Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:One password requires authorization shows up constantly

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @meadow153 :)
    Sorry for the trouble. Do you, perchance, sync your 1Password data with iCloud? If so, that may be the cause of the issue. A little while back, Apple chanced their (re-)authentication window for iCloud to around 8 hours, causing it to ask you to re-authenticate very often. Next time the window shows up, if you check the "Keep me signed in" box, it will extend the window to about 30 days and will ask you far less often.

If you don't sync with iCloud and that is not the problem, could you give a little more information about your situation? When does it ask for authorization? What sync method do you use? Any information you can give me will help me help you.

Cheers :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@meadow153: Indeed, unless you check that box when signing in, your iCloud authorization from Apple will expire every 8 hours or so. Definitely give that a try! :)

• meadow153
    meadow153
    Community Member
    Options

I use Dropbox. Authorization happens every time I open Safari. An unrelated issue (or maybe related?) is that when I open sites in Safari, like gmail, I'm now constantly required to sign back in.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@meadow153: Possibly unrelated then. Could you please clarify what you're seeing? If it's simpler, take a screenshot of this. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to post anything sensitive, as this is a public forum. One thought is that if you're clearing your browser frequently you'll certainly not have sites "remember" you, and therefore have to login each time. 1Password makes this much easier to deal with though. Let me know what you find! :)

• meadow153
    meadow153
    Community Member
    Options

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2017
    Options

@meadow153 - ah, OK -- that's a different matter than iCloud authentication. This is communication on your own device (vs. over the internet) that is asking you to verify that what you see in your browser is the same thing as what you see in the 1Password (which prevents any potential malicious cracked or replacement extension pretending to be 1Password).

The good news here is: that means you're using a genuine version of the 1Password extension. But it shouldn't pop up like that repeatedly. I'm wondering: what version of your macOS, of browser, of 1Password, and of the 1Password extension in your browser are you currently using?

• meadow153
    meadow153
    Community Member
    Options

It has stopped doing it every time - now it's very sporadic - I did uncheck "Put hard disk to sleep when possible".
    macOS 10.13.1
    browser Safari 11.0.1
    1Password 6.8.3
    1Password extension 4.6.11

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@meadow153 -- putting the hard disk to sleep won't affect this (or shouldn't; we don't have any other reports of such a problem). But what it WILL affect it is if you're cleaning out the browser cache/cookies. 1Password stores the authorization within the browser, so if you're routinely emptying this out (either via a cleanup app or manually on your own), you'll need to re-authorize after each time you do this.

• meadow153
    meadow153
    Community Member
    Options

That has got to be it. I clean cookies and browser history regularly, and I like to clean caches - when you say "cache/cookies", is it just the cookie or is it also the history? I can authorize the cookie - or is there a particular cache also involved?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@meadow153 Hrm. Actually, I just had a brief chat with one of our extension developers about this, and he suggested I ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac, to get a closer look at what might be going on internally. Here's how:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#WPH-25829-316]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. We'll take a look and let you know what we find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @meadow153 only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: WPH-25829-316

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2017
    Options

Just to clarify, we're not using cookies, but the browser authentication token for the extension (and 1Password.com authorization, if you use that in your browser) is kept in the browser's local storage. So cleaning the browser can definitely affect that. But the diagnostics will tell us if something else is going wrong in your case too.

• meadow153
    meadow153
    Community Member
    Options

Requiring authorization seems to have stopped for the last several days, so let's wait and see if it comes back - thanks for you help and interest in this matter - good customer service

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks, @meadow153! I'm glad things have smoothed out and are working normally for you now. :)

This discussion has been closed.