1Password launched old copy off of non-boot drive

Options
mschmitt
mschmitt
Community Member

I was running 1Password 6.8.1 on macOS Sierra 10.12.6. I cloned my internal boot drive to an external drive, ejected that drive. Then I used the 1Password updater to update to 6.8.3. 1Password mini is set to always run.

Later I rebooted. The external backup drive mounts at boot, and when I tried to eject it, I discovered that 1Password was running the older copy on the external drive, not the newer copy on the current startup drive.

How did that happen? If Launch Services is involved, it is supposed to give preference to the application on the boot volume, and then the one with the latest version number.

1Password Version: 6.8.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.12.16
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mschmitt: I agree that it should give preference to the boot volume, but it doesn't seem to — and often people have multiple copies on there anyway, so that isn't a perfect solution. 1Password doesn't have any control over this, but you do by deleting extra copies or zipping them so macOS can't launch the wrong one. You can always download a fresh copy from our site if you need it, after all — and you're a couple releases behind anyway, so now wouldn't be a bad time to do that anyway. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.