My vault entries are duplicates. How to empty and start over.

Options
toddvogel
toddvogel
Community Member

My entries are duplicated in my 1Password Account. How do I start over. I'm not computer illiterate but have found the instructions to synch on Mac and IOS rather maddening. Login items are either missing or duplicated. It's not at all clear how to get the scan QR code to come up, etc. Thanks for any help.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:duplicates

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there @toddvogel :)
    Sorry for the trouble. Might I ask, what exactly were you trying to do when everything went weird on you? Did you have a standalone vault that you were intending on migrating to a 1Password account? Or were you trying to do something else? The more info you can tell me as to what you were trying to do, what you did and what did (or did not) happen, the better I can try and help you.

Thanks in advance. :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @toddvogel! If you have duplicates of your data, it sounds as if you may have tried migrating your data from an older local vault into a 1password.com account, but still have the older local vault present. You'll see duplicates in the All Vaults view, but if you switch to one particular vault, you should see only the data in that one vault.

Having said that, there are plenty of ways you could have wound up with duplicated items, so before either @Corey_C or I start firing specific suggestions at you, in order to get a better idea of what the situation is on your Mac, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#RPC-59298-281]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. We'll take a look and let you know what we find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @toddvogel only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

• toddvogel
    toddvogel
    Community Member
    Options

I have been happily using the 1 PW app on my iPhone and iPad, and my computer. All are up to date. But I decided Dropbox Synching wasn't the best option, so I got an account at the 1password website. I tried to decipher the instructions to migrate data from my desktop to the website and thought I did so successfully, though it took me a long time to figure out where to find the QR code for scanning. Next I connected my iphone. Yesterday I changed one of my passwords but it did not update on the phone. So I restored my phone's 1pw database from a recent backup. Then I noticed that all the entries were doubled at the website. If I could just clear out my vault at the website I think I"d be back in biz.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

So I restored my phone's 1pw database from a recent backup. Then I noticed that all the entries were doubled at the website.

@toddvogel: Yep, that's the problem. Restoring from that backup put back the local vault you'd already migrated to your 1Password.com account. So, with both of those, you'd have two of everything again.

If I could just clear out my vault at the website I think I"d be back in biz.

I'd recommend the opposite. Sign into 1Password.com in your web browser. Do you have all of your data there? If so, it's much easier to start over in the app and set it up with only your 1Password.com account, so that all of your devices can have the same data. Let me know!

• toddvogel
    toddvogel
    Community Member
    Options

Respectfully, I don't think you are understanding the issue. At 1password.com my entries are all doubled. When I bring those data over to the app, say on my phone, then all the entries are doubled on my phone (which makes sense). So, having done that, I restored the phone's 1password from a recent backup. I'd like to be able to do that on the website. I've tried importing a new file but that, of course, results in redundancies, not a clean file.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Respectfully, I don't think you are understanding the issue.

@toddvogel: Sorry about that. It's very possible I'm misunderstanding. There aren't many details in your previous comments, and it looks like you haven't sent any of the information Lars requested above.

At 1password.com my entries are all doubled. When I bring those data over to the app, say on my phone, then all the entries are doubled on my phone (which makes sense). So, having done that, I restored the phone's 1password from a recent backup. I'd like to be able to do that on the website. I've tried importing a new file but that, of course, results in redundancies, not a clean file.

Yep, that makes sense. But resetting 1Password on your device won't affect the data in your account. If it did, you'd have just destroyed all of your data — which is usually a bad thing. If you want, you can start over by deleting everything in the account, and then migrate your data again](https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#migrate-your-data-on-your-main-device), this time only once, from the iPhone. That way you'll have only a single copy of each item. I'm sorry I can't be more specific than that, but if you'll send the diagnostics Lars asked for we can give more details instructions.

ref: RPC-59298-281

This discussion has been closed.