format; that should show you everything you may have and allow you to either restore/recover these old keychains, or delete them as part of your cleanup process. Good luck, and happy "house"cleaning! :)

• MrMojoOne
    MrMojoOne
    Community Member
    Options

OK, I located backup files in both of the locations that Corey listed. All of the files are from 2012. That's probably when I switched to the App Store program. . .

In the past I have synced using Dropbox and iCloud. I switched to iCloud but recently the iCloud syncing failed for some reason. I deleted the iCloud files when I tried to fix the problem. I haven't resynced the files because I rarely use 1Password on my iOS devices. I may go back to S+Dropbox after my experience with iCloud.

I used 1Password to locate my current passwords and a backup file. They are in my Documents folder on the old Mac internal drive, not the external SSD boot drive. For some reason they did not transfer when I created the new boot drive. Can I simply move them to the SSD drive or must I do it in such a way that 1Password will know where they are?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@MrMojoOne - 1Password stores backups in the locations @Corey_C specified. If you're making backups on your own of your hard drive, you can store those anywhere you like, of course.

But I'm not completely clear on what the status of 1Password for Mac is right now on your Mac -- do you have 1Password installed, and if so, from us or from the Mac App Store? Is the data in your vault(s) current? Are you syncing, and if so by what method?

1Password's data files are always in the same location; they reside in the same locations Corey gave you (inside your the Library folder in your user folder on your Mac, only with /Data/ instead of /Backups/ at the end of the file-path). These should not be moved, or 1Password will not work, as the file paths are hard-coded in 1Password. I'm not quite sure what you mean by "they are in my Documents folder on the old Mac internal drive," unless you meant you are not currently using 1Password on your Mac yet.

It would be helpful if you could let us know what you're ultimately trying to accomplish here -- your initial post talked about wanting to make sure backups made by 1Password were included in your own backup scheme, and getting rid of old sync keychains. I don't want you to start moving things around that will affect your ability to use 1Password in the present.

• MrMojoOne
    MrMojoOne
    Community Member
    Options
    1. 1Password is installed. It is from the Mac App Store.
    2. I believe that the data in my faults is current, as I can save and access the data.
    3. I am not currently syncing 1Password after I had a problem with iCloud syncing awhile back.
    4. Using the "Find Backup" button in 1Password Preferences, I see that the Passwords and Passwords.bkup files are located at Mac Mini/Internal Drive/Users/myname/Documents/Passwords/Startup Items.

My situation: Some months back I switched the Mac Mini boot drive to an external SSD. For some reason, the 1Password data files did not make the move to the new boot drive (named Macintosh HD). Instead, they remained on the Mac Mini's previous boot drive (renamed Internal Drive). I had followed instructions to move the Internal Drive contents to the external SSD and named it Macintosh HD as part of the process.

What I Hope To Accomplish: It seems to me that the 1Password data files should be on my current boot drive, not the old boot drive. Perhaps you can tell me why they did not copy to the new boot drive and how I can transfer them now. (I assume that the 1Password files needed to be handled in a different manner for the transfer to have succeeded. I notice that you have steps for moving 1Password to a new computer. Perhaps not following those steps is why the data files remained behind.) Then I would like to cleanup the old 1Password files remaining from the software I bought from you.

That's it. Please let me know if I can provide any other info.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2017
    Options

I see that the Passwords and Passwords.bkup files are located at Mac Mini/Internal Drive/Users/myname/Documents/Passwords/Startup Items.

@MrMojoOne: I don't know what this is. Are these folder and filenames you created yourself?

What I Hope To Accomplish: It seems to me that the 1Password data files should be on my current boot drive, not the old boot drive. Perhaps you can tell me why they did not copy to the new boot drive and how I can transfer them now.

Certainly macOS is designed to have apps and their data on the boot drive; but I'm sorry, there is just no way we can tell you why you or whatever software you used to copy data from one drive to the other missed some stuff. It's not possible for us to know that. :(

(I assume that the 1Password files needed to be handled in a different manner for the transfer to have succeeded. I notice that you have steps for moving 1Password to a new computer. Perhaps not following those steps is why the data files remained behind.)

It isn't necessary, but certainly copying over the specific data you want explicitly is the only way to be sure.

Then I would like to cleanup the old 1Password files remaining from the software I bought from you. That's it. Please let me know if I can provide any other info.

This guide will tell you where anything related to 1Password belongs, much of which Corey_C mentioned earlier:

How to uninstall 1Password

The problem is that if you or something else have moved, renamed, and/or deleted things, we don't know where they'll be in order to help you find them. You'll be in a better position to do that. That will give you an idea of the kinds of files and folders you're looking for though, so you can use Spotlight or other tools to look. I hope this helps!

This discussion has been closed.