Beta version not allowed to add new entries w/o purchase?

vastargazer
vastargazer
Community Member

Hi Guys,
This morning I started receiving an unexpected message while using the 1Password Android Beta.
The message is telling me that my 1Password trial has ended and I need to purchase to use the pro features. Did the Beta period end? At this point I only know it is impacting my Android Beta install as I haven't tried using my Mac instance today.

Did the Beta period end or is this an error?

Mark

1Password Version: 6.7 BETA-1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 7.0 (8/1/17)
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• vastargazer
    vastargazer
    Community Member

Hi Guys,
    This morning I started receiving an unexpected message while using the 1Password Android Beta.
    The message is telling me that my 1Password trial has ended and I need to purchase to use the pro features. Did the Beta period end? At this point I only know it is impacting my Android Beta install as I haven't tried using my Mac instance today.

Did the Beta period end or is this an error?

Mark

1Password Version: 6.7.BETA-1
    OS Version: Android 7.0 (8/1/2017)
    Sync Type: Dropbox

• vastargazer
    vastargazer
    Community Member

P.S. Last update to 1Password was 3 days ago via Playstore.

• Hi Mark,

Let me start by thanking you for being a part of our beta family. Our beta programs are an integral part of our development process and 1Password certainly wouldn't be what it is today with your collective help!

What you're seeing in 1Password for Android isn't an error but rather a deliberate change that will help us improve our beta testing. An important goal of beta testing is to cover all of the possible usage patterns that customers will follow when using the app. Up until now, we've been compiling beta versions of 1Password for Android with a special build configuration that is different than that used by customers on the stable version. As a result, this has increasingly meant that our beta testers are using the app in a different way than customers on the stable version.

In order to better meet the goals of our beta program, we have decided to use the same build configuration for beta and stable releases. As a result, the beta builds should behave in exactly the same way as the stable builds (with the notable exception of any new changes introduced in the beta). A side-effect of this is that beta testers will now be prompted to pay for 1Password in the same way that customers on the stable version are.

I hope that information helps make sense of what you're seeing in the app. Please let me know if you have any additional questions!

Cheers,
    Michael

• saad
    edited October 2017

@vastargazer I have merged both of your forum posts into this thread since they are of the same concern. Michael has already answered your question in this thread! If you have any other inquiries, please continue the discussion in this thread. Thanks! :chuffed:

• vastargazer
    vastargazer
    Community Member

Hi Guys,

No worries. The message just caught me off guard. If there was a notice to Beta users, I must have missed it.

First, thanks for merging the threads. I tried to se if I could delete the non-beta thread one but didn't see how to do that so wanted to make sure it was in the correct place.

Second, no worries. Its been great having the benefit of using the Android with pro features for as long as we had the opportunity. 1Password is an awesome program and well worth the cost of the Android app to keep using the features.

Thanks again and love the product!

Cheers,
    mark

• Hey Mark,

I'm glad to have a passionate user such as yourself on our beta team. Thanks for your help with testing and your understanding in making this change!

Cheers,
    Michael

• mzel
    mzel
    Community Member

I've been using beta for quite some time, probably around 4 years. For all this time it had all the PRO features despite the expired trial. A couple of months ago it lost the PRO.

1Password Version: 6.7b2
    OS Version: Android 6
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mzel: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! I've merged your post with the existing discussion here. As MVerde mentioned above, this is a change we made in 6.7 to make sure we can test things thoroughly in beta and release as a stable version once testing is complete.

• vfreitas
    vfreitas
    Community Member

So, this means that we have to pay to use and help you correct bugs for the beta version of the program?

• Hi @vfreitas. Thanks for your help with beta testing! If you haven't read mverde's post above, please do so, as it explains why Pro features are no longer available for free on the beta version. I'm sorry we're not able to offer them for free anymore, and I understand if you prefer to switch to the stable channel.

If you want to switch to a 1Password account instead, you get the first 30 days free to test it out, and see if you like it.

• vfreitas
    vfreitas
    Community Member

Hi Peri, yes I read the mverde's post and understand what he wrote but if we, beta testers, are somehow risking in working with beta product, shouldn't there be some kind of appreciation from AgileBits? Bluntly, why should I buy a beta product with the exact price of the stable version just to help you correct the bugs? Sorry but, for me, this isn't right and will not buy it. Will change and try another Password Manager

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2018

Hi Peri, yes I read the mverde's post and understand what he wrote but if we, beta testers, are somehow risking in working with beta product, shouldn't there be some kind of appreciation from AgileBits?

@vfreitas: We do appreciate those who choose to use the betas, but the whole point of betas is to test new releases; and it's impossible to do that thoroughly if we have to change the code from beta to stable, which is why we've made this change, as Verde explained above.

Bluntly, why should I buy a beta product with the exact price of the stable version just to help you correct the bugs? Sorry but, for me, this isn't right and will not buy it. Will change and try another Password Manager

You can use the stable version instead if you prefer that to the betas, as the latter do come with caveats. We don't want people running prerelease software if they're not comfortable doing so. Certainly it can be a drag since we'll inevitably break things sometimes, but that's why we have beta testing in the first place. A big reason that we have a public beta channel at all is that if we didn't we'd be spending too much time answering messages asking why we didn't.

Frankly, we're not going to pay anyone to use 1Password. If we didn't charge money for our products, there would be no one here to answer your questions or make the betas or stable releases. Ultimately if you're not willing to pay us for our work, you can use something else. I certainly hope that you get paid for your work! We'd also rather you use a competitor's product to secure your data than nothing at all. Stay safe out there!

• vfreitas
    vfreitas
    Community Member

Hi brenty, I think you misunderstand my words. I don't want you to pay me for using 1Password nor you shouldn't ask for payment for beta testers to do your work, i.e. testing products. And, honestly, how many beta testers do you have? 5% of your customers? So, don't say that are the payment from beta testers that support your company. No more to say, I think you all (1Password and community members) understand what I mean. It was a pleasure to use 1Password until now but I am out. Bye Bye.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2018

@vfreitas: I'm sorry if I misunderstood. I wasn't suggesting that you pay to use the beta. You can use the version you paid for, stable or beta. But it sounds like you just wanted to use 1Password for free. That doesn't "support [our] company" any more than someone using your product, service, or labour for free supports you. Take care. :(

This discussion has been closed.