To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

I installed 1Password on my new PClaptop. Now I can't open it using my password.

Hi,
I got a new PC laptop from work. My 1Password data is on box (corporate) and I have that synced to my desktop. I installed 1Password on the new machine. But now when I try to launch 1Password and put in my password (that still works just fine on the old laptop) it won't let me open it.
I get this the error message that says "1Password has encountered a problem." Unable to unlock 1Password vault. Your 1Password Valut could not be unlocked with the password you provided. Please verify the password and try again."

Not sure what to do.
Help please?
bill

1Password Version: old PC = 4.6.2.626
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: windows 10.0.15063
Sync Type: box
Referrer: forum-search:I installed 1Password on my new PClaptop. Now I can't open it using my password.

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bill_hefferman: The Master Password for the first vault/account you setup in the app is the one which you'll need to enter to unlock it. So you will need to enter the correct password for the specific vault you're using there. It's possible that the data isn't finished syncing, or you have a different one selected in the app, but you can always open another from the File menu. Then 1Password will unlock using its Master Password. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• bill_hefferman
    bill_hefferman
    Community Member

Hi,
    I signed up for the monthly subscription service and it's now up and running.
    However, I don't know how to access my data and load it up in the app.
    Can you send a procedure for me to do this?
    thanks,
    bill

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

Hi @bill_hefferman :)
    If you need to migrate any data from an old standalone vault, you can follow these instructions to do so.

Otherwise all you need to do is add your computer to your new 1Password account.

Hope that helps. :)

• bill_hefferman
    bill_hefferman
    Community Member

Hi,
    It sort of worked but not entirely.
    I have one password with all my data on my old laptop.
    Under the file menu, I selected "export" but then it only gave me the choice to export "all logins" but I have some items that are not so classified as logins (wallet, secure notes, etc.) that don't export in the csv spreadsheet.
    So it's an incomplete data transfer.

Can you tell me an easy way to export ALL my data then import it into 1Password.com?
    thanks,
    Bill

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

@bill_hefferman
    You should not have to use the export function at all for to move your data. Everything is done within the 1Password app itself on your computer. Try using these Migration instructions. There is a tab there for Windows. You can use those instructions to migrate your data to your 1Password.com account without ever having to use the export function.

Let me know if you're having trouble with a specific step. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bill_hefferman: Yeah you definitely should not need to do an import/export dance to get existing 1Password data into 1Password.com. Be sure to let us know if you have questions!

• bill_hefferman
    bill_hefferman
    Community Member

Hi,
    There is a disconnect between what I see on my screen and what the instructional video tells me to do. In the video it shows a "setting icon" in upper right of the screen but I don't have that on my 1Password.com app screen. I just have my profile name and there when I click that I see an option for "import." But when I click that, I don't get anything that looks like what I see in the instructional video.
    It then says to "Select AgileKeychain or OPVault folder, then choose “Select a folder” and open your vault." but I don't get that option.
    I am going in circles with all this going on 3-4 hours and getting pretty frustrated. Is it possible to actually talk to a human and get some help?

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    edited October 2017

@bill_hefferman
    You're on the 1Password web interface, in your browser. That's not where this is done, forget about that. The migration process is done through the regular 1Password app on your computer. If you have not done so, download 1Password 6 and log in to your account on it. Then follow that earlier migration video which will tell you the steps within the 1Password 6 program, not through the 1Password web interface on your browser.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bill_hefferman: Indeed, make sure you install the Windows app in step 1, and then the rest will follow from there. And we've got humans here for you any time you have a question! ;)

• bill_hefferman
    bill_hefferman
    Community Member

Hello again,
    I now have a new laptop. I need to get 1Password working on my new Thinkpad (windows). I recently signed up for the monthly subscription service. I got my emergency kit and then (quelle surprise!) promptly lost it. Seersly...have looked high and low in my laptop folders. Nada.
    So, I need to get another copy of my secret key and whatever other secret handshake I need to get 1Password up and running on the new laptop. Little help please?
    thanks,
    Bill

• bill_hefferman
    bill_hefferman
    Community Member

Hi again,
    Found my emergency kit. Problem solved for now. Thanks.
    Bill

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Great to hear, Bill! The Emergency Kit can definitely come in handy. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.