After updating to version 6.8.3 today on Mac High Sierra 1Password is in Read-Only mode.

frank_westphal
frank_westphal
Community Member

1Password was purchased from the Mac App Store on 1/2/2015 and has worked until the 6.8.3 update installed on 10/16/17. How do I exit Read-Only so I can enter new passwords into the program. The 1Password programs on my IOS devices are not locked in read only mode. If I add a new password on the IOS device the MAC program is updated. The only issue is adding new passwords on the MAC. Thank you for a solution.

1Password Version: 6.8.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: High Sierra
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• datorndata
    datorndata
    Community Member

Same here. WTH?

• Hi @frank_westphal and @datorndata,

This typically happens when users are using the 1Password for Mac from our website, but then switch over to 1Password for Mac from the Mac App Store. Does that sound like a possibility? If you've been using 1Password for Mac from our website, you should stick to it and not install 1Password from the Mac App Store.

Rick

• frank_westphal
    frank_westphal
    Community Member

I have only used 1Password purchased from the MAC App store on 1/2/2015. The problem started with the V6.8.3 update installed from the APP Store.

• datorndata
    datorndata
    Community Member

I bought it from the App Store. I have the receipt. It works fine on my phone (iPhone) and desktop (iMac), but it is in read only mode on my laptop.

• Can you both confirm that you did the update while using the same Apple ID as you used to do the initial purchase?

Rick

• frank_westphal
    frank_westphal
    Community Member

When I installed the update the APP store asked for the password for the Apple ID associated with the original purchase. I entered the password successfully and the update installed.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@frank_westphal - And you're still in read-only mode? That shouldn't be. To get a better idea of what's going on, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the subject of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#CRQ-53281-255]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. We'll take a look and let you know what we find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @frank_westphal only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: CRQ-53281-255

• Garnoch
    Garnoch
    Community Member
    edited October 2017

Same here. Purchased this outright on the Mac App Store previously and now it's Read Only. Though it's possible that the app was purchased in our main family account before we switched to Apple's Family Sharing, this has never been an issue until now. I'm not a happy camper at the moment regardless of how happy my avatar seems to look. I'm still on Sierra by the way, so this isn't related to High Sierra.

Also, When I tried to open 1Password a couple of days ago, I was prompted that the app was damaged and would have to be deleted then re-downloaded from the App Store, which I did. The problems happened after that

Edit:
    Diagnostic Sent

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Garnoch

...it's possible that the app was purchased in our main family account before we switched to Apple's Family Sharing...

If you have had more than one Apple ID, I'd look there first. For quite some time, 1Password for Mac was a paid app on the Mac App Store, and if you bought it during that time and later downloaded 1Password using the same Apple ID used to initially purchase, you should have all the features restored.

However, for some time now, 1Password for Mac has been free to download, with a requirement that customers use in-app purchases to either buy it outright (like it used to be), or subscribe to a 1password.com membership. So it's possible you could have downloaded it for free using a different Apple ID, then have the app go into read-only mode as a result of no purchase having been made using the Apple ID you used to download it this time. Check to see whether you've downloaded using the same Apple ID as when you originally purchased and let us know what you discover.

• Garnoch
    Garnoch
    Community Member
    edited October 2017

I definitely purchased it though, both on the macOS and iOS, not as an in app purchase. We did this before your went free.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Garnoch - right. It's not that I don't believe you (of course I DO believe you). But Apple doesn't know if you've purchased something with another Apple ID, if you're signed in currently using a different one. It just checks against the list of purchases made with the Apple ID you're CURRENTLY signed in to the Mac App Store with, and if it doesn't see a previous purchase, it doesn't restore it because there's nothing to restore.

Perhaps at this point, to get a better idea of what might be going on, it would be a good idea for you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#UTE-48163-343]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. We'll take a look and let you know what we find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @Garnoch only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: UTE-48163-343

• Garnoch
    Garnoch
    Community Member

I realize you believe me and appreciate it. I was just being clear that I had purchased before your model changed. Also, like I stated above, I have already sent in the diagnostic. Thank you for the link.

And you are correct. I just deleted the app and signed into the Mac App Store from the account it was actually purchased from and it now works. This isn't cool though. I purchased 1Password outright and have had no problem using it through Apple's Family Sharing up until this latest update. This purchase was made before you changed your model. I can understand this issue taking place if I had purchased after your model was changed, but the fact that the terms seemed to have been changed for those of us that purchased 1Password back when you made the decision to sell it the way you were selling it, probably won't sit right with those customers. I know it's not sitting right with me.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Garnoch - Thanks for taking the time to send in the diagnostics report, and I'm glad to hear signing in with your original-purchase Apple ID resulted in having your data available and not read-only. Since you've replied by email, let's keep the conversation going that way.

ref: LJW-94294-788

• frank_westphal
    frank_westphal
    Community Member

I am still in read only mode. The requested Diagnostic Report has been emailed. The original purchase and the update used the same Apple ID.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@frank_westphal -- thanks! Let's continue the conversation via email, since it contains personally-identifying information. Thanks!

• datorndata
    datorndata
    Community Member

It's possible that I did not update when signed into the same apple id; I have one for personal and one for business. What should I do, maybe delete the app then download again while signed into the correct apple id from the receipt? What is your advice?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@datorndata: Indeed. It can definitely be confusing. I'm not sure why, but I've run into the same issue with many apps from time to time, as if the App Store can't recognize them for some reason — perhaps something was damaged in the update process. Anyway, it's easy to fix: you can safely drag the app to the Trash because the data is stored separately (just DON'T use a "cleaner" app to remove it!) After that restart your Mac and install a fresh copy from the App Store, and you'll be good to go. Cheers! :)

• Henry_Domke
    Henry_Domke
    Community Member

From the About menu on my Desktop:
    1Password
    Version 6.8.3 (683004)
    Mac App Store

My Laptop say expires in two days when using 1Password 6 and read only when using the App Store version. How do I get the license info to put on my laptop so it doesn't expire?

• frank_westphal
    frank_westphal
    Community Member

After three days of back and forth with tech support I was told to delete the program and reinstall from the MAC App Store. The program is now unlocked and is not in read only mode. Very glad to have the problem resolved. Not happy that it took 3 days for tech support to suggest such a simple fix.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@frank_westphal - thanks for the update. That's excellent news! I'm glad we were able to help you get things squared away.

Regarding the length of time it took to troubleshoot and resolve your issue, I’m very sorry that it took longer than you'd have preferred. Unfortunately just as in medicine, there is no "magic pill" in the software industry. Sometimes we have to troubleshoot (guess and check) to try to resolve an issue. Please understand that troubleshooting is a process. I understand you were frustrated by the back and forth, but we did our best to assist you, and in the end, wound up with a successful result.

Troubleshooting a problem on someone's is not much different from visiting your doctor with a medical problem: they are going to have to do some information gathering, some diagnostics, and some trial and error before they can solve your problem. A medication that might work for someone else might not work for you. The same holds true here. No two systems are the same, so when one breaks the best we can do is go off of your description of the problem plus our experience with similar issues and whatever any troubleshooting reports tell us.

Please let us know if there's anything further we can do to assist you. Otherwise, have a great week, and thanks for being a 1Password user!

• Henry_Domke
    Henry_Domke
    Community Member

We moved the 1 Password and 1Password 6 to the Trash, then re downloaded from App Store and it did not work.
    Only 2 days left before it expires what should we do?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2017

@Henry_Domke: It sounds like you're maybe having a very different issue. Did you perhaps sign up for a 1Password.com account, and that is the trial that is almost up? You'll have received an email for that. Otherwise, please be more specific. Did you purchase 1Password, and, if so, from where? You'll have an email receipt for it.

• Henry_Domke
    Henry_Domke
    Community Member

Purchased 1Password from App Store, that is still working fine on a Mac Pro Desktop. The Laptop has both 1Password from App Store and 1Password 6 trial, We moved the 1 Password and 1Password 6 to the Trash, then re downloaded from App Store and it did not work.
    Only read only mode on App from App Store. I can not find any email from Agilebits with any kind of license number. I did find email from Apple of original purchase of 1Password.

• Henry_Domke
    Henry_Domke
    Community Member

do we need to setup a 1Password account or purchase 1Password 6? or should we be able to use the App Store purchase on both the Laptop and Desktop. FYI: we also use the iPhone App without problems at this time.

• matsonpl
    matsonpl
    Community Member

Hi, sadly I am having the same problem that the others on this forum are - my 1 password account on my laptop is in "read-only" mode. This has only been for a few days and the program still works on my phone. I purchased it from the App Store. It's pretty frustrating. Thanks for any help.

• rootless
    rootless
    Community Member

I had the same issue. Deleting the app and downloading it again after I signed in with the Apple account used for purchase solved the problem.

Please update your Support page and the maybe the FAQ to make this information more accessible. I spent about an hour trying to figure out what is the problem and finding this simple solution. And it looks like it's a pretty common issue for the old users of the standalone app.
    Thanks.

• Henry_Domke
    Henry_Domke
    Community Member

rootless, that did not work of us. Even move "1Password 6" and "1Password" from App store to trash first. Did you empty trash or remove any Library files?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2017

Purchased 1Password from App Store, that is still working fine on a Mac Pro Desktop. The Laptop has both 1Password from App Store and 1Password 6 trial, We moved the 1 Password and 1Password 6 to the Trash, then re downloaded from App Store and it did not work.
    Only read only mode on App from App Store. I can not find any email from Agilebits with any kind of license number. I did find email from Apple of original purchase of 1Password.

@Henry_Domke: If you have your receipt from Apple, you can find the correct Apple ID there to use. The purchase is tied to that, so the App Store will not validate your purchase — and you'll be stuck in Read Only mode — unless you use the correct account.

do we need to setup a 1Password account or purchase 1Password 6? or should we be able to use the App Store purchase on both the Laptop and Desktop. FYI: we also use the iPhone App without problems at this time.

Just to be completely clear, if you did not purchase 1Password from the Mac App Store, you won't be entitled to use that standalone version. I mention this in case you purchased 1Password for iOS and were expecting that to work on your Mac as well.

If you did purchase 1Password for Mac and are having trouble with the App Store for some reason, there are 3 options:

• Contact Apple for assistance with your purchase. We don't have access to their systems, and if it were me I'd be concerned about running into issues with my Apple ID in the future as well.
    • Sign up for a 1Password.com membership instead, since that includes all of the apps, along with many other benefits.
    • But certainly if you prefer to use the standalone version of 1Password and purchased it from the Mac App Store, we can give you an AgileBits Store license for that version instead. Just shoot us an email with a copy of your Mac App Store receipt at support@1password.com and post the Support ID you receive here so we can help.
  • AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Hi, sadly I am having the same problem that the others on this forum are - my 1 password account on my laptop is in "read-only" mode. This has only been for a few days and the program still works on my phone. I purchased it from the App Store. It's pretty frustrating. Thanks for any help.

@matsonpl: The Mac App Store version will be "Read Only" if you:

• Did not purchase 1Password from the Mac App Store
    • Purchased it there using a different Apple ID
    • Purchased only 1Password for iOS
    • Purchased 1Password from the AgileBits Store
    • Or have a 1Password.com membership yet didn't sign into your account in the app

If you did purchase 1Password for Mac and are having trouble with the App Store for some reason, there are 3 options:

• Contact Apple for assistance with your purchase. We don't have access to their systems, and if it were me I'd be concerned about running into issues with my Apple ID in the future as well.
    • Sign up for a 1Password.com membership instead, since that includes all of the apps, along with many other benefits.
    • But certainly if you prefer to use the standalone version of 1Password and purchased it from the Mac App Store, we can give you an AgileBits Store license for that version instead. Just shoot us an email with a copy of your Mac App Store receipt at support@1password.com and post the Support ID you receive here so we can help.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2017

I had the same issue. Deleting the app and downloading it again after I signed in with the Apple account used for purchase solved the problem.

@rootless: Nice! And you didn't even need root privileges to do it. ;) Glad to hear that worked for you. :chuffed:

Please update your Support page and the maybe the FAQ to make this information more accessible. I spent about an hour trying to figure out what is the problem and finding this simple solution. And it looks like it's a pretty common issue for the old users of the standalone app. Thanks.

It's something we can consider, but I'm not sure that's appropriate, as this is not a 1Password issue and applies to any app purchased from the App Store: if you're not using the correct Apple ID when you install the app, the purchase won't be validated. And if you're doing everything right, we still can't help since the App Store is owned and operated by Apple. But regardless we're always here to at least help point you in the right direction even when there isn't something we can do to resolve that issue for you ourselves. :blush:

This discussion has been closed.